Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine from Chris at North Olmsted (Likemystoppie?). He made me send him two letters of reference before he would even take my call, and told me I sounded like a "snot-nosed punk" that "couldn't afford a used Jetta" during our first conversation and basically told me to go jump in a lake and start taking the bus to work. Oh, and he also told me he thinks 911s are "stupid" and wishes he sold Hondas. Really nasty fellow, he is.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
I bought mine from Chris at North Olmsted (Likemystoppie?). He made me send him two letters of reference before he would even take my call, and told me I sounded like a "snot-nosed punk" that "couldn't afford a used Jetta" during our first conversation and basically told me to go jump in a lake and start taking the bus to work. Oh, and he also told me he thinks 911s are "stupid" and wishes he sold Hondas. Really nasty fellow, he is.
ROFLMAO.....
Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
chago996
Racer

Your story and the opposite experience from the guy who was treated nicely in Miami years ago reminds me of a really good book I read called "How to win customers and keep them for life". Its brilliant!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

I understand people's frustration here. I have had many experiences with sales people that acted like jerks. And I've had them on both sides of the business - both as an employee and as a potential customer. I used to be a "porter" while in high school and college. For those who aren't famailar with the term, "porters" are responsible for all types of less than desirable tasks around an auto dealership, not the least of which is washing cars. In the dealership - porters are the lowest on the food chain. During my run, I worked in 3 different dealerships.

That all said, I'm curious as to how many of these people complaining work or have significant experience in sales positions?

My point: in business, time is money - ESPECIALLY for sales people. And relationships are built upon mutual respect. If you'd like a sales person to show you some respect, your best chances are to initiate the process on your end. Look presentable and schedule an appointment. Its a two way street.

To those who want to argue all idealistically that this should not be the case, you are welcome to talk about your personal experiences and "victories" by not giving your business to a particular rude salesperson. I'm simply suggesting following a basic guideline that works in most situations: take the path of least resistance.

And now I leave you to bash my suggestion...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

I must say the first dealer I went to was a dream. I'm 32 but look 25 and they treated me like anyone else there. I let them know I was about a year away from buying my first porsche and they let me test drive everything and anything. Kept in touch over the year but unfortunately when it came time to buy they didn't have what I was looking for. I really felt bad I wasn't able to buy from them. I still keep in touch with that dealer now than I do from where I purchased the car.

The second dealer I went to was actually very nice as well and I got the same white glove treatment. In my attempt to get the best price possible I went to every dealer in the area to see what I could get as the best price. I saw 3 others dealers where I got the afore mentioned snobby treatment. It really soured me to the whole experience and even if they had a car I might be interested in, I never returned to the dealership. One guy refused to talk pricing with me until I put down a deposit and I told him I'm not putting money down on something that I don't know what it's going to cost me. The very next day I bought my 06 C2S cab and he called and I let him know what he missed out on.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
997, esq
Racer

I hear what you are saying, bbrc76, and I think it is a good suggestion to dress reasonably nicely and make an appointment. That said, I think you have to be prepared to vote with your feet when a salesperson doesn't treat you with respect or value your time. I had a negative experience at Auto Gallery in LA. Salesguy was condescending and generally full of ****. It may have had something to do with the fact that I was in my early 30s when I bought, and he thought he could pull one over on me. But I knew what to pay, and I was paying cash, and I am not going to deal with people that don't understand that a car purchase is a simple business transaction that doesn't require more than 30 minutes of negotiation. Anyway, it felt very good to send the Auto Gallery guy an email thanking him for his time and telling him I had purchased elsewhere. That is the best way to improve the behavior of salespeople.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

That was my experience as well with Beverly Hills Porsche...I actually went in business attire and wasn't treated badly but wasn't really treated like you should be treated as well.

I ended up buying out of state with N. Olmsted Porsche. Talk to Chris (Likemystoppie), you won't get a better buying experience than what Chris and Bernie did for me. Yes I had to wait 10 days for the delivery of the vehicle...but the money I saved along with the great service more than made up for this.

Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by am722
I would have called him but I hear he once punched a potential customer in the face over the telephone.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by bbrc76
I understand people's frustration here. I have had many experiences with sales people that acted like jerks. And I've had them on both sides of the business - both as an employee and as a potential customer. I used to be a "porter" while in high school and college. For those who aren't famailar with the term, "porters" are responsible for all types of less than desirable tasks around an auto dealership, not the least of which is washing cars. In the dealership - porters are the lowest on the food chain. During my run, I worked in 3 different dealerships.

That all said, I'm curious as to how many of these people complaining work or have significant experience in sales positions?

My point: in business, time is money - ESPECIALLY for sales people. And relationships are built upon mutual respect. If you'd like a sales person to show you some respect, your best chances are to initiate the process on your end. Look presentable and schedule an appointment. Its a two way street.

To those who want to argue all idealistically that this should not be the case, you are welcome to talk about your personal experiences and "victories" by not giving your business to a particular rude salesperson. I'm simply suggesting following a basic guideline that works in most situations: take the path of least resistance.

And now I leave you to bash my suggestion...
I hear ya man. But the way "I" look at sales is this:

This is MY profession. Sales , at it's core- is a human, to human relationship. And I view it as, I should A) know my product as best as I can. B) know my competitors product as best as I can. C) Be Honest. and D) Be PASSIONATE about it.

One, is clealry not worth more then the other. But if I had to pick, I'd pick honesty as the clear winner of the 4. The problem that most sales professionals (as I see it) view their 'time is money' is that they're putting the 'money' first- and not the relationship. Also, too many sales people are selling something they aren't passionate about. Even when I did mortgages, I was helping people achieve their dreams, albeit short or long term goals. And it's exciting. It's a huge commitment. And it should be treated with care.

Care is what lacking from most sales people. Keep thinking with your wallet, and that client whom you thought was a 'waist of your time' because you're 'oh so busy'.
- Ya, they just bought from your competitor. How's that attitude working for you?

Now, on the flip side, some people just LOVE to abuse sales people. I refer to these people as complete douche bags. Probably have never sold a thing in their life, let alone been in a 100% commission based job- OR- almost as common, are sales people them SELVES; who probably completely suck or are pretty ****ty sales people- and think it's a 'hoot' to treat others this way.

Being a sales professional, means your 'style' is representitive of your character. And it's a lot like baseball. You only get a chance to hit a home run ONLY if you're getting up to bat. The more often you get up to bat, the more likely you'll hit a homer.

Even with Baseball, only the great ones become great because they evolve, change and grow as a player. As a sales person. To be the very best they can be.

Can we hug now?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had similar experiences at the dealers where there seems to be this elitist mentality. However, I'm thinking that part of that is that there is clientel with money to spend that bring that thinking to the dealer and a business owner would be a fool not to address that customer segment. There is the usual trophy girlfriend of rich guy who is getting her 911 to go with his Ferrari sort of folks, and the maintenance bay. Part of it is, however, a bit of general snootiness on the part of the staff, unfortunately. Another reason I so much more prefer spending time at my VW dealership than at the local Porsche dealership.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 385 Likes on 224 Posts

Interesting responses. When I go the showroom I dress comfortably (jeans and a t or polo shirt) and I don't have (or want) expensive watches. When I go to work I wear a Hickey Freeman- but not on the weekends, not on my own time and certainly not to visit a car dealer.

But by the time I get to a showroom and am buying the deal is basically done- we just sign the papers. The last three cars we purchased new were BMWs; we sent out faxes (or e-mails) stating the options and colors we wanted and requested quotes. We left our fax and phone numbers- most dealerships were happy to provide a quote and the selected dealers were happy take our deposit on the phone. Once the car arrived, sealing the deal took less than an hour and no time was wasted by anyone.

