Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use some basic pricing perspectives ......

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Chris,

Not to rain on your parade, but I believe that what you do not see is that the dealership receives some of the certification $$$ back from PCNA at the end of the month or quarter. Almost like finance reserve money that comes back to the dealership. Ask Mr. Pass!! Cost to certify is a lot lower, NET.

Mark
O'RLY?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
bave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correction, the options I just listed were on the car that did have the GT2 Aero Package
Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Florida Auction prices for C2S in early April are:

1. 2007 w/8K mile = $52K
2. 2006 w/22K miles = $49K
3. 05 w/30K miles = $44K
Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
O'RLY?

Shhhh. some of the hidden profits that you are not supposed to know about.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Chris,

Not to rain on your parade, but I believe that what you do not see is that the dealership receives some of the certification $$$ back from PCNA at the end of the month or quarter. Almost like finance reserve money that comes back to the dealership. Ask Mr. Pass!! Cost to certify is a lot lower, NET.

Mark
Even if there was A) that dealership actually needs to SELL a certain % of penatration for CPO B) it's NOT standardized like , hey you guys sold 4 CPO, here's a big fat check and C) that is NOT figured into the 1) trade in/buy price nor the 2) Selling price.

If that dealership, sells 10 CPO cars, yet 8 out of the 10 they take a net loss on each car due to interest paid and 'write downs'. Then you know what? They need to take said 'bonus' and use it to turn on the darn lights.

I'm all for weeding out the greedy and bad client service based business, but for Christ sakes, the good ones should make more then a couple dollars.

Is it not reasonable for a decent, honest and hardworking business to earn a darn profit?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
bave
Advanced

Judging by the fact that Porsche is the most profitable car company by gross margin, I would generally say they are doing fine...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Even if there was A) that dealership actually needs to SELL a certain % of penatration for CPO B) it's NOT standardized like , hey you guys sold 4 CPO, here's a big fat check and C) that is NOT figured into the 1) trade in/buy price nor the 2) Selling price.

If that dealership, sells 10 CPO cars, yet 8 out of the 10 they take a net loss on each car due to interest paid and 'write downs'. Then you know what? They need to take said 'bonus' and use it to turn on the darn lights.

I'm all for weeding out the greedy and bad client service based business, but for Christ sakes, the good ones should make more then a couple dollars.

Is it not reasonable for a decent, honest and hardworking business to earn a darn profit?
Chris,

I am in full agreement that a dealership needs to make money. And I also agree that the greedy should be tar and feathered.

My point about the numbers is the lack of transparency. Maybe I am hyper sensitive to the Bernie Madoff approach of telling folks that "it cost us $2K just for the warranty" and "it cost us 3 hours of labor" or better yet...."we will give it to you at our cost".

When the term 'our cost" is being used, all I want is integrity and honesty. Not smoke and mirrors.

I would rather hear that we need to make $3K per car to keep our dealership operating at the standard that supports the marque. Afterall, if the dealerships fail, so do the value, servicing and enjoyment of our cars.

Just one man's opinion in an inclusive world.

Again...my comments are not meant to offend you or anyone, even Mr. Pass.

Mark
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

there are deals out there...dealers are trying to figure out the market at you expense....but if you found stright forward person you should get reasonable deal...since I began looking about 60 days ago the price is down by about 20K....my trade value is about the same
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bave
Judging by the fact that Porsche is the most profitable car company by gross margin, I would generally say they are doing fine...

Well said. Instead of Porsche trying to increase its ownership share in other car companies given all the profits they earn, why not lower the prices. What was the rational to raise the prices in February (?) when they are making money hand over fist, and the currency swings were not dramatic, oil prices were significantly down from a year ago AND.......the resistance of buying big ticket items in this screwed up market is clearly problematic that even Obama could figure it out? Can someone explain this one to me????

Could it be corporate GREED!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Porsche dealers seem to be focused on how to "nail" customers....after trying to buy car from local dealer....from guys further away....that never responded...my purchase will be from nearby customer....for a reasonable price....about 15% less what the up front number was from dealer///and if I wasn't jerked around I would have paid more...but dealers seem to want hammer me on price and then the financing package....so I went around them....but if they weren't so focused on greed...screwing me...I would have paid more.....for the right car......but that didn't happen on this car....perhaps the next one....assuming they learn
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by bave
Recognize the difference between the A) Automaker B) the North American Division and the C) Dealership.

All are VERY seperate entities.

PAG and PCNA have made their margins. It's the dealernetwork- who get to enjoy the blood bath on the client level.

bon appetite.

Chris,

I am in full agreement that a dealership needs to make money. And I also agree that the greedy should be tar and feathered.

