Sponsored by:

Help. Got a tix. Cops wrote it as "racing"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks.

Reminds me to slow down when on CA freeways... they might just shoot me and be done with it.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was doing more research, and they could have made an arrest if they thought it was racing. Actually, that's what they wrote on the impound memo as a reason - "driver arrest." Now I have no idea whether my license is suspended. Logically thinking, cars were impounded since both drivers' license were suspended on the spot, is this right? But no where in the tix states that. Anyone have more info on this?
The first and only thing you need to do when wake up Monday morning is -- to find a good attorney. Go through the case with him/her and do as he/she tells you.

Best luck,
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed Contest is a Misdemeanor and therefore you can be arrested and booked. Technically you were arrested for a misdemeanor charge but were cited and release instead of booked. There is a vehicle code section that allows law enforcement to impound vehicles involved in speed contests.

Warning----- If you do not own the title to your vehicle, do everything you can to get your vehicle out of impound NOW. All impounded vehicles are reported the the "Legal Owner" ie: finance company and most of these companies will have written in your agreement that if the vehicle is impounded you are considered in default of the contract. They will send a repo agent to get the vehicle.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
I was in So Cal in Torrance area PCH where the speed limit was 35 mph. I was doing a jack rabbit start from red light, ONLY UP TO THE legal speed limit of 35 mph. I was in the center lane, and I heard loud engine noise in the 2nd lane to my right, and I saw that it was an M3 trying to catch up to me.

Then the cops pulled both of us over and impounded our cars. No arrest though. Tix stated "race contest" I was minding my business and a 19 year old kid tried to catch up to my 997, and I was ticketed as racing.
So let me get this straight.

- You're lined up at a red light in a 997 next to an M3.
- You do not notice there is a M3 right next to you at the light.
- You are minding your business, and happen to choose that moment to decide to do a "jack rabbit" start without any knowledge that an M3 is there.
- The M3 that is lined up next to you is performing his own version of a jack rabbit start in an attempt to race your car and you have no knowledge of this happening.
- You both only "jack rabbit" up only to the speed limit and then stop there.

Do I have that right?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

- You're lined up at a red light in a 997 next to an M3.
- You do not notice there is a M3 right next to you at the light.
- You are minding your business, and happen to choose that moment to decide to do a "jack rabbit" start without any knowledge that an M3 is there.
- The M3 that is lined up next to you is performing his own version of a jack rabbit start in an attempt to race your car and you have no knowledge of this happening.
- You both only "jack rabbit" up only to the speed limit and then stop there.

Do I have that right?
<shrug> That's how I interpreted it...does he really have a reason to lie to us? We're not the ones he has to convince...
Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Ray's point is that he lied. It was more tongue-in-cheek, with a dose of sarcasm.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do I have that right?
Nope, you didn't get that part straight. That's your interpretation.

It's highly unlikely that out of pure coincidence the M3 decided to do a "jack rabbit" start while unbeknown to him the 911 had picked that very moment to do the very same thing when the light turned green. He didn't say that.

It's more likely that the M3 saw the 911 take off and thought that he was being shown up (being a youngster and all), and so he decided to try to catch him. But unbeknown to both, there was a third party who easily caught both.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tooloud10
<shrug> That's how I interpreted it...does he really have a reason to lie to us? We're not the ones he has to convince...
Well, I guess for one if it was indeed a purposeful act it would certainly generate far less sympathy on Rennlist.

There is also the possibility that an officer might forward a post admitting guilt (it is a public forum after all).

Then again, why would someone exaggerate the truth on the internet of all places?

Originally Posted by OCBen
Nope, you didn't get that part straight. That's your interpretation.
Ben, I missed the part of the story where you were in the car.....

Tell me.......what really happened.... jk

I guess the reason for my suspicion centers around the fact that I can't fathom a situation in which an M3 (which is the 911 nemesis as evidenced by multiple RL threads on the car) pulls up next to me when I'm in my 911 and I don't even notice? I guess as a self described "car guy" I tend to notice the nice cars around me and I doubt an M3 would have escaped my awareness. Evidently the OP wasn't really paying attention.

In any case, assuming the OP has not stretched the truth I would advise a very good lawyer and wear a suit at the trial.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

The difference of exhibition of speed and racing here in Ca. is when there is another car involved. BTW, exhibition of speed is no joke as well. It is looked as a wreckless driving ticket but they usually won't impound your car.

As for the OP, you have to hire a lawyer as the car can be sold at auction.

Dave
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Ben, I missed the part of the story where you were in the car.....
It came after the part where you were in the M3 driver's head.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

It came after the part where you were in the M3 driver's head.
The big difference is I asked if I read the account correctly and you told me I misinterpreted the events.

As I said, I wasn't there, evidently you were.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

The big difference is I asked if I read the account correctly and you told me what happened.

As I said, I wasn't there, evidently you were.

And I answered that you didn't read his account correctly.

And, no, I didn't tell you what happened.

I speculated. That's the "big difference" here.

Apparently, reading and comprehending what is written seem to be the common elements here, wouldn't you say?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Gnslngr
Intermediate

In any case, assuming the OP has not stretched the truth I would advise a very good lawyer and wear a suit at the trial.
Ray, you slay me. And you're absolutely correct on both counts here.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
joelpirela
Racer

When I'm the first one on almost every traffic light, there's an idiot with a Civic/Scion/350Z/etc next too me.... looking at me and testing me.
My approach is to blip the engine, let them hear the PSE and as soon as the light change to green, proceed to the slowest possible (not even at grandma's reaction time and speed) start. It's hilarious! I think it's actually better than racing them!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

And I answered that you didn't read his account correctly.
Did you miss the part where I asked the OP "Do I have that right" and you answered for him?

I speculated. That's the "big difference" here.
So you speculated that my speculation of events is incorrect.

Here's a crazy thought......Why not just let the OP respond to the question I asked him.

Quick Reply: Help. Got a tix. Cops wrote it as "racing"