I was treated like sh*t at the last two Porsche dealerships I visited- even driving up in a new X5 or 911. These were HBL and Rockville PA. OTOH when I go to Tischer or VOB BMW I've always been treated with courtesy and respect- even though I'm usually just looking or waiting to buy a part. I think their sales managers are on to something. Our cars have usually been purchased at one or the other.

BTW I NEVER agree to the arbitration clause that seems to be in every buyer's order these days.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by George from MD
Interesting responses. When I go the showroom I dress comfortably (jeans and a t or polo shirt) and I don't have (or want) expensive watches. When I go to work I wear a Hickey Freeman- but not on the weekends, not on my own time and certainly not to visit a car dealer.

But by the time I get to a showroom and am buying the deal is basically done- we just sign the papers. The last three cars we purchased new were BMWs; we sent out faxes (or e-mails) stating the options and colors we wanted and requested quotes. We left our fax and phone numbers- most dealerships were happy to provide a quote and the selected dealers were happy take our deposit on the phone. Once the car arrived, sealing the deal took less than an hour and no time was wasted by anyone.

I was treated like sh*t at the last two Porsche dealerships I visited- even driving up in a new X5 or 911. These were HBL and Rockville PA. OTOH when I go to Tischer or VOB BMW I've always been treated with courtesy and respect- even though I'm usually just looking or waiting to buy a part. I think their sales managers are on to something. Our cars have usually been purchased at one or the other.

BTW I NEVER agree to the arbitration clause that seems to be in every buyer's order these days.

what about the 'you must buy Chris a Sam Adams (preferrably a ice cold 20oz). Would you sign that one?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
rbaron
Racer

I'm happy with my local dealer and have a long time relationship with them, so I've been following this thread just out of curiosity.

And noting the pretty universal condemnation of HBL - and not knowing what it is - I just googled it and see it is a Penske dealership in Virginia.

I'm old enough to remember Roger from when he was a driver. Is this typical of his dealerships? I'm mildly surprised......
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, my take is a little different. If you want to be treated in a professional level and taken seriously...then dress the part. You want service at a restaurant....the guy who is dressed appropriately will be treated better than the slob that walks in. I didn't make the rules. Just because someone has money and can outright pay for a new car in cash....doesn't automatically mean the person has class or culture. There appears to be alot of "reverse arrogance/snobbery"...I am too good to dress up for you, but since I have $, you need to attend to me. Well, welcome to the real world and sorry to burst your bubble.
That said, I too have been a victim of the no nothing salesman with no more than a h.s. diploma who thinks you may not be worthy of his time....even when I dressed appropriately. Maybe I should have had a little more gold and diamonds and had my Rolex watch on....NOT. Its a fine line between dressing to impress, dressing appropriately so you don't misrepresent yourself, and dressing like slob where $150k cars are sold and expect respect.
BTW...keep that in mind next time you go to a bank and want a loan or next time you are trying to close a business deal....
IMHO
abe
Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

After I bought my 308 in 1981, I became friends with my salesperson who stopped selling cars to become a stock broker. One day, I asked him...how do you guys know who's a potential buyer or just a joy rider wanting a experience a Ferrari ? His repsonse...you never knows in today's world who is a buyer. Comapny policy --anyone can drive but never alone. Most real buyers will not disrespect the machine.

And then he says---by the way..you walked in here in a T shirt and torn cut offs. If I had judged your book by its cover, I would not have considered you would buy the car 3 days later.

My Porsche buying expereince was excellent. I had been quoted a disount %. by the GM on the phone and he then turned me to a salesman who in his words..knew more about the cars. Took one test drive and about 10 minutes to come to terms. Switched the lobster forks for sports designs and I picked the car up the next day.

However, I did not go the P car dealer closest to me home. They treated me like crap when I wanted an A-6 2.7T for my wife. At that time, the Audis and Porsches were under one roof and if you were not a Porsche customer, you were invisible. To this day, I will not go near the place unless its closed and I am just "window shopping" their lot. Today, I chuckle when I see their lot overflowing with cars costing them $$ every day they sit gathering dust. THE WORST SNOBS I KNOW.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??