Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009 | 05:34 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Dressing appropriately... I can barely stand to be in a room with someone who's values require a specific dress code. Are we in the Victorian-era England? I do not for one minute buy that carrying yourself properly requires a certain set of clothes and a certain brand of watch.

I agree with being respectful, setting appointments and being assertive with my dealings with a car dealer, but as for a cars salesperson profiling a potential customer solely based on attire before they share one word... that my friends is the mark of an idiot.

And who has time to spend with idiots, even less hand over $100k.

p.s. this was not a flame towards bbrc76, his post was very even handed. I picked his post to quote from because it was the closet to the end of this thread that spoke about "profiling"
fair enough - I consider "appropriate attire" as part of a package in carrying oneself in a professional / business like manner. you are other points are equally valid.

I think we should all grab a drink and put this one to bed.

now I'm gonna cause an argument as to what's an "appropriate" drink...
Old 04-09-2009 | 07:13 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jlinmd
What about guys who come in with a huge clock hanging from their gold chain?

It was too late. I had already done the deal with you. Who woulda thunk you were a Rap'd out Asian with Bling Bling Yo! (Who's also a Dokter)

Originally Posted by points
Thats the guy Im waitin for in my business!! Ole Flavor Flav....hes got some money.
lmao- your true colors are coming out Points!! LOL

Originally Posted by todd.
My point exactly, the right timepiece goes a long way to make up for bad attire.
Originally Posted by todd.
Okay walk in with camo shorts, tank top, no shoes, but be sure to have you Vertu in hand & you're set.
Todd, please don't tell me you've ever EVER owed a Vertu....

*please oh dear lawrd nooooooOOOooo*

Originally Posted by Sadiq
lol exactly what i had in mind! as a side note, how has Vertu survived as a company? hideous overpriced underfunctional cell phones lolz

failzphone...
Old 04-09-2009 | 07:28 PM
westlaker
Instructor

Think of all the young punks who go there just to test drive and kick tires. Salespeople have just learned to size up potential customers to maximize their time. I'd do the same thing.
Old 04-09-2009 | 08:58 PM
boolala
Race Car

Only in America would someome, able to afford a 6 figure car, have so little self respect (and respect for someone else's business) to dress like a friggin' slob just because he can.
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:05 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Originally Posted by boolala
Only in America would someome, able to afford a 6 figure car, have so little self respect (and respect for someone else's business) to dress like a friggin' slob just because he can.
That's why we ALL love america...you don't have to pretend.....you can be yourself.......ef that european dress up nonsense.. I am still in therapy to get ride of it....

Here in Socal...Newport beach, next door......I see Ferrari's, Lambo's etc everyday of the week...a P-car (even a turbo) is here considered a Camry!! My 10 year POS is kind of a old VW bug in the eyes of everybody else but my 2 yr old daughter and this keeps me very humble.....and still I will NOT dress up..for those sales dudes!!!
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:17 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Todd, please don't tell me you've ever EVER owed a Vertu....
Ha! Of course not BB Bold for me, and I have never walked into a Porsche dealership wearing shorts & a tank top either.
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:26 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

The fact that you can buy a $500 pair of Ferragamo flip-flops leads me to think that "dress like a friggin' slob" might be dated thinking. It's regional, for sure, but standards of dress aren't what they were a few decades ago and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Next thing you'll tell me that red cars are too flashy.

(for the record, I don't own flip flops of the $500 or $5 variety)
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:29 PM
savowood
Advanced

I don't think the OP said anything about looking like a slob. Dressing in jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a baseball cap is not necessarily being a slob. I've seen people in suits who look like slobs.

One of my mother's good friends is worth hundreds of millions of dollars (yes...that would be US dollars). He has a stable of two Ferraris, three Porsches, and a Honda Element, and that just in the US...more in Switzerland. He paid cash for each of them. (The Honda might have been pocket change. ) Not one single time did he go to the dealer wearing a suit. His typical daily attire is shorts, sandals, an un-tucked t-shirt, and sunglasses. He doesn't look like a slob. He had three salesdrones size him up as a lookie-lou when he bought his 996TT. He ended up talking directly to the sales manager since none of the drones would talk to him. I was with him and recall their reactions when I drove the Element away and he was pulling out in the new TT he had just paid for with a personal check. That was priceless.

