Sponsored by:

Nail in the tire. Help. Dealer recommends no patching

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nail in the tire. Help. Dealer recommends no patching

My 997 got hit at approx 10 mph on the rear wheel of passenger side. This happened 4 months ago. I just linked that may be the cause of constant air escaping from the tire. I had to put in air every 2 weeks or so, but starting a few days ago, the tire loses air daily. Now it shows -17. I think there may be a nail or the hit threw the tire off balance from the rim.

I read that tire sealant is only for emergency. I called the dealer and they said they didn't recommend patching. This 295 19" retails approx $500. So on our cars, a nail can cost us $500 each time? Since I don't track the car or go beyond 110 mph, I would think it's ok.

Anyone gone through this before?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
lig
Racer

Completely depends on where the hole is.

On or near the sidewall - the tire is toast.

On the tread - a patch from the inside should be fine if you're not going to the track.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Agree with 'lig' 100 percent. By the way, if the tire is worn at all, you will probably have to replace both as our cars are very sensitive to varying wheel diameter. One worn tire and one new one will result in the car pulling one way on acceleration and going the other way when you lift off. Ugh.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
desidon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If a tire is patched from the inside on the tread(away from sidewall) ...what is the risk when taking that tire to a high sped DE?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by desidon
If a tire is patched from the inside on the tread(away from sidewall) ...what is the risk when taking that tire to a high sped DE?
As lig said....."if you're not going to the track".

Repaired tires have no place on the track IMHO.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Here is the states you probably can get away without replacing the tire,--without going above 80-100 mph. I have tire and wheel insurance (bought when I bought the car) which takes care of that issue. Plugging is not that difficult and will work well. If it's not adequate take it to a shop who can dismount and patch it from the inside. You can even put an inner tube in the thing if need be. But the bottom line is,--if the tire fails down the road it can (1) leave you stranded someplace and (2) can do more damage to the body if it comes apart at speed. You have to decide.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you should try to determine why it's losing air before considering what to do about it. IF no puncture source is found in the tire, check around the rim and valve stem for air loss by applying soapy water and looking for blowing bubbles. The wheel/tire could also be placed in a tub or large sink with water and rotated slowly while looking for air bubbles. Either way, over-inflate the tire so there will be plenty of air pressure looking for an escape route.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Jetpilot
Racer

Originally Posted by desidon
You don't want to know. I haven't experienced it or seen it happen, but have heard too many stories of people on the the track with patches and plugs. Your tires are under extreme heat and pressure on the track - why risk your saftey, others saftey, car and wheel damage over 500.00?? I had the same debate before going to the track this season cause I had a plug. It was a no brainer to replace the tire.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have a problem with a plug or patch on my street tires, espcecially with TPMS monitoring.

My track tires are another story, they get replaced much more often and are alot less than $500 so it doesnt hurt as bad as replacing PS2's.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Buy a plug kit from any local reseller and, provided the puncture isn't in or near the sidewall, do it yourself. Incredibly easy. (I always keep one in all my cars).

The advice on use of the tire on the track is absolutely correct- don't even consider going to the track with a plugged tire. Your instructor and all the participants are assuming your car is safe- and finding a plugged tire during a tech inspection is well nigh impossible.

Further, don't even come close to the tires limits on the street. I've used plugged tires on my street cars temporarily but replace the tire as soon as I can- IMO they're a temporary fix. Especially on a Porsche.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

I'm with Edgy on this one ,no spare = no patches for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Tire manufacturers are the ones who suggest that a patched tire should not be used for racing or DE. As others have said, good drivers will subject their tires to a lot of heat, stress and tread deformation (high slip angles) which are almost never encountered on the road. That being said, I used a patched tire on the track in the red run group without any problems. That doesn't make it safe.

Tire engineers are also fairly unanimous in saying that patching a tire from the inside is a superior repair than plugs. A plug should only be used as a temporary measure until a proper inside patch can be applied (correctly!).

best,
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
JJB236
Racer

Just to let everyone know that I just got back from a tire shop where they patched up two different areas - two nails. When the tires were removed, I couldn't believe how wide these 295 tires were.

Well, so far so good no more air escaping, and I am happy. I only put 6k miles on the car in one year, and I rarely go over 110 mph
Cheers

Last edited by JJB236; 04-21-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
I'm with Edgy on this one ,no spare = no patches for me.
+1 on this one.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 587 Posts

That is why I switched to Kumhos for street driving. After going through 6 PS2 tires at $500 for each rear in 3 months I have now switched to cheap Kumhos for the last two years and haven't had one nail yet.

Think of it. If you were a nail would you rather be picked up by cheap tire?

Quick Reply: Nail in the tire. Help. Dealer recommends no patching