997.2 C4S First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 997.2 C4S First Impressions

I got my new DD about ten days ago. White with Tan interior.
Key options are:

PDK
Sport Chrono Plus
Sport PASM
PSE
Dynamic Cornering Lights
Bluetooth, Ipod etc.

PDK remains impressive. Depending on what mode you are in, i.e., normal, sport, sport plus, the transmission shifts quickly or in sport plus damn quick - I'd say about as fast as the Ferrari 430 in 'race mode'. Shift quality goes from seamless to slightly brusque but nothing as rude as the Ferrari. In automatic mode it shifts like something from GM, nice. I did notice that slowing abruptly in stop and go traffic occasionally produces a bit of a jolt when the box shifts into first gear. To my surprise the gearbox has a bit of "creep" built in, like an automatic!

After a week I am completely comfortable with the shift paddles/buttons. Different from my 430 but fine once you get used to them. Have not tried launch control - a cute feature but one which I am unlikely to find useful.

Sport PASM lowers the car 20 mm. All I can say is that the car is nearly as low as my 997 RS. I lower myself into it as opposed to getting in.

Having just spent a track weekend with my RS, I can also say that sport PASM in "normal" mode seems to be almost as firm as the RS with PASM set to normal. If you want a cushy ride, I'd avoid the sport PASM option. In sport mode, I can barely tell the difference from 'normal'. That will have to wait until break-in is complete and I can try it on the track.

PSE is wonderful. Engaged it drops the exhaust note by an octave and while driving the car sounds great on a drive-by. Loud enough to be heard but not enough to attract unwarranted attention from cops or sound pressure level meters at tracks with noise limits. It burbles nicely on the over-run too!

Steering is much heavier than my RS, not sure if this is result of the AWD system or not. Not bad, just different. The steering wheel is thicker than the RS in spite of my GT3 having the "thicker wheel" option.

The Bluetooth option works fine, it took about ten seconds to set it up with my Blackberry 8830. It downloaded the phone book at the same time. Haven't tested the Ipod interface, I bought it for resale value. I am an XM radio/Blomberg fanatic and don't own an Ipod.

I do have a few nits. The window switches have mongo springs in them and require about three times more effort than the 997 or 997 RS. They are shaped differently too, with a hollow on the underside which is not well finished. A new supplier I suppose. As usual, they are one touch down but up requires that you hold the button til the window is past half way, then it carries on by itself. I can't understand why they behave that way and I wonder if someone with a PWIS can program that feature out.

The mandatory sun roof is neither one touch open or close, a cheap feature in a car of this price. Hondas have it standard!

The standard Xenon headlights are "brilliant" and the swiveling feature is endearing on dark country roads. It is not as good as the Cayenne which in addition to a swivel has additional lamps which light directly to the side. Too bad, I was hoping for that.

The standard PS2 tires are very noisy on several common paving surfaces, I mean really loud. I don't know if that is a function of the sport PASM suspension or not. The noise level is high enough to be a nuisance in what is supposed to be a business mans express.

Best,
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up Bob, thanks for posting.

I've yet to hear the new PSE.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats Bob! Bet it looks nice, that combo.

But you know what they say, and I guess I'll be first to say it:

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Pics please! I am totally interested in a C4S cab!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good synopsis.

i like PDK better than F1, and the floppy pedal criticism is over done (imo). I have used both on the track and each works well. It seems to me that PDK is a better engineering solution than the F1.

I would not hesitate to buy a PDK car, but I just can't bring myself to buy an F1 car.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The mandatory sun roof is neither one touch open or close, a cheap feature in a car of this price. Hondas have it standard!

Might want to double check this one. Agreed, no 1 touch to close, but it should be 1 touch to open. Just have to flick the switch quickly.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new ride Bob. I'm jealous!!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

huh ? thought moderators would know better. no pics ? take a week off and come back to us when you learn the rules....

nice ride, dawg.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Might want to double check this one. Agreed, no 1 touch to close, but it should be 1 touch to open. Just have to flick the switch quickly.
u sure?
on my 997gt3, it was one touch open and close.
it's a USA model.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the AWD vs. your RWD 997 variants?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 997.1 sunroof has one-touch open and close. The only operation without one-touch is closing from the tilt position.

Nice write-up, Bob, and congrats on the new ride!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

CBejbl. You're right. One touch open but not to close the sunroof.

Pics will follow. No camera on this Blackberry
Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Michael Russell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob --

Congrats on the new machine. I wanted to chime in and say I am in complete agreement with the road ROAR with the Pilot Sport 2 tires, and Sport PASM. It is absolutely awful in my car here in the pac northwest where they actually use CHAINS in the winter, (what is this, the 50's?) Consequently the roads for 200 miles in every direction have the most horrendous exposed aggregate surface. I have measured it at 105db inside the car at a sedate 60mph. that is LOUD. I want to do a nice roadtrip in the car, but am thinking I will absolutely have to wear earplugs!

I'm in love with my car except for this one, rather large issue.

Michael
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Any one knows if the PSE can be retrofitted? I would love to add one to my car if I can have a PSE switch and control it. Otherwise, I would probably just get the Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipes.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
CBejbl. You're right. One touch open but not to close the sunroof.

Pics will follow. No camera on this Blackberry
This is correct Bob.
What is odd is that my 997.1 was one touch open AND close.

Congrats on your new toy.....as a former C4S owner they are fantastic DDs.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S First Impressions