Sponsored by:

Oil scavenging pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:32 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
$4.4k is far more than 25% of a $10k engine replacement - the usual installed rate. I would shop around and direct PCNA to send the engine to a dealer with appropriate charges. Rector, Porsche of Fremont, and Stevens Creek Porsche are nearby.
I think Carlsen Porsche is on the up and up. Repairing the existing engine was going to cost $12,500. Replacing the engine will cost about $13,500 (in rough numbers). A 3.6L crate engine is about $9.6k (I called around for list price - $9646.10 - and street price being about $400-500 lower to be competitive once shipping was added). The value of my core is near zero because it is a failed engine. I'll provide more detailed numbers when I have them. Aside from distance, I've had good experiences with Fremont (now Fletcher Jones) and Stevens Creek when they were at their old location. Carlsen has honored another other out-of-warranty item for me in the past (my Nav failed a few weeks after ex-warranty) and they've dealt with my B+ cable problems.

Thanks for looking out for me and alerting me to potential problems!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:35 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations- sounds like a great outcome for all. You can look forward to many years of permagrin with your new engine!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
An update. First the quick facts:

My first call on Friday morning was to PCNA. I plan on writing a letter to PCNA and needed a person and email address to send it to. I didn't speak with the person handling my case, but I asked someone if the research on my case had started. I was told "there has been a lot of activity". "Good", I thought - there appears to be a healthy discussion between the dealer and PCNA.

My next call was to my service advisor to discuss costs. He informed me that the rough numbers for the total parts/labor cost to get my car out the door for two scenarios:

Repair = $12,500 approx. (includes replacing failed parts, and some additional parts just to be safe, like the IMS and the other oil scavenging pump in case it has the same "flaw" as the failed pump)

Reman motor = $13,500 approx.

At the same time, I let my service advisor know that I was going to send a letter to PCNA. To this, he replied "PCNA wants to participate" (I guess that's Porsche speak for remuneration of some kind) and "a letter will certainly help your case".

Next up, I thought I'd go to the racing community to see what they know about failed oil scavenging pumps. I spoke with The Racers Group (TRG) and Jerry Woods. Let me be clear, both of these companies deal with racing motors (Cup and Koni GS) and not so much with street engines, but they do know how these engines fail under extreme stress. Neither TRG nor Jerry Woods see much in the way of oil scavenging pump failures on the street engines or even the race engines. So this has me scratching my head again if the oil scavenging pump could fail all by itself, or if it had some "help" (ie. foreign object debris). Companies like Jake Raby have seen enough oil scavenging pump failures due to FOD that they build a proprietary filter screen on the oil scavenging pump for their engines to prevent that failure mode.

I have also spoken with a prominent San Francisco trial lawyer (and friendly acquaintance) who owns multiple Porsches. He feels there's a solid case in my favor under the principles of embailment, just as another Rennlister noted earlier in this thread. It's worth mentioning that I have not once even breathed the words "lawyer" or "lawsuit" with the dealership. I'd rather see where the natural course of solving the problem takes us. In my view, bringing in a lawyer is the last step, and only if things cannot be resolved reasonably and to my satisfaction. But the good news is that I am well positioned with a lawyer lined up if need be.

And as an important aside - I do want the Rennlist community to know that my dealer has been professional and gracious, and my discussions with them very civilized, rational and open. The dealer has been extremely cooperative, calling and emailing me with regular updates, and answering all my detailed questions. They've had my car since March 24 (it will be 4 weeks this Monday) and have provided me with a nicely optioned loaner 2008 Cayenne since day one - before the engine even failed.

Now I need to write that letter to PCNA this morning!
I think you're handling it properly. Escalate when required.

Being firm but being civil is the right thing to do.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The value of my core is near zero because it is a failed engine.
That just sounds very odd to me for some reason.

Isn't failure the overwhelming reason a crate engine would be ordered?

Every time I've gotten a 'core' rebate it was for a broken item: be it a starter, alternator, distributor, battery. Why is an engine any different?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Default Photos of crate 997 3.6L crate engine

Some pics of the crate engine (if you've never seen one) before it goes into the car...

