Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcr22042
Wow, as a salesperson at HBL (Porsche of Tysons) I guess I'm a little shocked at how quickly someone's willing to generally trash a whole dealership based on an experience they've had. I've been here over 8 years, and have an extremely loyal, happy, client base that I've built up with hard work, excellent customer service, product knowledge, and a passion for Porsche. I have not and do not pre-judge a customer by his or her appearance and I think this a basic rule that any wise and halfway successful salesperson must follow. I know most of my collegues are the same way, and our management preaches this at our meetings. Our goal is a happy customer, because we know word of mouth and reputation is more powerful than any advertising campaign. I know our company president, Roger Penske, holds extremely high standards and wouldn't be one of the most respected and successful business leaders if his dealers were "a nightmare" as someone above characterized. Are we perfect? No. We are a large and high volume dealership in a busy area. We will goof up occasionally. And every employee many not be a model one--with 25 salespeople working here, some will be better than others.

Sorry to rant, but I can't sit back and read this thread without comment. I know that you could find an unhappy customer for every dealership in the country, and often they will "post-away" on various message boards. Of course it's a one-sided story, told from one perspective. I am proud of what I do and the service I provide. I know in my heart that I take great care of my clients and prospects. We have a beautiful facility, including an indoor vehicle storage facility on-site which holds hundreds of cars (no gravel storage lots miles away). I work hard, every weekend, many nights, in all weather, taking great care of customers, some lookers, some buyers. So I take offense to the above generalizations. But, I feel better now that I have this off my chest!

Enjoy your Porsche!
Jcr, if you do a search here- you'll realize that the comments are not a 'single' event. Not bashing you guys; just saying. Maybe a little 'dealership' introspection would be good. You know, with OUT Mr. Penske preaching it. On the dealerships own accord.

Just saying.

But you're right. Everyone wins some, and loses some. End of the day however, if you have more 'loses' then public wins (which come in MANY forms) then it's time to take a long hard look. With this economy, EVERY dealership is under the microscope.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likemystoppie? you sound like a great guy to deal with and you are closer to me(BUffalo NY) than Langan Porsche. Unfortunately my car arrive at Langan yesterday and I never had a chance to deal with you. Maybe next time.

John
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jcr22042
Wow, as a salesperson at HBL (Porsche of Tysons) I guess I'm a little shocked at how quickly someone's willing to generally trash a whole dealership based on an experience they've had. I've been here over 8 years, and have an extremely loyal, happy, client base that I've built up with hard work, excellent customer service, product knowledge, and a passion for Porsche. I have not and do not pre-judge a customer by his or her appearance and I think this a basic rule that any wise and halfway successful salesperson must follow. I know most of my collegues are the same way, and our management preaches this at our meetings. Our goal is a happy customer, because we know word of mouth and reputation is more powerful than any advertising campaign. I know our company president, Roger Penske, holds extremely high standards and wouldn't be one of the most respected and successful business leaders if his dealers were "a nightmare" as someone above characterized. Are we perfect? No. We are a large and high volume dealership in a busy area. We will goof up occasionally. And every employee many not be a model one--with 25 salespeople working here, some will be better than others.

Sorry to rant, but I can't sit back and read this thread without comment. I know that you could find an unhappy customer for every dealership in the country, and often they will "post-away" on various message boards. Of course it's a one-sided story, told from one perspective. I am proud of what I do and the service I provide. I know in my heart that I take great care of my clients and prospects. We have a beautiful facility, including an indoor vehicle storage facility on-site which holds hundreds of cars (no gravel storage lots miles away). I work hard, every weekend, many nights, in all weather, taking great care of customers, some lookers, some buyers. So I take offense to the above generalizations. But, I feel better now that I have this off my chest!

Enjoy your Porsche!
Well, let me add yet another vote for HBL incompetence to the mix for all you HBL lovers. Perhaps you are the exception to the rule jcr22042, but reading your post made my blood boil. Without going into detail here, I have been intentionally lied to and jerked around by both sales and service personnel (including managers) at HBL. It makes me sick when I think about the number of hours I've wasted and the uniformly deceitful and obstructionist attitude I have encountered when dealing with HBL employees right up the line. There is no doubt in my mind that the propensity for fraud is system-wide. Anyone who wants the gory details can feel free to PM me for an earful of HBL!