Don't let appearances fool you. Some of the best contacts I have wear jeans to the office every day. I'm on the technical side of sales, and carry a roughly $30M quota. Those guys in the jeans are the ones who help me make it.
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

I bought my son a new Tacoma last Tuesday. Even after going through all the pre purchase BS on the computer, the phone and paying cash it was still a crummy experience(dealt with four different people) I kept thinking to myself it is such a better experience buying a Porsche, Lexus, Benz, etc.
Old 04-09-2009 | 09:53 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

have to say that in looking for my first 911 I haven't met many jerks....most seem helpful....thought a number have been not very responsive....perhaps they were looking for buyers to sign up in a few minutes....but most guys have been helpful. Seems that Porsche dealer seek high prices....or want to charge outrageous prices to CPO cars....many of them seem to list cars....and then tell you later that the car hasn't been CPO....but if I pay all the cost....then they will do it....mmm feels like bottom line dollars for them
Old 04-09-2009 | 10:18 PM
997, esq
Racer

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I bought my son a new Tacoma last Tuesday. Even after going through all the pre purchase BS on the computer, the phone and paying cash it was still a crummy experience(dealt with four different people) I kept thinking to myself it is such a better experience buying a Porsche, Lexus, Benz, etc.
+1 on this. You will get better treatment at higher end dealers than the middle of the road ones. I was surprised when I went to look for a cheap 4x4 at the lousy treatment at Toyota, Nissan, etc. dealers. Part of the problem is that salesmen don't know what to do with someone who doesn't think of things in terms of monthly payments But several of them were flat out liars, who made claims about pricing and their product that were contrary to reliable online information. I ended out buying a used truck in a private sale from a stock analyst who works near me. Very smooth transaction -- better than any dealer and I know where the truck has been.
Old 04-09-2009 | 11:57 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by savowood
I don't think the OP said anything about looking like a slob. Dressing in jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers, and a baseball cap is not necessarily being a slob. I've seen people in suits who look like slobs.

One of my mother's good friends is worth hundreds of millions of dollars (yes...that would be US dollars). He has a stable of two Ferraris, three Porsches, and a Honda Element, and that just in the US...more in Switzerland. He paid cash for each of them. (The Honda might have been pocket change. ) Not one single time did he go to the dealer wearing a suit. His typical daily attire is shorts, sandals, an un-tucked t-shirt, and sunglasses. He doesn't look like a slob. He had three salesdrones size him up as a lookie-lou when he bought his 996TT. He ended up talking directly to the sales manager since none of the drones would talk to him. I was with him and recall their reactions when I drove the Element away and he was pulling out in the new TT he had just paid for with a personal check. That was priceless.

Don't let appearances fool you. Some of the best contacts I have wear jeans to the office every day. I'm on the technical side of sales, and carry a roughly $30M quota. Those guys in the jeans are the ones who help me make it.
Oh, now I see, the "casual chic" crowd which may include the jeans, sneakers and the backwards cap. That's how my patients in the ghetto dress. Now I don't know whether to ask them for their Visa or their Public Aid card.
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:02 AM
pellapat
Intermediate

I went into the dealership last friday with jeans and a tee shirt. The sales people looked at me like what are you doing here. I was considering buying a used A6 that day. The funny thing is last year I made more then all three of those twits. And i bought a used 911 turbo for 38 instead of 50. Now I can spend 12k getting her going. I agree those twits lose more sales due to their ignorance.
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:26 AM
MFC996
Instructor

I just wear my surgical scrubs. They're like jammies and they always seems to get attention for some reason
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:29 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I still remember when I was about 17 getting treated like crap by a dealer; paid cash for a new car at another dealer the next day.

I understand the need for salesmen to size up prospects, but I think it takes a lot more than a first glance at clothes. I think most people can be sized up fairly quickly by talking for a few minutes, although I guess more than a few with **** for brains might also have money. I wore a suit and tie every work day for decades; lately I am leaving the ties home most of the time but still in nice slacks, dress shirt and jacket; but on weekends (when I would more frequently visit the dealer) I tend to go very, very casual. Fortunately, I have bought all the cars listed in my sig at the same dealer, they know me well, they take my personal check without i.d., and life is good.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??