Matte Blacked my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool Powder Coat Satin/Matte Black my wheels

Powder coated the OEM wheels Satin Black, then clearcoated Matte.

I did the pin striping myself. Ordered three different colors, light gray(light the stock wheel silver) which I ended up using, dark gray(too dark for me, almost cant be seen, and red(same red as the brake caliper color but it didnt tie up with the rest of the car's color.

I think these pictures dont do justice but here they are anyways:

Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I really like the look Mike.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thansk Dave. cant wait to see your's(orange in black!)

I just need to get the car lowered now. Hate the 4X4 look. But I strongly think that I'll keep it the way it is cause of PASM and scraping.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow! Great look on the wheels.
And very nice job on the pinstriping.
My question is: will that beautiful pinstriping hold up?
Although, I don't know how you could have had that thin an edge polished (or satin finished) since there really isn't an "edge" there.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Leader
Wow! Great look on the wheels.
And very nice job on the pinstriping.
My question is: will that beautiful pinstriping hold up?
Although, I don't know how you could have had that thin an edge polished (or satin finished) since there really isn't an "edge" there.
I dont think the pin striping will hold up for years and years, but its so cheap that you can change colors once in a while. The package for four wheels is only $9 guranteed for 5 years as except for if you scracth or intentionaly scrape it. It will come of if you brush on something hard.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

At those prices, and with your obvious skill in putting the pinstriping on, it's no big deal if you have to replace one every so often.
Very cool.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great Mike!

Did you consider a yellow stripe? Here is a quick photoshop on yellow.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nicely done.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent job on those Sport Design wheels! Saved yourself $1815 which Porsche charges for those wheels painted black from the factory. Where did you buy the pinstriping material?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Leader
At those prices, and with your obvious skill in putting the pinstriping on, it's no big deal if you have to replace one every so often.
Very cool.
Thanks! Yes, since they're inexpensive they're easily replaceable. They're not hard to apply too since they are already pre cut half circle to 19" rims.

Originally Posted by gota911
Looks great Mike! Did you consider a yellow stripe? Here is a quick photoshop on yellow.
Thanks Tim! I sure did consider Ylw, (Even bought red to match the calipers)but Im trying to subdue the wheels a little and tone down the yellow car ( ), I originally wanted to leave the original rim color for the lips, so I settled with the silver.

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Very nicely done.
Thanks

Originally Posted by 1996993coupe
Excellent job on those Sport Design wheels! Saved yourself $1815 which Porsche charges for those wheels painted black from the factory. Where did you buy the pinstriping material?
Thanks. got them from this shop Graphic Language They are great quality and inexpensive.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

You'd have to do a real clean job on the pin striping or when the wheels rotate it will show and look odd.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I love the finish of black you did.

You did the color 1st then a matt clear coat over the top?

How much did this cost and how long did it take for the shop to put the black color and coating on?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

I guess I misunderstood your use of the pin-stripping. I would have put the striping on, painted the rims, and then peel that stuff off, using it as a mask instead. It would give you a great edge line. The finish is ideal to me. Personally, I can't stand the glossy crap they are pumping out of Zuff. today.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by sharmat
You'd have to do a real clean job on the pin striping or when the wheels rotate it will show and look odd.

Originally Posted by mdrums
I love the finish of black you did. You did the color 1st then a matt clear coat over the top? How much did this cost and how long did it take for the shop to put the black color and coating on?
Thanks It was a one week turn around from that powder coating place (Precision Powder Coating, Virginia Beach) (local here). Depends on how much work you want done. Mine were around $95 per wheel.

Both coatings of base and clear coat were powder coated(baked).

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I guess I misunderstood your use of the pin-stripping. I would have put the striping on, painted the rims, and then peel that stuff off, using it as a mask instead. It would give you a great edge line. The finish is ideal to me. Personally, I can't stand the glossy crap they are pumping out of Zuff. today.
Dan, I thought of that process intitially, but three things I considered which made opt to just one solid color..One is there's no perfect circular line for the painters to follow and was afraid they'll be crooked. Two, when they sand blast to clean the rim, they would have to mask that lip which when painted, it might/might not leave a line that, that Three, install & removal of tires in the future will beat up the lip(edge) and make it hard to touch up. BUT Im sure it would have work too. With the Pin strippes (right one the surface, I could replace them/ change the color anytime
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! The Carrera II's look fantastic in the matte black finish. The matte gives the car such a purposeful, businesslike look.

So, they actually blasted off your original finish, then powdercoated over the base metal? My only wonder: does the baking affect the strength of the wheel? Either for better or worse? I guess a metallurgist could answer?

I would like to follow suit with what you did with my, now extra, set of Carrera II's for a winter snow tire set-up instead of selling them (on the Rennlist classifieds). At $95 per wheel, it is a extremely reasonable!

Anyhow- gutsy move to try this, and your courage was rewarded!

Quick Reply: Matte Blacked my wheels