Name:  4.27.09 002-sm.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  86.1 KB
Raw crate motor (above) - as shipped (on pallet)

Name:  4.27.09 001-sm.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  101.0 KB
Raw crate motor (above) - as shipped (close up)

Name:  4.27.09.003-sm.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  97.6 KB
Just before the motor goes back into the chassis

It's been 5 and 1/2 weeks (yup, "5.5 weeks") since I dropped the car off for service. I am so looking forward to driving "Diva" (you gotta name your car, right?).

Last edited by useridchallenged; 04-29-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: pic titles were incorrect
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good news. I bought cars from Carlsen back in the 70's when they were in Palo Alto, they always treated me well. Nice pics - that's a beautiful engine.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on how this all work out and keeping your cool- thanks for sharing pics of your new engine.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
memo997
Intermediate

Since you are not getting a core rebate, will you get to keep the old engine?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Singe
Track Day

useridchallenged - did it all work out? I just had an oil pump fail on my 997 C4S 3.8 and blow metal into my engine. It's totally ruined. 4 1/2 yr old car 5 mos out of warranty with 30K miles. Unbelievable.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Singe - considering that my car was at 68k miles and also 5 mos out of warranty, I'd say it worked out about as well as I could expect. The dealer/Porsche picked up 75% of the bill, I paid the remainder.

I also got an updated motor, so instead of a Nov 2004 997 motor, I now have a 997 motor with all the latest updates, heavier casting, etc. And the new motor has a 2-year factory warranty on the whole thing, which is worth something.

And Porsche NA updated their official records showing the new serial number for the replacement motor, so the car will never be considered a mechanical bastard.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I like happy endings. Most car makers wouldn't have been this hospitable.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Wow, amazing story.

Kudos to useridchallenged, you kept a cool head and managed the situation...patiently. It was smart to keep your options open and prepare yourself for worst case (lawyers, etc), while keeping the communication lines open with Porsche for the outcome you wanted.

That looks like a new engine, is a factory remanufacture the same?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

The replacement engine is a factory reman. I was told that there are no "new engines" - that all the Porsche factory replacement engines are remanufactured.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:05 AM
Notthistime36
3rd Gear

Default Dealer may be at fault

The dealer was test driving my car after installing new front brakes, replacing the clutch slave cylinder and clutch control arm, new RMS, and a bunch of miscellaneous non-engine repairs.

During the test drive, the mechanic heard a noise and when arriving back at the dealership found a hole in the valve cover and oil everywhere. The dealer called me up and said "something let loose in the engine" (see my earlier thread).

I've now learned that the oil scavenging pump has failed, and was the item that "let loose". The dealer said that there is nothing I've done that caused the part to fail - so it sounds like a design/part failure. However my car is now 20k miles out of warranty, and 4 months out of warranty.

The dealer is "talking to Germany" to see what can be done. I'm assuming they are trying to see if Porsche will cover any of the cost of the damage and replacement. I'm a bit scared to find out what this is going to cost.

So here are my questions:

1. Anyone else have their oil scavenging pump fail?

2. Does anyone know of any technical service bulletins that might discuss this part?

The oil scavenging pump fails catastrophically and violently. I'm good about servicing the car regularly and keeping the oil level correct, etc. So I'm wondering what can be done to either prevent this sort of failure (dealer says "nothing").

I feel like this is a time bomb ticking in the 997 without anyway to prevent it from blowing (it literally blew a finger size hole in the valve cover). I have yet to learn what else might have been damaged in the process.

At least it happened on the dealer's watch. I'm thankful for that.
just my input but it is also called a tandem pump part oil scavenger and break pressure/ booster. Since the part is connected to the work performed by the dealer they may be liable. That is why they were so concerned about the issue. If it were a straight forward issue they wouldn't have bothered researching it.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:44 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

@Notthistime36 It's been 15 years and 120k miles since the IMS failure and new crate motor. 175k miles on the car, gunning for at least 250k and then likely a rebuild. If you read through the last page or two of the posts you'll see how the story ends and why. Long story short - the scavenging pump seized because of foreign object debris from a failing IMS bearing. Although out of warranty (miles and time), Porsche supplied a new crate motor at their cost, and I paid the labor to install it.
The following 3 users liked this post by useridchallenged:
roadie13 (06-24-2024), SpectreH (06-24-2024), TRINITONY (06-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil scavenging pump failure