Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is endemic with any high dollar product and only illustrates that they have a lousy or non-existant sales training program. In 2005 I stopped at the Indy Mercedes dealer with my grandson after his baseball practice, driving one of his dad's work trucks. "Rude" was the operative word, not even snobbery. 2 hours (yes, 2 hours) later I bought a new M3 a mile down the road.

Years ago as a coowner of a motorhome dealership we had a "bum" walk in early one Saturday morning and the salepeople ignored him as he walked around the lot. Eventually he started talking to a service guy who answered his questions and showed him what he wanted to see. Final result - the serviceman "sold" him a unit at full bore + about $8k in add ons. I did the paperwork and paid the service guy the earned commission; about $3,500. This finally got 3 salespeople to realize "you don't judge a book by it's cover".
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

There are genuine a-hole sales people out there and that sucks if you ran into two of them. Without knowing how the actual conversation started it's tough to tell if the sales person was just using their time-wasting filter. If you've every been in sales you naturally develop your own way to decide on who you should spend your time with. You listen to what kind of questions they have and details about themselves they give away.

Not saying you were in there wasting their time. I started shopping for nicer cars in my mid-20's and had my fair share of bad car salesmen. I'm in my mid-30's now and still dread that first visit to a new dealer because of it. The last two dealers I visited was a Porsche one and a Land Rover one, both in a t-shirt and shorts. The sales person at both dealers were very helpful. But I think it helped that I came in shooting straight.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
lig
Racer

I've never had problems with dealership sales people when I did either of two things:

1. Make an appointment for a test drive or:

2. Showing up in a pricey car
Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
AngM018
Instructor

Originally Posted by lig
I've never had problems with dealership sales people when I did either of two things:

1. Make an appointment for a test drive or:

2. Showing up in a pricey car

This cuts out all the qualifying questions.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Champion in Pompano was all over me the minute I walked in.....unlike Braman in West Palm. I walk into braman in my work shorts and see a coffee klatch of salesman yappin...as I walk around I figure one of em would come over and ask if I need help. It does not happen so I ask a few questions like can I change wheels etc etc and the dude walks away from me. That was it....drove 40 miles south and ordered my car from Scott at Champion.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i've had my fair share of snoby salesmen over the years and would almost expect it at higher-end dealers. This is why I was pleasantly surprised when I bought my car from Porsche of Westwood just outside of Boston. My salesperson (Jerry) was a straight-shooter throughout the process and everything that was agreed to in the deal in terms of extras was done when I picked the car. It was greatly appreciated since I had a 10hr drive home!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be 37 this year. I'm dark skinned, shave my head, and have facial hair. I don't dress up unless my wife forces me to do so... my standard "unfiorm" is a Reyn Spooner Hawaiian shirt, Rainbow sandals, cargo shorts, and an Angels ball cap. In short, I don't fit the demographic of most folks shopping for a $100,000+ car.

I've always been treated well at the Lexus dealerships we've used. I've always been treated well at the Honda and Toyota dealerships we've used. I've never, ever had a good experience at a MB or BMW dealership when I've cross shopped their vehicles. And I had a terrible experience at Newport Beach Porsche.

But I had the best experience I've ever had when I bought my 997 last year at Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad, CA.

My point(s):
- a$$holes at car dealerships aren't brand specific.
- you can have widely different experiences with the same brand depending on the dealership.

Personally, I would never give a penny (service, parts, purchase, etc.) to any dealership that I've been treated poorly at. There are far too many good alternatives.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Porsche experiences have all been great. My last 5 Porsches have been purchased from the same excellent salesman, who I have followed to 3 Porsche dealerships just to continue that relationship.
It's when I buy low-line cars, and amazingly BMW's, even my 7 series, that I deal with morons who are only wired to sell to people who need the dealership much more than the dealership needs the customer. My multiple Mercedes experiences in Walnut Creek, and especially Newport Beach have been phenonimal.

I do tend have a presence though, usually wearing a watch that costs more than many cars, and am very direct, and immediately take control of my sales experience regardless of it being a Porsche or VW. Even if I am in shorts and a tank top, I walk in with a ton of confidence, this lets them know I am for real, and will NOT tolerate BS. I've been in sales my whole life, and it's common for salespeople to turn apathetic towards certain types of customers based experience. Through this is generally wrong, and can sometimes come back to hurt them when some dirtbag leaves in a new Carerra GT purchased through another salesperson, it's also painful when you spend valuable time with some stroker. I have never been in car sales, but sales is sales, and I have been F**D over by people who looked like crap & learned. My advice would be, if you want to buy $100,000 car, be serious about it and you'll get the treatment you want. If you show up to a nice restaurant dressed like crap, don't expect to taken seriously, but DO expect to feel uncomfortable the whole time you're eating.

