Sponsored by:

Help. Got a tix. Cops wrote it as "racing"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
So you speculated that my speculation of events is incorrect.
Not at all. Reread my post. Maybe you'll catch it the second time around.

I posted that you were stating facts not brought into evidence, and then you asked the OP if you had gotten it straight.

The part where I used such words as "likely" and "unlikely" should have tipped you off to the speculation part.

Btw, in the absence of the OP, anyone here has the right to answer a simple question. And I did you a service by clearing that up for you, as you were apparently reading more into the OP's prima facie post than was there.

The rest of your posts simply suggest you don't take correction too well.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Not at all. Reread my post. Maybe you'll catch it the second time around.

I posted that you were stating facts not brought into evidence, and then you asked the OP if you had gotten it straight.

The part where I used such words as "likely" and "unlikely" should have tipped you off to the speculation part.

Btw, in the absence of the OP, anyone here has the right to answer a simple question. And I did you a service by clearing that up for you, as you were apparently reading more into the OP's prima facie post than was there.

Wow, you're quite a character. You said....

Nope, you didn't get that part straight. That's your interpretation.

It's highly unlikely that out of pure coincidence the M3 decided to do a "jack rabbit" start while unbeknown to him the 911 had picked that very moment to do the very same thing when the light turned green. He didn't say that.

It's more likely that the M3 saw the 911 take off and thought that he was being shown up (being a youngster and all), and so he decided to try to catch him. But unbeknown to both, there was a third party who easily caught both.
From that response it is plainly clear that the sarcasm in my post went right over your head. In spite of that fact several other posters seemed to easily pick it up and had a grasp of the not so subtle point that I was trying to convey. Let me state it more clearly for you.....I did not post it to be an accurate interpretation

I tried to joke about it in my response to you about "being in the car" and put several smiley’s after it, but you still seem to miss the sarcasm (or did you really believe I thought you were in the car too).

I am sorry you missed it, but if you miss the sarcasm, it's easy to see how you have become so confused. In which case I guess the following statement really belongs to you.

I'm done corresponding with you in a thread that has nothing to do with you (or me for that matter) over a sarcastic question that was not posed to you. You have elevated pointless argument to an art form.

Feel free to throw out additional drivel now.

Oh and just for the hell of it here's a test for you

http://users.skynet.be/bk258512/idiot_test.swf

I already know the part you will struggle with. Is Ray being serious with this test, or is he being sarcastic???
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

....I did not post it to be an accurate interpretation.
Well if you were just making stuff up, why did you so vigorously try to defend your statements?

Something doesn't add up here.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys have never been going fast and have someone catch up to you on the freeway?

You've never played around with following another sports car at a reasonable distance, at higher speeds?

Everyone here sounds like complete saints to me.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Well if you were just making stuff up, why did you so vigorously try to defend your statements?

Something doesn't add up here.
I like you Ben, and I'm glad you didn't take my last post in the wrong way.

If you're ever in the Windy City, look me up to talk Porsche's over a beer.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
You guys have never been going fast and have someone catch up to you on the freeway?

You've never played around with following another sports car at a reasonable distance, at higher speeds?

Everyone here sounds like complete saints to me.
The amount of stupid stuff I did in a car in my teens is a long list. I'm probably lucky I did not have a Porsche in my youth as I doubt high horsepower and high testosterone would have been a healthy mix.

As I'm much more mature now (at least I hope), a track seems like a much better place to explore the limits of a car.....
Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a situation like this, once your car is stopped on the side of road you'll do much better if you jump out of it and scream "You'll never take me alive". Follow this up with running away at a brisk pace.

Cops love a good joke.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

I like you Ben, and I'm glad you didn't take my last post in the wrong way.

If you're ever in the Windy City, look me up to talk Porsche's over a beer.
Yeah no problem. First round's on me.

-----------------

Back on topic, I think a good lawyer should help the OP beat this ticket. If he didn't get cited for exceeding the speed limit, and the speed limit is only 35 where he was allegedly racing, the attorney should be able to show there was insufficient evidence to come to the conclusion that he was racing - that there is reasonable doubt that reckless racing had actually taken place. He could argue that under the circumstances - not exceeding the speed limit - the driver was guilty only of not conserving fuel with his jack rabbit starts and stops in a slow speed zone. But, I guess we'll find out how it goes for the OP. Or maybe we won't.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
997, esq
Racer

Back on topic, I think a good lawyer should help the OP beat this ticket. If he didn't get cited for exceeding the speed limit, and the speed limit is only 35 where he was allegedly racing, the attorney should be able to show there was insufficient evidence to come to the conclusion that he was racing - that there is reasonable doubt that reckless racing had actually taken place. He could argue that under the circumstances - not exceeding the speed limit - the driver was guilty only of not conserving fuel with his jack rabbit starts and stops in a slow speed zone. But, I guess we'll find out how it goes for the OP. Or maybe we won't.
Yeah, but it will depend on what the cops says. Maybe he won't agree about 35 mph, or will say he saw something that OP says didn't happen. If there is a question, I would think an attractive plea could be worked out, regardless. I agree that OP does need counsel, unfortunately.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