BTW, jlinmd, my best experience with Porsche service in the DC area was @ Tischer in Silver Spring. (Sample size of one.)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's only fair for me to say how great my experience was at Suncoast in Sarasota, FL. for a lot of reasons, i bought there (product, experience, price) and shipped the car to Seattle.

My salesman, Henry Freeman, complains he didn't make any money and I complain about how I don't have any! it's like another marriage
Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
tkids
Pro

The dealership I used in KY to order mine Euro delivery, messed up virtually everything! I did all the work making sure they did everything timely manner, glad I had a contact in Georgia, ugh!!! Eventually, they messed up with paperwork which resulted me being charged tax on the refundable VAT! When I went to register my car back in my home state they held the 10k VAT ransom for months till I gave them proof of registration. Eventually, they told me they did me a favor selling me the car at the discount they gave me!

This is the dealership I chose after passing on the Jerky ones in CA, NV. WOW!!

A couple of months ago my experience here in CO was "Par" for the course! I wanted a 09 911 for Euro delivery. It was such a PIA that on the way to the dealership to trade my 06 in and getting an 09 on order, I just said .....NO MORE. I hope this 06 lasts, it is my last Pcar, what a shame!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I think of all the positive experiences I've had with Porsche dealers in the DC, VA, area I think of Tischer and Euroclassics. I am also reminded of my experiences with HBL's sales staff. In all fairness a very mixed bag. Twice I tried to purchase a car there, once ending with me walking away in utter disgust after multiple price changes (always an increase). The 2nd time we just couldn't make the numbers work. The bright side is that I have always gotten excellent treatmeant and service work. Unfortunately the service manager was fired...I was told for giving prices at less than book rate in an effort to bring in more volume. A real loss for a dealership who's bright spot for me was the service department.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 AM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Sweet! Another local on Rennyworld. Aww man...you bought from a competitor?

I tried. I was VERY pleased with your store, but it just didn't work. Cascade had the car I wanted, is closer to my home and were very good to work with. Of course they didn't prep the car as well as your place does, but that is another story.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Likemystoppie? you sound like a great guy to deal with and you are closer to me(BUffalo NY) than Langan Porsche. Unfortunately my car arrive at Langan yesterday and I never had a chance to deal with you. Maybe next time.

John
Aww John! I'm gonnna get all teary eyed!! I hope so man, regardless if you're in the area, hit me up!

Chris

Originally Posted by brendorenn
It's only fair for me to say how great my experience was at Suncoast in Sarasota, FL. for a lot of reasons, i bought there (product, experience, price) and shipped the car to Seattle.

My salesman, Henry Freeman, complains he didn't make any money and I complain about how I don't have any! it's like another marriage

That last part made me LOL out loud! Sounds like good times!

Originally Posted by tkids
The dealership I used in KY to order mine Euro delivery, messed up virtually everything! I did all the work making sure they did everything timely manner, glad I had a contact in Georgia, ugh!!! Eventually, they messed up with paperwork which resulted me being charged tax on the refundable VAT! When I went to register my car back in my home state they held the 10k VAT ransom for months till I gave them proof of registration. Eventually, they told me they did me a favor selling me the car at the discount they gave me!

This is the dealership I chose after passing on the Jerky ones in CA, NV. WOW!!

A couple of months ago my experience here in CO was "Par" for the course! I wanted a 09 911 for Euro delivery. It was such a PIA that on the way to the dealership to trade my 06 in and getting an 09 on order, I just said .....NO MORE. I hope this 06 lasts, it is my last Pcar, what a shame!!!

Man O man. Well, truthfully, doing Euro delivery paperwork is like getting kicked in the ballzz, over and over. But I think if they just were a little more brutally honest with you and keeping communications open, it would be avoidable.

For my prescription, I suggest you buy from ME.

Originally Posted by bingjeep

I tried. I was VERY pleased with your store, but it just didn't work. Cascade had the car I wanted, is closer to my home and were very good to work with. Of course they didn't prep the car as well as your place does, but that is another story.
Well, don't be a stranger. Come in, grab a starbucks and say 'ello!!

