Sponsored by:

new MB SL class....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ?

your a benz owner and really dislike the new 09 styling, to the point of "don't like it".....OK fair enough... I still think it looks amazing.

Originally Posted by boolala
Don't like it.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default 600hp

Maybe a SL500 but the new SL600 with the twin turbo v12 or the SC 8 in the SL AMG's with near and over 600hp (with just software) has to be somewhat fun to drive.... come on, turns are a blast but can't say 600hp thrusting one along even in a straight line won't put a smile on your face? Is the car that boring.... Need to test drive one. You clearly have more experience then I with one in the family, agreed....

Originally Posted by lig
My brother has a beautiful 500SL - lowered - exhaust - 20"HREs - sweet.

But that thing is a tank. No fun at all to drive.

I have to say that the styling has held up pretty well - they still look terrific IMO.

My last M-B was such a 100% POS that I won't buy any Benz no matter how good the deal is (since they depreciate worse than Porsches do)
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM
saltydawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally do not like the new styling either. MB wanted to give the SL a more masculine look. While they succeeded with their objective, I don't like the end result. Too many hard edges, similar to Cadillac styling. Weighs about as much as a big *** Cadillac as well.

The SL is a really nice touring car with a big powerful engine and the luxury of a folding hard top. I agree with previous posters about the depreciation. These cars get absolutely destroyed in depreciation in the first two years. A good car to buy gently used.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Really in Chicago? Thought you all would be like us up here in Ma (new england area) where not as many nice cars out and about as one may think for such a city like Boston....second to only to silicon valley for techno boom, great financial sector and other.... still a decent 911 gets my attention...and have never seen a SL63 or SL65 on the roads 09, or even 07, 08 etc....... thats how few nice cars I seem to come across.... Right in the city Boston itself sure come across tons of C, E etc class MB's and 3 and 7 series BMW's but no where is there a lining of 150K+ sl65's or such.... OK maybe in front of Armani cafe on Newbury street ...... but just saying rarely. If you catch a sl63 09 strolling out and about in this area I feel safe in sayting it will get a double and triple take from any even moderate car enthusiast and have almost any Valet person overwhelmed with joy....
Chicago is a big city. Maybe nobody would notice a SL63 at the corner of State and Rush but try driving one down in the South Side. Actually that's probably not a good idea.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a SL .. it is a great car for what it is. My wife loves it and will not have any other car. It is a great DD. You can not beat the deprecation if you are looking to buy one. I would never get a new one
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
lig
Racer

Maybe a SL500 but the new SL600 with the twin turbo v12 or the SC 8 in the SL AMG's with near and over 600hp (with just software) has to be somewhat fun to drive.... come on, turns are a blast but can't say 600hp thrusting one along even in a straight line won't put a smile on your face? Is the car that boring.... Need to test drive one. You clearly have more experience then I with one in the family, agreed....
Trust me on this - you and I go back to the S2ki days. zzzzzzzzz....

Absolutely beautiful cars. Not all that much fun to drive. We swap cars once in a while and his Mazdaspeed 3 is more fun. Seriously - I've only driven an SL55 once and it was fast as hell in a straight line but it weighs 4,400 pounds!!!!!!!!!

The SL looks awesome though. It's a great car for cruising and being seen in.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 AM
sdw999
Instructor

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Chicago is a big city. Maybe nobody would notice a SL63 at the corner of State and Rush but try driving one down in the South Side. Actually that's probably not a good idea.
Well, I would notice. Half the time the really nice high end cars down in that area are the guido douche bags from Luxury Motors on their lunch break.
I would say the west side is worse than the south side, but hey, getting shot is getting shot, no matter which "side" you are on.

I did see a cl65 AMG valeted tonight at dinner, but it just seems like there are a million Mercs around here. I can go weeks without seeing a P-car, with the exception of Cayennes. Perhaps I'm just too busy avoiding all these DAMN POTHOLES!!! F-U DALEY!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default s2000

I know off topic but such a shame Honda let down its loyal s2000 fan base.... new gauge cluster, 300hp, some integrated fog lamps and thats it for upgrades for a new rev and people would have been thrilled. Would still have one (if such changes or any changes for that matter happened) today if they just kept up with the times....

