Sponsored by:

Likemystoppie? got a ban...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
From the 4th Century to the 16th Century.... sounds pretty immutable to me.
But you forgot to qualify it so that it only applies to messengers of bad news. And even then, it's not a given that the bearer of bad news will be looked upon any differently; e.g., someone notifying the relatives of a loved one's death. So it's not an immutable law by any stretch even for bad news bearers.

Now as for Willie plagiarizing, I think it's fair to say that the notion of "not killing the messenger" is one of them there self-evident truths that anyone can come up with independently - just a hunch.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I thought the guy was a bit pompous, but it might have just been a bad day or something.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Methinks the sub-plot of this thread is better than the plot of the thread itself.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ Hopefully there is not much of a sub-plot!

What you are seeing is good natured banter by senile former English Literature students, amateur "Google" sleuths and frustrated wordsmiths.

The real plot here is that a car was offered; and I "briefly" considered making an offer on it based upon the info provided.

It turns out, due to some excellent sleuthing by a respected Rennlist member (Mjones), contradictions (and discrepancies?) were uncovered about the particular car, including actual mileage and real ownership.

The reasons for the confusion have not been fully explained and due to a ban, matters were complicated and explanations left hanging.

That some took umbrage, including me as a potential customer, over the contradictory information is understandable and a testament to positive power of Rennlist.

When the ban is lifted and actual DMV records (as proof of ownership) and current miles (with verifiable date) are posted, the "fog" will clear, and the the chips will fall where they may (and belong).

Anything in the meantime is humor and entertainment, but it shouldn't cloud the seriousness and necessity to establish that the GT2 offered was as represented. If not (and I'll wait to see conclusive proof) the implications are rather dire.

Let's be optimistic, as Regan once said (even if he wasn't the original)

"Trust but verify!"
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I must be among the senile ones, even though I wasn't an English Lit major.

Ah yes, Ronnie said it best: "Doveryai, no proveryai . . . Trust but verify."

Link
Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 AM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reagan? Regan was the dude he fired because Nancy didn't like him. At any rate, I am glad to see fellow literature majors, once told they would starve, able to afford high-end Porsches. I am interested in Stoppie's explaination. From what I understand (and I may not have all the details), it is possible this was mere confusion, rather than dishonesty.

Last edited by 997, esq; 04-14-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 AM
sdw999
Instructor

I just watched The Exorcist not too long ago and I don't remember Regan saying that... I'm curious, was there any sort of warning sent to Chris regarding a potential ban for his post? Is it policy to warn people before bans take place, or is it just automatic? Seems like everyone should at least get a warning before a ban is imposed.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMaples
Methinks the sub-plot of this thread is better than the plot of the thread itself.
I'm pretty new to the Porsche brand, but I know a car nut when I see one. Chris Sanner is the real deal. I've had a million questions to ask people, and about to drop the hammer on a new car. Chris took each question in, and gave me good solid pros and cons. And I am not even buying a car from him. But he was kind and gave me some nice inside info on what to offer for pricing. Basically a friend from the get go. This list is a better place because of his contrubutions.

I hope he decides to return, and this issue becomes a non issue. Life is too short not to enjoy these cars. This is a paraphrase of a quote Chris told me in one of these threads.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
At any rate, I am glad to see fellow literature majors, once told they would starve, are able to afford high-end Porsches.
The sub plot is better, or at least funnier ...

Its the interweb .. too easy to too quickly put something out there. I too am sure it was an honest mistake as I do not think Likemystoppie would waste all the goodwill he gathered thru the years here trying intentionally to slide something by. Should he be held to a higher standard when posting about pricing and specific cars? Yes for sure given his advocation. Is he incapable of messing up once in a while? Well, I've not met him, but i doubt it.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 572 Posts

Read the GT2 thread very carefully, before you draw conclusions.

The ban might only be the start of his problems, if not satisfactorily explained. I think we are seeing a classic thread in the making, and we might expect to hear from the GM of the Dealership before it is all over. I don't think PCNA would take too kindly to cars being misrepresented, if that's, in fact, what happened.

He sought market value and offers for a car represented one way (a friend's car) with 1700 miles; then the car appeared to be a Dealership car with higher miles, and in that Dealership's inventory for months. See the GT3 forum and the "never mind" thread. His initial post has been edited out (why?) but you can see my response(s).

His attempt to close the thread and, after posing a "conspiracy theory" only served to raise more questions than it answered, certainly in my mind. I was an active participant in the thread.

In the meantime, he was banned for breaking forum rules so we will have to wait, until he comes back, for more information and a clarifying explanation before we draw any conclusions.

However, the documentation on the GT2 thread seems to be pretty clear that it was a Dealership car, so it will take some interesting documentation to refute that it was not a Dealership car. And, how as a Sales Manager you would not know that? As the Sales Manager of the Porsche Dealership, it is fair to expect that he knows the inventory. Then why would he represent it as a friend's car (and break the rules in the process)?

"Never mind", as an explanation for Rennlisters, will not do it here (for me anyway). Enquiring minds want to know what happened, so we can come to the correct conclusion.

We wait for the complete story.
WOW
you must spend A LOT OF TIME here ????????

cheers

Craig
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are seeing is good natured banter by senile former English Literature students, amateur "Google" sleuths and frustrated wordsmiths.
I will not get into a war of words with either an Irishman or "OCD" Ben that's taking a knife to a gun fight.

------------------

IB, "Tear down this wall!" (I miss the old cold war. let's start another)
Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
WOW
you must spend A LOT OF TIME here ????????

cheers

Craig
I am practicing for retirement!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I guess I'm just an old guy, and not very good with computers, I was banned for life on the 6speed forum for having 2 user names (I had no idea what there were talking about), and when I tried to find out what they meant, they never replied to me. I had been on that board for almost 7 years, and they were not even decent enough to explain why to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

Well I miss him. I thought he added a lot to this forum. And I would like to hear about the GT2.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Pssst!

I'm baaaack! (again! lol) see my thread(s)

Quick Reply: Likemystoppie? got a ban...