Allure Garage Flooring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Allure Garage Flooring

Hi Everyone,
I have been thinking about how to make over my new garage floor (geez, we don't even close on the place until the end of the month). I want to do the work myself simply from the point of view that I think it is the sort of project that I could enjoy.
The floor in this garage has about a 20 x 18 ft^2 area plus a few little coves and outcroppings to complicate things. The floor is concrete.
My first stop is going to be the Rustoleum Epoxy kit sold at Home Depot. I have read good things about the kit's efficacy and ease of use. I had also considered Griot's garage paint for the floor but I like the Epoxy look.
Then, I am considering installing either 1) Racedeck tiles (I have an estimate already) or 2) the Allure system from Home Depot.

My Q to you all is concerning the Allure system. I have read tons of reviews on Racedeck almost all of which are highly favorable. The sample of Racedeck I received in the mail is very robust!

The Allure tiles are 12x36 inches and overlap each other with a peel and stick adhesive. They come in the same black, gray and red colors that I would use for Racedeck. They are more like the thickness of vinyl tiles and could easily be cut to conform to many of the funny outcroppings in this garage. This ease of cutting to me is the high point of the Allure system.

Has anyone here had any experience with the Allure tiles?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dave,

Why would you do an epoxy and the put tiles over that? I haven't looked at the price of each, but you might be able to get a professional garage floor company to come in and do an epoxy floor for you.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with it. My concern would be whether the adhesive is strong enough to hold the tiles in place when you turn the steering wheel, etc. Lots of force on the floor from those big fat tires! I suppose you could buy a few pieces and try it.

I don't understand why you'd spend the money to epoxy the floor and then just cover it with tile. Why not just clean and seal the concrete?

BTW we've done the epoxy twice. The first time lasted 3-4 years before it looked too awful from bare patches. This latest time we did much more thorough prep, by the book. That was last summer. And already there are a couple of small bare spots (where the 997 rear wheels tend to sit). The winter salt and much doesn't help much. But the floor does look pretty good and is easy to clean (and slippery when wet, even with the grippy stuff added).
Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

My thoughts exactly. I have been thinking about epoxying the floor. I also plan to mount large rubber patches (1/2" thick) where I park the wheels - that should solve the wear issue and it will help flat-spotting. What do you think?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:10 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 952 Likes on 528 Posts

Do the floor tiles come in orange?

Hey, they do:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90401

You could mix and match a pattern with some black ones, to match the color combo of your car.

"Choose from a variety of colors and textures designed for both commercial and residential use. Lay allure directly over your old flooring. Virtually no surface preparation is needed. With our patented GripStrip process you just lay the allure tiles down and secure them together easily with no messy adhesive required. The planks stick to each other, not to your floor, and they were designed for easy handling. Durable, waterproof, ice, heat, and road salt resistant allure Commercial can be used in most rooms, including garages, basements, restaurants, offices, and studios."
Old 03-22-2009, 03:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do the epoxy floor correctly, and prevent any lifting of the finish, it is necessary to etch the concrete first. The installers "ball-pinged" my floor to achieve the etching, and I have never had a problem.

What is characterized as wear on the epoxy floor, is more often than not, lifting due to the poor bonding resulting from "short cut" preparation.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:21 PM
mstams
Racer

What about cracks in the concrete? Seems like every floor I've seen eventually gets them...
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Depends upon how the foundation was prepared and concrete was mixed, installed and allowed to cure. There are many different kinds of cracks from "hairline" to "settling". The epoxy will cover the former but not the latter.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

You sure you want to breathe all the vapors from the epoxy job?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had this floor down for 6 plus years with no issues. It was done by a company that specializes in this type of floor. It wasn't cheap; I think about $3 per square foot but it has held up well.
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.

A few things....

I guess I don't really need to epoxy the floor if I am going with a wall-to-wall look with tiles. There is a small work are a few inches off the ground which is also concrete and I think some Epoxy on that area might be just the ticket to cleaning up the look. I also figured for those areas that may not be tiled, it would look nicer. As for the cost, a one car spot worth of the Rustoleum Epoxy kit is only about 60 bucks and the labor is free (i.e. me).

NYCA, I saw those orange tiles at both Home Depot and Racedeck,....I am considering it as well!

Colm you are correct about the initial prep work. Griot's recommends etching with muriatic acid (i.e. hydrochloric acid) before using their garage paint. I would imagine a similar prep before an epoxy would be wothwhile.

Toomey, is that the Allure tile in your garage or Epoxy?

And Tim, despite my wife and mother telling me that I should just pay someone to do this,....I just want to try and do it myself! As I said to them, 'what's the worst that could happen? I just pay someone to clean up my disaster.'
Old 03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Dave it is not tile. It is some sort of three step process. Base, chips & top coat.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:17 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

No experience with Allure, but very happy with my Race Deck floor. I've had many years experience with the Air Force, and I have never seen any painted/troweled/sprayed coating on concrete that didn't eventually lift and flake off.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Toomey, is that flloor installed by Premier Garage ?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

No but I think their process is the same.

Quick Reply: Allure Garage Flooring