Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some input

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The same can be said for the 3.8 S. Softronic, AWE cats, and X51 headers totally change the car for the better, especially on the track.

Bottom line is both are great cars. If street car only, base C2 would be absolutely more than enough. If heading for the track, get a C2S for the brakes and engine.

Originally Posted by Restless
I have a different take on the S versus Base 3.6. I have the 3.6 and took a 3.8 for a test drive. That was enough to make me happy with the 3.6.

However, my 3.6 is not stock. The stock 3.6 (05) had a horrible drop in performance at 3200-3400 rpm. Felt like you drove into a hole. Modified the cpu, added headers and an EVO air intake, and I now prefer the 3.6 to the 3.8. I felt the 3.6 was artificially strangled by the cpu to create a HP difference between the engines. Once that was corrected, the 3.6 is full of fun, and now accelerated in a smooth arc without any annoying drops in power.

Also, a sport shift for the 6speed is a great option as well, either from the factory or through various vendors.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most definitely, Ron. And eventurally, this car will get modded (in due time). I have to admit, I really like the idea of starting out with an S. It may be more than I need, but at the same time, so is a Porsche. I really only 'need' a Hyundai :-)

I did expand my search out a couple hundred miles and there seems to be a lot of nicely appointed S's out there in my price range (assuming I can do some bargaining). I'm still a little leary about agreeing to buy a car based on some online pics and a CPO. However, if the car is CPO'd, there really isn't anything to for me to worry about right?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There's always a risk on any used car, but with CPO at least you know a Porsche dealer went through it with a fine tooth comb and replaced whatever wasn't 100%. The last CPO car I got was a 2005 Boxster S for my wife and kids to enjoy. Everything was done on it through CPO - all fluids, brakes, filters, alignment, tires, etc. Several parts were also replaced, like a plastic wheel well liner that got slightly damaged when something kicked up.

It's easy enough to sign a contract on a CPO car that's 250 miles away without seeing it first, as long as you have it subject to inspection. Once you have the deal done and have reviewed the CPO report and service records (make sure to request a DME report and have them send you a fax or scan of the page showing the engine revolutions to insure the engine wasn't abused), then you'll be ready to fly to wherever the car is, inspect it, complete the transaction, and then drive it home. Or, make your deal, drive out to see it, and then finalize things.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM
krenshaw
Track Day

Good call Ron. After shopping around today, CPO is a must have for me.

So, I just got home from a couple test drives. Without a doubt, I'm in the market for a C2S.

Here's a scenario, let me see what you guys think:

2006 C2S: 16,600 miles

Already CPO'd
Full leather
Htd. Seats
Power Seats
Bose High End Sound (w/ CD changer)
Clear Markers (the deal breaker! j/k)

Asking $62,500. First round of talking with salesman and manager and they're giving me $59,500. What's the consensus here? Good price or should it be less?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Having spent the last number of weeks looking around....getting close to one or two cars...I suspect you can do better with CPO...more options...similar miles....
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by krenshaw
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first-time poster here. I’ve enjoyed reading all of your informative posts for a while now and after years of jealously gawking at your beautiful rides, I've decided it's time for me to join the 997 family.

I'm currently scoping things out in my local (Connecticut) preowned market right now and getting ready to take a few test drives. Here’s my current wish list:

997 (preferably S) - with less than 10,000k miles.

C2S or C4S – I’m really up in the air about this one and it’ll probably come down to the test drives. I’d LOVE a C4S, but there don’t seem to be many in the preowned market, and any that I do find are asking a hefty premium over, say a C2S. FYI – I’ll be using this car as a daily driver and may occasionally have to get through some snow. I’m confident that a C2S with a good set of snows will get me through the winter just fine. But, I truly love the wide body look of the C4S and the added security of AWD.

Other options I’d like: heated seats, Bose premium, would prefer full leather, and Nav. (but that’s not a must have).

So, I THINK I know what I want but, like any newbie, I've got some questions:

1) What is the general consensus on the base 997 vs. 997S around here? I've read countless posts and magazine articles and I've studied all of their mechanical differences. But how about personal opinions? Are there any out there that bought a base 997 and wish that you went for the S? I’m mostly asking because I’ve seen a couple of nice looking base C4’s in my area that I’m considering. I've tried some searches here on the forum, as I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad-nauseam, but I think my searching skills may be subpar!
2) I know there are huge deals to be had in the preowned 997 market right now. But what about leftover new 2008’s? Has anyone seen similar drastic discounts (ie – prices in the $60k range) on these cars?
3) Does anybody have any preferred dealers in the CT/NY area? I’ve visited a couple, but with the great knowledge base on this board, I’m curious if anybody has made any particularly good connections and can recommend a good dealer/salesperson?

You guys have a great forum here and I’m looking forward to being a more active member and hopefully P-car owner soon!

Sorry for the long-winded first post... I guess I've been saving it all up for a while!

Cheers.

Late to the party but I'm here!!

What's going on up in here?!

Quick Reply: Looking for some input