*and while your car is in for service I'll do a smokey burnout with her!*

- j/k!!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are Porsche Dealers snobs?

Well, some are.... but it is the Sales guys who think they are smarter than the customers that you want to avoid (and you know why... if you are smart). Especially the ones that position you as a "sucker" after you leave the Dealership.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Are Porsche Dealers snobs?

Well, some are.... but it is the Sales guys who think they are smarter than the customers that you want to avoid (and you know why... if you are smart). Especially the ones that position you as a "sucker" after you leave the Dealership.
Unfortunately that crap is a relection of the upper managment. They set the pace.

Crap pisses me off. I had to work in that environment back at Chambers. Dinks....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, its probably because they had the car I wanted...but I think the two sales people I talked to won me over, all I can say is I had to fly from So Cal to Niello near Sacramento to buy my car. They were straight shooters and took real close ups of any chip paint on a car with 3k on it. They did not misrepresent the car and it was one of the easiest car buying experience I have ever had. And I did this from my home computer in my pajamas.....and they still treated me well. Thank you Niello Porsche...I hope the economy turns around for you guys.
abe
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 AM
msh26
Instructor

Originally Posted by abe
Well, my take is a little different. If you want to be treated in a professional level and taken seriously...then dress the part. You want service at a restaurant....the guy who is dressed appropriately will be treated better than the slob that walks in. I didn't make the rules. Just because someone has money and can outright pay for a new car in cash....doesn't automatically mean the person has class or culture. There appears to be alot of "reverse arrogance/snobbery"...I am too good to dress up for you, but since I have $, you need to attend to me. Well, welcome to the real world and sorry to burst your bubble.
That said, I too have been a victim of the no nothing salesman with no more than a h.s. diploma who thinks you may not be worthy of his time....even when I dressed appropriately. Maybe I should have had a little more gold and diamonds and had my Rolex watch on....NOT. Its a fine line between dressing to impress, dressing appropriately so you don't misrepresent yourself, and dressing like slob where $150k cars are sold and expect respect.
BTW...keep that in mind next time you go to a bank and want a loan or next time you are trying to close a business deal....
IMHO
abe
Abso-Fricken-Lutely!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the biggest BS I ever heard....why the F do we (the buyer) have to dress the part???? We are spending the cash and they (the sales people with their attitude and not even able to get a beater boxster with their ****ty income!) have to stop looking at the outside of their potential costumers! What's next I got to buy a suit to buy a car??

Luckily I never had a problem with snobby sales guys...and I always wear jeans with paint stains and t-shirts with rips and paint stains.....even when I deal with my bank (their suits got them in a boatload of trouble....maybe they should have cared less about impressing and more about the financial mishaps they were creating!!.... If you have 150K to buy a car...you can go naked (well almost!!)...money is power in this country...unlike Europe. and if the sales person doesn't see IT then that is his loss...there are so many dealerships around that we (the consumer) can pick and choose!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
savowood
Advanced

It's not limited to high-end dealers. It's not always appearance or age. When I was living in Germany, I walked into a Peugeot dealership to buy a really nice 205 GTi. While talking with the sales guy, everything was fine. When we went to fill out the paperwork, after he wrote down my name, things changed. I speak German as a native, but my last name is extremely American. He got up, walked away, and the manager came back and did the foot-shuffle him-and-haw, so I left. I came back 3 hours later with a brand new car from the dealer across town. I flashed the lights, waved, flipped the bird, and drove away.

It's not just high end...this crap exists everywhere.

-Michael
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Just to add another positive experience, my wife and i wandered into Porsche of Melbourne last September just to "kick the tires". I was dressed as I normally do on the weekend, t-shirt and shorts. Can't remember whether I had socks on or not, but my jogging shoes were well worn. Our salesman, Horst, greeted us warmly at the door, answered all of our questions, and handed us the keys to a Cayman and said " go have fun, see you in an hour". That and his straight forward manner lead us to eventually order our Carrera from him. When the car was finally "On Vessel", we finalized the deal early and Horst gave us a loaner 2009 Carrera for the interim (about 3 weeks).

Compared to other dealerships, I've been very happy with my treatment at Porshe of Melbourne and would definitely go back there again to buy. Haven't been to the service department yet, but I don't anticipate any issues based on the experience of others.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??