Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche dealers = snobs??

As I come up on my 1-year anniversary with this car, I start to remember my overall horrendous buying experience. First, I walked in to Beverly Hills Porsche. Some Persian woman who knew nothing about Porsches (I wondered if she knew anything about cars at all) was my "sales associate." She eyed me up and down and figured I was just some stupid kid who couldn't afford anything on the lot. Granted, I was 25 at the time and wearing a T-shirt and jeans, but shouldn't I still get some respect as a potential customer? She kept trying to sell me used base model Caymans even though I told her I wanted a 911. Finally she showed me a used 2007 base C2 with a hideous 2-tone interior color scheme and insisted she wanted $90k for it, and would not budge. That was all for me.

Then I went on the internet and found the car I wanted at Rusnak Westlake. I called ahead and spoke to the internet sales manager, who said I should come in and see him. So I show up half an hour later, and he's gone for the day. So then a douchebag tall guy is my sales associate. He also gives me the once-over and gives me the "beat it kid, more than you can afford" attitude. On the test drive, he drives the car for 15 minutes and then "lets" me drive it for 5 minutes. Despite his ****ty attitude and salesmanship, I decide that it's the car for me and the price for me, and I want it. So, as part of the deal, I insist on colored wheel crests, to which he agrees. Then it takes me about 6 months and dozens of emails and phone calls to get them.

So my question is, is it common for Porsche dealers to be such *********? Obviously, there are exceptions, but the only two I've dealt with have been unpleasant/inept. Is it because I'm young and I don't "look like" a typical Porsche owner (i.e., white guy in 50s with khakis... sorry guys, that's just what I think of )? I don't want to go through this bs again for my next car in a few years - is there anything I could have done wrong here? I mean, I AM the customer after all - I shouldn't have to dress up in a suit and tie to go and spend $70k do I?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 AM
akim47
Racer

sounds like my experience w a guy a pacific porsche... his name starts w a "C"... what a ********... just because we are not willing to pay whatever they want, they go right to the "why dont u just buy a cayman then"... the people a walter's porsche in riverside were friendlier. after visiting almost all porsche dealerships in so cal, i did accept a reality... whether you are buying a porsche, or buying your wife a bracelet from cartier, or an expensive watch, you should not be surprised to run into this type of attitude... rather than letting it **** you off, take the high road... i just continue to be as friendly as i can... along the way i've met some really friendly people and will chose to continue to do business with them. several of them at hoehn porsche in san diego... the past 4 years of our econonmy was built under false pretense and look what happened... in today's day of scrutinized spending, salespeople who continue as such will suffer the consequences and become a statistic...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

That's exactly how I "test" dealers. I go in wearing the funkiest jeans I've got and an old faded shirt and see how they react. BTW, I bought my car at Rusnak in Weslake. The sales guy that sold me mine has left there for another dealership. He couldn't have been nicer. Took me for a short ride, then he turned the keys over to me and gave the classic, drive it like you stole it statement.

I ordered my car, waited for it to arrive. Went in wrote them a check and drove it home.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Craig B
Intermediate

Reminds me of the bloke in Australia who walked into the BMW dealership wearing his garbage collection overalls, and got very short shrift indeed. Goes next door, buys a Porsche, and has since bought another half-dozen of them. Apparently a big difference between working on a garbage truck and owning the entire company.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Craig B
Apparently a big difference between working on a garbage truck and owning the entire company.
LOL, awesome. Reminds me of something from a show (ugh... can't remember which show) where a guy "works at" a tire shop but it ends up he owns all 13 locations.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same experience here with my local dealership. Bad attitude.

I had a great experience years ago in Miami. I walk in in jean, t-shirt and flip flops, the salesman asked if he can help me and I told him I didn't want to waste his time since I couldn't afford anything in the showroom and I just stop by to look at the new Porsche as a car enthusiast. He then asked me if I want to take it for a spin, I then repeat I won't buy it and can't afford it. He said you will one day and you are a potential Porsche customer. He let me drive it for 45 min in Miami. Great guy!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, your experiences are not uncommon - however I think my 1st Porsche buying experience was a bit different. I went into the dealer who also sold BMW's and Audi's, where I met Steve, my sales associate. he seemed to be pretty knowlegeable about all of the models so after talking for awhile I tell him I'm interested in a 911. He quickly informed me that he had no 911's but he had a 993 I could look at. After the usual this is this and this is that, he said, here's the key we close at 6:00. This was in a very small town and on a Sat. After that test drive it was all over I've had a Porsche every since. Beleive it or not, Steve still helps out each time I purchase another.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 956 Posts

Generally had pretty good experiences with dealers around the Boston area. Would single out Jeff at Rietzl on south shore as real straight-shooter. Always willing to negotiate and never tries to bull****e me. I respect that.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have had the same experiences in BMW, MB and Porsche dealerships.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Clay
Intermediate

I've had the similar experience with VW in Louisville.

I was ready to pay cash for a GTi VR6 in 1995.
I was then 22 and walked in wearing T-shirt & jeans.
No one would give me the time of day.

Then drove to Indy and got the car I wanted that day.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Before I bought my 911 I was looking at various cars trying to decide what I wanted to buy. I showed up at one of those high-end used car dealerships to look at an M3. I pulled up in my wife's Jeep Wrangler, I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt and a baseball hat. I can barely get the guy's attention even though there isn't a single person in the place. He points me towards the car but doesn't even come over with me. When I ask him if I can take it for a test drive he responds, "sorry but not today, it is raining and I don't want to have to dry it off afterwards."
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a very similar experience buying my wife's 328xi. Philadelphia area dealers, even the one I've bought 6 cars from previously, were arrogant a-holes. Acted like I was doing them a favor buying from them - even in this economy. I made it clear my lease was up, I know what I wanted, and was ready to buy that day. Prices were anywhere from $1000K-$1500 over invoice which sucks. Called a dealer in Amish country (tip from a poster) who was terrific - said I will order what you want for $500 over invoice, guaranteed me 0.9% financing and honored the BMW incentive to pay the first 2 payments up to $1500. Also, agreed to swap out wheels and tires if I wished - no other dealer offered to do that. So I drove 2 hours, picked up the car and had a terrific experience. The Philly dealers can kiss my *** and keep their damn cars sitting on the lot. No one's selling anything here right now.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:36 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great experience with Porsche of Orlando Florida, the sales consultant was very knowledgeable and very helpful, and his name is Andreas.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had this problem at a Porsche or BMW dealer, and I've bought a lot of these cars. I have had these kind of experiences when buying a Mercedes, but only once and that's the only one I will ever buy.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
jlinmd
Racer

I haven't had a bad experience with either BMW, Porsche, or MB. Having said that, things have changed. The availability of the internet has made car shopping so much easier and much more competitive for the dealers. You can pretty much get the deal done before stepping your foot into the dealership. And in the current economical climate, no sales person should have an attitude. They should NEVER have an attitude, since IT IS a customer service oriented profession. Not everyone with money likes to wear Armani suits and sports a Rolex or Cartier on the daily basis, and flash their wealth. If T-shirts and jeans aren't good enough for them, the they're not good enough to earn your business.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??