Sponsored by:

DEAD DEAD Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I think Porsche should have a built in automatic charger...so all you have to do is pull the extension cord and plug in the car.
abe
Great idea! Now would that make Porsche an environmental friendly plug-in too?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Not true at all. Visit Corvette Forums and check for yourself. Modern cars have electronics running 24/7 and they use power. The Porsche in particular automatically activates its internal alarm system, which has infrared sources inside the cabin lit 24/7.

It also depends on pattern usage. Many sports cars are driven little and short distances, which are not sufficient to charge the battery and compensate for the discharge (high current) of successive starts.
Agree. I also have an Odyssey (it's a Honda minivan) and I would assume majority of these are driven daily yet many complain batteries lasting only 2-3 years. Modern cars are just hard on batteries as more and more electronics or computers run on them yet the battery technology has not changed much over the years.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwdwight
It must be a European thing!! I have parked my GMC Yukon for a couple months and it fires right up too.....oh well.
If your GMC has less than 7,500 miles in 3 years, and it fires right up after a couple of months without the battery being trickle-charged previously, then yes, it must be an European thing.

As others have mentioned, 7,500 miles aren't enough to keep a 3+ year-old battery charged. A battery maintainer is your solution.

Last edited by Ucube; 04-28-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a new charger. I was all set on buying the Porsche one, but did some research and found that its just a re-branded CTek charger. The identical one that Porsche sells for $115, amazon has for $64! Its model US U3300. You'll have to pop for the cigarette adapter for $10 though. I went ahead and got CTek's top range the U7003 which is $115 but can recondition dead batteries and has a cell battery setting for Optima type batteries. Its a nice piece of equipment. Highly recommend.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
B_Rob
8th Gear

Got the Porsche charger with cigarette adapter for free from my dealer when I bought my car.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 AM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by B_Rob
Got the Porsche charger with cigarette adapter for free from my dealer when I bought my car.
Bruno - I am taking you with me next time I buy a P-car!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the B+ Cable checked. These are known to leak current and will kill a battery in a few short weeks. I used to be able to travel on biz for three weeks and come back without any problem, and then started having trouble after the car was 3 years old (already out of warranty - over 50k miles). Replaced the battery and still had problems. Finally the dealer fingered the B+ Cable. We replaced it and everything was fine again.

Quick Reply: DEAD DEAD Battery