JJB236, the reason your CHP-180 (the vehicle impound form) stated driver arrested, is because that is the vehicle code authority (22651h CVC) that allows us to impound vehicles. You didn't say what vehicle code they charged you with. It sounds like they cited you for an arrestable offense and chose to cite & release you in the field. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.
No offense, but your statement, " Our 997's are flashy and attract attention that cops who are probably not gonna be able to afford one on their salary appear to look for ways to throw the book. " is not true in that area (in my humble opinion). I started my career at Lennox. I don't know what agency pulled you over (Torrance PD, LASD, or CHP), but they all make enough to afford a new or used 997 (prior to their ex-wives getting a chunk).
The attorney is probably good advice.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

to the OP,
there are some posts here way off topic. and i suggest you stop researching yourself and hire yourself a real traffic lawyer.

when your car is impounded, they may or may not have to/want to suspend your license. there are TONS of reasons they can impound your car. there is no need to speculate or read the cop's mind.

and it doesn't matter who owns the car, get it out of impound. i dont know about LA, but up here in SF, when my car was impounded, it was like $300+ per day. and you dont just walk up to the lot and pull it back out. there will be hoops (and most of which are catch 22, like if you are suspended, you can't get the car. to un suspend, it would take months (i am exaggerating to make my point) and it's $300 per day...... it adds up quickly. i am telling you this b/c i have been on the receiving end of this. it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. try talking to DMV/CHP due to bureaucracy, you will have more success talking to your dead ancestors. and i have spend A LOT of money dealing with these type of issue 8 years ago. when i say a LOT of money, i mean in the realm of high five figures almost reaching 6. so dont wait, get moving.

oh, based on the responses i read here, many of the responders haven't been to serious offense traffic court. it's quite different than what you think. if you just argue the law, guess what, you will lose. arguing in court is an artform involving strategy, trick (for lack of better word), presentation, presence.... it was like a movie the 90 min i was there with my lawyer.

btw, i have many CHP and police friends, some of whom actually wrote me tix (we became friends after they gave me multiple tix, kid you not.). let's just say they are VERY well paid. i know one with brand new gallardo and one with new 7gt3.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ BOOM!

good one fletch. i'll have a blood mary and a steak sandwich and a....steak sandwich. sorry, i'll bet you get that all the time :-o
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are saying that LEOs now make enough money to easily afford a new p-car in most situations, sounds like all the physicians and attorneys on the forum are in the wrong field.

Originally Posted by Mfletch
JJB236, the reason your CHP-180 (the vehicle impound form) stated driver arrested, is because that is the vehicle code authority (22651h CVC) that allows us to impound vehicles. You didn't say what vehicle code they charged you with. It sounds like they cited you for an arrestable offense and chose to cite & release you in the field. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.
No offense, but your statement, " Our 997's are flashy and attract attention that cops who are probably not gonna be able to afford one on their salary appear to look for ways to throw the book. " is not true in that area (in my humble opinion). I started my career at Lennox. I don't know what agency pulled you over (Torrance PD, LASD, or CHP), but they all make enough to afford a new or used 997 (prior to their ex-wives getting a chunk).
The attorney is probably good advice.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Yeah, but it will depend on what the cops says. Maybe he won't agree about 35 mph, or will say he saw something that OP says didn't happen. If there is a question, I would think an attractive plea could be worked out, regardless. I agree that OP does need counsel, unfortunately.
You're absolutely right. We're only speculating based on the OP's statement being true.

It's gonna cost the OP good money to get a good lawyer, but ultimately it should prove to be money well spent, assuming his version of the story is the truth and considering the consequences if he's found guilty of the charges.

It's a tough situation to be in. I know it could have easily been me in that situation, as I've taken the challenge to a street race more than once, and I'm sure I've exceeded the speed limit in the process. Oh, and I've easily smoked the challenger each time, for what it's worth.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Actually, yes, nowadays in some cities the police officers make some good money. They can afford a 997 okay, especially if they are married and have a dual-income family.

Last time someone rear-ended my 997S (no biggie, just expensive broken parts.) A CHP officer was waiting with me for the tow truck. I had a good chat with him, and indeed he has a 997 himself.

He knew the 997 pretty well -- I couldn't started my car, and he explained to me that there are four O2 sensors in the 997S. Probably the accident shoke one loose, and the ECU shutdown the engine as safeguard. Later, the dealer mechanic who reset my ECU confirmed what he said.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Help. Got a tix. Cops wrote it as "racing"