Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK controls not intuitive in my opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK controls not intuitive in my opinion...

After 3 weeks of owning my new PDK and putting in some more driving time this week as the weather warmed up I can report that the PDK push in to upshift and pull back to downshift is not natural or intuitive. I had no prior experience and was very willing to learn it the Porsche PDK way, but find that I naturally want to pull back to upshift and push in to downshift. Maybe it's because I'm left handed, but I just can't feel totally confident racking through the gears fast until I subconsciously get it down.

I feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk trying to get the beat. It'll come together for me, but I hope Porsche doesn't reverse the control functionality in 2010, then I'm screwed if I buy another PDK after adapting to my current setup.

Last edited by todd.; 03-22-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: needed to add more.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the controls. I've gotten used to them. The only gripe I have is the shifter, which is opposite of what most manufacturers have.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

There's a rumor (supposedly from a good source) that paddles will be available in 2010... See it HERE.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
There's a rumor (supposedly from a good source) that paddles will be available in 2010
That's great for future buyers if Porsche gets it right this time, and bad for '09 PDK owners. An acknowledged critical design flaw like that should be a recall for '09's if Porsche does change the design in 2010. After unintentionally downshifting into 1st instead of up to 3rd once I am apprehensive of the PDK, which now requires thought. Whereas, with a 6 speed it was an extension of my arm, muscle memory, feel, not conscience thought.

This is real dilemma for prospective PDK buyers, as some may never adapt.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
That's great for future buyers if Porsche gets it right this time, and bad for '09 PDK owners. An acknowledged critical design flaw like that should be a recall for '09's if Porsche does change the design in 2010. After unintentionally downshifting into 1st instead of up to 3rd once I am apprehensive of the PDK, which now requires thought. Whereas, with a 6 speed it was an extension of my arm, muscle memory, feel, not conscience thought.

This is real dilemma for prospective PDK buyers, as some may never adapt.
I do not agree that PAG is in error on the '09. It is a user interface and people adapt to that. Heck people went from 3 gears (1st down) to 4, 5 and 6 and dog-legged setups and they had no problem...

And let's be consistent... if you developed hand/arm muscle memory... you can develop finger muscle memory.

And if the paddles are made available, they may be retrofittable.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
if you developed hand/arm muscle memory... you can develop finger muscle memory
My Wife agrees, and told me I'll master the the PDK controls just fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 AM
PT Doc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are definitely not the only one that has reported that it is the exact opposite of what one would expect it to be. It would be neat if that functionality could be reversed with through a technician's keystroke. HAs anyone looked into the possibility that this feature is customizable?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

This may be your solution. Steering wheel with paddles: http://www.speedart-tuning.de/2008/i...&L=2&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1

Go to page 2
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I adapted to the Push Pull PDK steering wheel control rather quickly, however that is me and my usual mode of cordination. Some people are not so and will take longer.

I do hope Porsche does come out with race style paddles for PDK.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue about the poor user interface on PDK has been debated endlessly. Yes you can learn to do anything. The key point though is the interface is a poor design. It's not intuitive. End of discussion. If you don;t believe me ask someone involved in ergonomics and design and you will get your "expert" answer.

Porsche cannot backtrack but can save face (or at least marketing's) by offering an alternative as a priced option. That's likely to be a choice of 2 additional wheels, both with paddles mounted to the back of the wheel. One wheel will be "clean" and the other will have all the radio, phone, latte-maker button-fest all over it.

Having the paddles attached to the wheel is not ideal, but it's better than the current arrangement by a long way.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJF1
This may be your solution. Steering wheel with paddles: http://www.speedart-tuning.de/2008/i...&L=2&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1

Go to page 2
Thank you for the link, looks perfect.

Quick Reply: PDK controls not intuitive in my opinion...