Hi end sales is all about relationships. Once you forge a strong one, it's amazing the doors that open for you.

Last edited by todd.; 04-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

My closest Porsche dealer was very nice guy and helpful...given that I am looking at my first P...but drove up in a nice car...the other local option I pulled up in the same car, same dog in the back seat looked a various Porsches in the show room and in the lot...after 15 minutes of being alone I got back in my car and drove off. Goes to show you never know what to expect but I agree that all professional sales folks ought to treat potential buyers of expensive toys very well.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Todd: Well said!

hikejohn: I've had the same experience at the local BMW dealer. I walk in dressed for the office, sit in the M3, open up the hood, trunk, etc. and generally fart around with the car for 10 minutes and nobody comes over. This has happened several times. (That was just one of the many reasons I didn't by an M3.)
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Timing is wonderful...just got an email from the dealer that ignored me offering me a choice of 2008 models at what appears to be a 20% discount....tempting but not sure I want a new Porsche as my first one....plus they are still expensive and while it nice to see them sell them "cheap"...this may just add to acceleration of depreciation for everyone
Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This situation is something that Porsche has been working on and in some cases, not entirely effective at improving. As a Porsche customer for over 4 decades I have watched a variety of changes to their sales operations. When I approached my local dealership when I was ready to order a car the sales guy was a loser. He seemed to be making up stuff, like what a deposit would be on an order, and the time it takes to get a delivery. He had an English accent and seemed quite full of himself. I asked him to call me with the information. He never did. Many customers would call if quits with that dealership, after one bad experience. I was aware of another salesman who I knew through the PCA organization and sought him out. The change was remarkable. Here was someone who actually understood who the customer was. Business was cordial, professional, and done very satisfactorily. I later found the original salesman was gone, and apparently his conduct with me was not unique,--thus the reason for his dismissal.

While I'm in a unique market place here in SoCal and in a very affluent town, Porsche salesmen are learning not to judge by appearances alone. As my later salesman told me, he sees all sorts of people coming through and they never judge. One day a woman came in to buy a Porsche for her husband, having looked at something else at another dealership,--but she wanted something different. She wound up buying a Carrera GT for him. (They has to transfer in a car).

As a club of some size, our region of the PCA keeps tabs on dealerships that service our community. And we talk amongst ourselves. We learn of which places take service shortcuts, and which dealers are snobs.

Remember always, YOU are the customer, and THEY have to work there.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
sounds like my experience w a guy a pacific porsche... his name starts w a "C"... what a ********... just because we are not willing to pay whatever they want, they go right to the "why dont u just buy a cayman then"... the people a walter's porsche in riverside were friendlier. after visiting almost all porsche dealerships in so cal, i did accept a reality... whether you are buying a porsche, or buying your wife a bracelet from cartier, or an expensive watch, you should not be surprised to run into this type of attitude... rather than letting it **** you off, take the high road... i just continue to be as friendly as i can... along the way i've met some really friendly people and will chose to continue to do business with them. several of them at hoehn porsche in san diego... the past 4 years of our econonmy was built under false pretense and look what happened... in today's day of scrutinized spending, salespeople who continue as such will suffer the consequences and become a statistic...
Akim47... I had to laugh at your post as I had the exact opposite experience with both dealers. Walters had the exact car I wanted but was not willing to deal. The sales manager said they were the most aggressive around but the invoice price had gone up (on a lot car????) not to mention sales were picking up so take it or leave it. The next day I checked Pacific Porsche and found almost the exact same car. Made them the same offer which they accepted and I purchased that night. I should mention that this was all done over the internet and phone.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Sadiq

So my question is, is it common for Porsche dealers to be such *********?

Yes. Now GTFO if you're not going to pay over sticker and give me a deposit RIGHT NOW!

(it's karma cos you didn't buy from meeeee!!)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
dk10438
Track Day

you shouldn't have to drive up in a nice car to get good service. I do think it helps if you make an appointment if you want to drive a car. That way you can have the salespersons undivided attention.

I don't make it a point to wear nicer clothes to buy a car. I am in Los Angeles afterall so I've worn shorts and a T shirt. The very worst experience I have ever had was when I took my Infiniti to get serviced and Enterprise was located in the Jaguar building next door. I was checking out the new XK and asking some questions and the salesperson said "come back when you're making more money". I was dressed my business clothes (I'm a physician) so I was very presentable. I'm thinking excuse me?? At the age of 35 I've already owned an M3, Porsche, G35, and Lexus (wife's car) and I make enough money to buy the car outright and you're telling me to come back when I have more money????

I guess that's why you have to be half dead before you want to buy a Jag...

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??