I had high hopes for the SL, for once a car I showed my wife (online) and she actually said, wow nice car..... again as a stable mate rather then replacement of any true sports car etc....

Miss the s2k days.... spent many nights debating to Boost or not

Originally Posted by lig
Trust me on this - you and I go back to the S2ki days. zzzzzzzzz....

Absolutely beautiful cars. Not all that much fun to drive. We swap cars once in a while and his Mazdaspeed 3 is more fun. Seriously - I've only driven an SL55 once and it was fast as hell in a straight line but it weighs 4,400 pounds!!!!!!!!!

The SL looks awesome though. It's a great car for cruising and being seen in.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
bitterazn
Advanced

Really in Chicago? Thought you all would be like us up here in Ma (new england area) where not as many nice cars out and about as one may think for such a city like Boston....second to only to silicon valley for techno boom, great financial sector and other.... still a decent 911 gets my attention...and have never seen a SL63 or SL65 on the roads 09, or even 07, 08 etc....... thats how few nice cars I seem to come across.... Right in the city Boston itself sure come across tons of C, E etc class MB's and 3 and 7 series BMW's but no where is there a lining of 150K+ sl65's or such.... OK maybe in front of Armani cafe on Newbury street ...... but just saying rarely. If you catch a sl63 09 strolling out and about in this area I feel safe in sayting it will get a double and triple take from any even moderate car enthusiast and have almost any Valet person overwhelmed with joy....
i've definitely seen a few SL65's rolling around boston, in generic black or silver. i agree the BMW/MB line-up of sedans is certainly more common though.

armani cafe closed, which makes me wonder where the "lambo crew" will hang out this summer (that group of 20something middle eastern guys that drove the SL55, lambo gallardo, 997 C2S, and range rover sport and seemed to eternally be "lunching" at newbury st. cafes). but once summer hits, newbury is usually good for some exotic watching, particularly in front of abe & louis on friday/saturday and the parking lot of louis boston on the weekends.

my understanding is valets in boston don't really prioritize "special cars in front" as much as other cities. they do like to keep the more expensive cars in sight, but plenty of times i've valet'd my 997 and it just goes wherever there's space, even if it's the back. just look at the front of the BHH or Four Seasons - while they do put the nice cars out front, they're usually mixed w/ camry's, hondas, etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default South Side wouldn't notice

Originally Posted by _Nathan
There are plenty of SL's and S Classes down there. Lots of black paint, lots of tint, lots of chrome. They're the ones you don't race or mess with.

Downtown Chicago is also crawling with Lamborghini's as there's a dealership a block or two from Michigan Ave. The dealer is smart and will sometimes arrange with restaurants to "place" one of their cars right up front. It's great product placement. Porsche's and Mercedes usually get shuffled off by the valet guys unless it's a GT3RS or a Carrera GT.

It's a tough town - no sentiment here unless you have something rare.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Mercedes has lost itself as a Japanese wannabe, an ironic inversion of status. The current styling has none of the classic Mercedes teutonic presence, and if you removed the three pointed star the cars would be practically unidentifiable among the crowd. The new S class restyle copied the Lexus 460 exhuast, why lead when you can follow? My DD is an 83 380SL and I've owned MB's starting w/ 73 220D (W115), so I state this w/o any bias against MB.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buddy has a SL65, it drives like a rocket in a straight line. OMG fastest thing I have ever driven, scary fast;
IMHO it is a beautiful,. But put it in the twisties and forget it.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
nedino
Advanced

I would gladly get one of these bad boys, regardless how heavy it is (link takes a while to load, but the 360 views are worth the wait): http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspecial/sl65blackseries/
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triode
The Benzes are just too damn heavy for me to even consider, plus you cannot get a stick = no sale.

Triode
Love the wheels in your Avatar, are they BBS?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My brother just bought a 1971 280SL in tobacco brown/tan MB tex. It's an unrestored 14K mile car that he paid top $$ for, but it's gorgeous. He is having it repainted and a few chrome pieces replaced, but other than that, the car is basically perfect. I'll post some pics when he gets it back from the shop.

Quick Reply: new MB SL class....