Sponsored by:

Nail in the tire. Help. Dealer recommends no patching

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I've had small nail holes in the center of the tread patched, but anything more I always replace the tire (no tracking).

When I picked up my new TT a couple months ago, I started telling them don't bother me with any of the aftermarket crap - however, I ended up buying a 5-year tire replacement plan (also covers damage to wheels). I was told they follow Porsche's normal requirement that a tire even with just a nail hole has to be replaced. For $995 (which I believe was a heavily discounted price) I figured it would pay for itself with two new rears, and was a great investment. (Anyone else used this?). (I also had the dealer swap some PS2's off another TT for my car.)
Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

My wheel and tire insurance was paid off some time back. It seemed that when I first got the car I was getting all sorts of stuff in the tires. Over the last year, however, I have (knock on wood) been lucky to avoid that stuff! Maybe I'm staying in the middle of the road more!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 AM
angrylittledog
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a nail in the rear tire on my new C4S. Only 400 miles on it!

I debated about where to take it. The tire was losing pressure so fast that I didn't feel safe driving it anywhere to get patched. So, called 1800PORSCHE and had it flatbedded to the dealer (btw, great service - at my house in under an hour and I even was able to drive the car onto the truck). Anyway, I was sure that they would only do a replacement.

Surprisingly, the service manager suggested patching since the damage wasn't near the sidewall and the tire was so new. I was told to keep in under 150 and off the track. $75 was much better than $675. I feel completely safe on the street with it, but if I track the car I will definitely swap it out.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was offered wheel and tire insurance when I bought my car. Declined it at the time, drove out of the dealership and through a narrow ATM and promptly scratched the passenger's side rear rim. Didn't realize at first how wide that rear end was.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Frino
Pro

Paid $800 for 5 year wheel/tire insurance when the car was new. My dealer (Tysons) will only replace flats so patches are not an option.

Had one rear flat so I'm within a couple of hundred bucks of breaking even. It's a no brainer even at the rip-off price of $800 which reflects a dealer mark up of $300-$500.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You think $800 is a rip-off? All I could get from my dealer was about $1900 for about 2 years of coverage. PFfft, I told them. Given that I drove my VW Golf everywhere and only had a tire issue when I finally drove it over a gravel road pass in Idaho and got some wire fence wire in the tread, but normally drove the treads off to the wire before the tires failed, I figure I'm going to just pay for replacements myself. If I end up replacing tires often in the car, I may rethink that strategy.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

if not near the edge, and not tracking, 100% patch / plug it. I have already plugged two different rears on two different sets...too many nails in FL. there is NO WAY I am ditching a almost new tire over a nail hole. Frankly, I also, perhaps ignorantly, used a plugged tire at the track with no issues whatsoever. Plug was done professionally, in center of tire, and I used that tire for 7500 more miles...
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

On this tire insurance, there are some limits on tread depth and flat replacement aren't there?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Frino
Pro

On mine there's no replacement if tread depth is under 3/32nds.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 PM
equ
Racer

I've plugged two 265 rears so far and have had no problems (both times the nail/screw was on the tread, not near edge). Each one cost me $10! Funny thing is that I have two rears waiting to go on (as I thought the plugs wouldn't hold), but they really are holding pressure perfectly (one has been on for more than a year).
Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 AM
IB Adrian
Administrator

For a start, either take the tire to an appropriate repair shop, or take the wheel off, and completley immerse it in water to find out where the leak is coming from.

Once you have found that out you can take appropriate action.
If you have lost the valve cap - that could be causing it, or there could be a leak around the valve cap, about 75% of all leaking tires I have seen, have been caused by air leaking from the valve cap. Thats a simple fix.
If its from the body of the tire, I don't see any issue with plugging it. If it is done by a reputable shop it should cause no issues.
If its on the sidewall, as mentioned - you really have to replace the tire. Fitting an inner tube isn't a great solution on such a low profile tire.

I would actually avoid replacing the tire if possible, not just from the upfront cost point, but fitting different sized tires (due to wear) will affect handling as mentioned by Bob and provide excessive wear on your differential (both cases will be exacerbated if you have the optional Locking Differential).
Having 50% different wear on your tires for example is typically equivelant to running 10psi in one tire and about 50psi in another in terms of rolling circumference.
Properly repaired tires don't usually have problems, and their failure mode if they do is typically for a slow leak, not for the tire to explode.

Just my 2.0c
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

My dealer does not offer tire insurance. I know that I can get the same tires (cheaper) online with insurance but I doubt my dealer would be too exited about just mounting them for me... nor would I probably want to pay the fee. How do you folks handle this scenario?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

USMC: You could order online and have the tires shipped to any independent shop for mounting that you choose. Give the shop a call to let them know what's coming.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by usmarine2003
My dealer does not offer tire insurance. I know that I can get the same tires (cheaper) online with insurance but I doubt my dealer would be too exited about just mounting them for me... nor would I probably want to pay the fee. How do you folks handle this scenario?
Any independent tire shop can handle mounting and balancing; however, be sure to find a good one that will use care in the process. Tire Rack has a list of cooperating installers on their website.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
CBnAT
Pro

My dealer will not patch tires on a 911. SM told me they had "a bad experience" once. I had a nail, and insurance so I got a new tire.

I'm now at 11500 on the P zero's so it's about time for new ones.

Quick Reply: Nail in the tire. Help. Dealer recommends no patching