My point about the numbers is the lack of transparency. Maybe I am hyper sensitive to the Bernie Madoff approach of telling folks that "it cost us $2K just for the warranty" and "it cost us 3 hours of labor" or better yet...."we will give it to you at our cost".

When the term 'our cost" is being used, all I want is integrity and honesty. Not smoke and mirrors.

I would rather hear that we need to make $3K per car to keep our dealership operating at the standard that supports the marque. Afterall, if the dealerships fail, so do the value, servicing and enjoyment of our cars.

Just one man's opinion in an inclusive world.

Again...my comments are not meant to offend you or anyone, even Mr. Pass.

Mark
Mark, they don't offend, just irritate.

Clearly, $3000 net net net per copy is NOT sufficiant to run a dealership. And Mr. Pass has validated.

There ARE dealership's who drowning in their own blood. But even with them, there's a point. Probably wont get close to your number on the trade. Even if they are net net net on the new car.

My suggestion; Stop the madness Mark and go get your P-car; stat!

Well said. Instead of Porsche trying to increase its ownership share in other car companies given all the profits they earn, why not lower the prices. What was the rational to raise the prices in February (?) when they are making money hand over fist, and the currency swings were not dramatic, oil prices were significantly down from a year ago AND.......the resistance of buying big ticket items in this screwed up market is clearly problematic that even Obama could figure it out? Can someone explain this one to me????

Yes. I agree Corp. greed, but you especially know it's a moot point on the dealernetwork Mark.

What should a Dealer Principal do, call up ol'Dr W and say "hey, how about you passing along that extra $$$ to assist in selling the cars?"

I'm sure that conversation would go over well.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out this thread.

Porsche in hot water
Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Clearly, $3000 net net net per copy is NOT sufficiant to run a dealership. And Mr. Pass has validated.

There ARE dealership's who drowning in their own blood. But even with them, there's a point. Probably wont get close to your number on the trade. Even if they are net net net on the new car.

Yes. I agree Corp. greed, but you especially know it's a moot point on the dealernetwork Mark.

What should a Dealer Principal do, call up ol'Dr W and say "hey, how about you passing along that extra $$$ to assist in selling the cars?"

Chris...It is good to let your emotions out. Now think of calming thoughts.....sitting on a beach....selling 3 new Turbos in one day as full MSRP. Life can be very good.

BTW.....I do think that a Dealer Principal has an opportunity to express the need for incentives, both subvented interest rate and trunk money, to position the pricing of the products during the ups and downs of market changes. It happens all the time and Porsche does react to it when under pressure (as we know today).

As for earning $3K per vehicle, do not focus on the number, per se. However, if Porsche, Mercedes and all the rest of the manufacturers were less demanding in requiring said Dealer Principal in building the US verison of Saddam's ivory palaces, then dealers would have in excess of 90% absorption factors and they could sell cars for less gross and be more profitable. At the end, when a dealership spends $50-$100 Million on a new facility, who ultimately pays for it?

All I am really concerned about is that I have access to great cars, have great saleman to deal with and have excellent competent techs working on my cars.

Now on your comment on my Corvette trade value....now you are getting personal.... I am PM'ing you to take this conversation off line..

Lets not miss the main point of my previous comments. TRANSPARENCY, INTEGRITY and HONESTY. We need more of it in the dealership business, not less. I know that you agree and you operate that way. But you are not the norm.

Mark

Last edited by mjsporsche; 04-24-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM
bave
Advanced

Recognize the difference between the A) Automaker B) the North American Division and the C) Dealership.

All are VERY seperate entities.

PAG and PCNA have made their margins. It's the dealernetwork- who get to enjoy the blood bath on the client level.

bon appetite.

If the manufacturer is making a ton of money and not helping PCNA, and in turn the dealerships, then the model is broken. The cars are good, but there is a finite amount of price gouging people will take.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Lets not miss the main point of my previous comments. TRANSPARENCY, INTEGRITY and HONESTY. We need more of it in the dealership business, not less. I know that you agree and you operate that way. But you are not the norm.

Mark
But Mark, even when clients or prospetive clients recieve TRANSPARENCY, INTEGRITY & HONESTY-

They still insist on paying the same amount or LESS then a NON integrity based business. How is that fair? Or even, remotely reasonable?

Havent you and WE as consumers LEARNED anything over the last 1.5 years about NON integrity based business practices?

So you know what I say? Go ahead. Buy X, Y ,Z product from A, B or C businesses. You get WHAT you pay for.

But don't come crying to me when you give them a deposit for a 997mkII GT3 and they're out business in 6 months.

It's happening.

And of course I'm not making this personal; just being blunt and to the point.

Quick Reply: I could use some basic pricing perspectives ......