Sponsored by:

997.2 C4S First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009 | 11:24 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The standard PS2 tires are very noisy on several common paving surfaces, I mean really loud. I don't know if that is a function of the sport PASM suspension or not. The noise level is high enough to be a nuisance in what is supposed to be a business mans express.
What size are the wheels? 19's??
Old 04-28-2009 | 11:43 AM
B_Rob
8th Gear

The standard PS2 tires are very noisy on several common paving surfaces, I mean really loud. I don't know if that is a function of the sport PASM suspension or not. The noise level is high enough to be a nuisance in what is supposed to be a business mans express.
Congrats for your new ride, I got mine probably the same day as you. I have the 19'' PS2 with Sport PASM and I agree that they are loud. Can't say that this is a nuisance, and my daughter was able to fall asleep in the car.

For the S-PASM, I am surprise how it feels in normal mode, it's hard but it's not too bad, wife and daughter don't complain. I tought it would be much harder than it is.
Old 04-28-2009 | 11:53 AM
jwdwight
Instructor

Thanks for all the detail....great information!! Fun DD!
Old 05-01-2009 | 06:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well done Bob! The PDK is great for a daily D. I know what you mean about the steering.
Old 08-08-2009 | 04:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I got my new DD about ten days ago. White with Tan interior.
Key options are:

PDK
Sport Chrono Plus
Sport PASM
PSE
Dynamic Cornering Lights
Bluetooth, Ipod etc.

PDK remains impressive. Depending on what mode you are in, i.e., normal, sport, sport plus, the transmission shifts quickly or in sport plus damn quick - I'd say about as fast as the Ferrari 430 in 'race mode'. Shift quality goes from seamless to slightly brusque but nothing as rude as the Ferrari. In automatic mode it shifts like something from GM, nice. I did notice that slowing abruptly in stop and go traffic occasionally produces a bit of a jolt when the box shifts into first gear. To my surprise the gearbox has a bit of "creep" built in, like an automatic!

After a week I am completely comfortable with the shift paddles/buttons. Different from my 430 but fine once you get used to them. Have not tried launch control - a cute feature but one which I am unlikely to find useful.

Sport PASM lowers the car 20 mm. All I can say is that the car is nearly as low as my 997 RS. I lower myself into it as opposed to getting in.

Having just spent a track weekend with my RS, I can also say that sport PASM in "normal" mode seems to be almost as firm as the RS with PASM set to normal. If you want a cushy ride, I'd avoid the sport PASM option. In sport mode, I can barely tell the difference from 'normal'. That will have to wait until break-in is complete and I can try it on the track.

PSE is wonderful. Engaged it drops the exhaust note by an octave and while driving the car sounds great on a drive-by. Loud enough to be heard but not enough to attract unwarranted attention from cops or sound pressure level meters at tracks with noise limits. It burbles nicely on the over-run too!

Steering is much heavier than my RS, not sure if this is result of the AWD system or not. Not bad, just different. The steering wheel is thicker than the RS in spite of my GT3 having the "thicker wheel" option.

The Bluetooth option works fine, it took about ten seconds to set it up with my Blackberry 8830. It downloaded the phone book at the same time. Haven't tested the Ipod interface, I bought it for resale value. I am an XM radio/Blomberg fanatic and don't own an Ipod.

I do have a few nits. The window switches have mongo springs in them and require about three times more effort than the 997 or 997 RS. They are shaped differently too, with a hollow on the underside which is not well finished. A new supplier I suppose. As usual, they are one touch down but up requires that you hold the button til the window is past half way, then it carries on by itself. I can't understand why they behave that way and I wonder if someone with a PWIS can program that feature out.

The mandatory sun roof is neither one touch open or close, a cheap feature in a car of this price. Hondas have it standard!

The standard Xenon headlights are "brilliant" and the swiveling feature is endearing on dark country roads. It is not as good as the Cayenne which in addition to a swivel has additional lamps which light directly to the side. Too bad, I was hoping for that.

Best,
Thanks for the write-up. I'm considering a daily driver and the C4S (with "big sunroof" option) is appealing, plus it gives seating for the whole family, unlike the GT3 which sits idle far too much of the time. And I'm keen to play with PDK.
Old 08-09-2009 | 10:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks for the write-up. I'm considering a daily driver and the C4S (with "big sunroof" option) is appealing, plus it gives seating for the whole family, unlike the GT3 which sits idle far too much of the time. And I'm keen to play with PDK.
Did you do it yet?
Old 08-09-2009 | 11:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Did you do it yet?
I'm pondering the imponderable.

I found one that's a bit more "designer" than my usual monochromatic tendency; it's Cocoa over Meteor. I'll go find some pics -- I could use advice on the decision. I'll fire up a new thread to avoid thread-jacking charges. : )
Old 08-10-2009 | 12:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'm pondering the imponderable.

I found one that's a bit more "designer" than my usual monochromatic tendency; it's Cocoa over Meteor. I'll go find some pics -- I could use advice on the decision. I'll fire up a new thread to avoid thread-jacking charges. : )
Meteor over cocoa is 911-like nice.
Old 08-10-2009 | 05:17 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Bob - did you ever get that one touch sunroof close working? My 09 C2S is just the same as my 08, both one touch close from slide but not from tilt.

Alister
Old 08-10-2009 | 07:31 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Aggie.
My sun roof is one touch open but not close. Driver sie window is one touch up and down. Passenger side needs to be half way closed before it goes the rest of the way up by itself. That's the same on the RS as well.
Old 08-10-2009 | 09:14 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Aggie.
My sun roof is one touch open but not close. Driver sie window is one touch up and down. Passenger side needs to be half way closed before it goes the rest of the way up by itself. That's the same on the RS as well.
This is exactly the way it is on my 09.
My 06 had 1-touch open close of the roof. My guess is that Big Brother is worried about us inadvertently closing the roof on a puppy or something or other.
Old 08-10-2009 | 12:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW Adam the back seats just come out and go in, like on a GT3... Oh wait they dont issue back seat
pads on the GT3.
Bob great write up and the ONLY MOD to ever issue me a warning in 7 years of membership I BAN you till you get your pics up!!!!
COngrats!
Old 08-10-2009 | 12:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
the back seats just come out and go in
I noticed the rear seat pads are just velcro. I'll have my two daughters in the back seat. I already did a "fitting" with them to be sure there'd be enough space for their knees, especially behind my seat.
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:54 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Meteor over cocoa is 911-like nice.
I was wondering if that is what he meant to say.
Old 08-11-2009 | 03:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Aggie.
Originally Posted by Coochas
This is exactly the way it is on my 09.
My 06 had 1-touch open close of the roof. My guess is that Big Brother is worried about us inadvertently closing the roof on a puppy or something or other.
Same here with the windows but maybe there's a spec difference between our two markets with the roof.

When I got this car the roof wouldn't tilt either but that was a faulty motor. But you can imagine my reaction when I first found the fault. Like, I've just spent all this money on a new car and it does "what!".

Great car though - really a step up from the .1 in so many ways.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S First Impressions