Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Low voltage can do this. I had the same issue last January at the dealership! Lol!

It happened when the service manager was ddriving the car into the service area. They checked everything and low voltage was their answer. Which made sense since I had the car in the garage for 3 weeks with very low temperatures.

Since then I bought a trickle charger and haven't had another incident.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kouzman
Low voltage can do this. I had the same issue last January at the dealership! Lol!

It happened when the service manager was ddriving the car into the service area. They checked everything and low voltage was their answer. Which made sense since I had the car in the garage for 3 weeks with very low temperatures.

Since then I bought a trickle charger and haven't had another incident.
I will be most pleased if it turns out thats all it was. My 20 year old son has the car out on a date right now, so it will get a real life test on the PDK. The low voltage sensitivity is probably why the car came with the Porsche trickle charger. I put it to use on our Garage Queen (964) along with the beautiful silver cover that was in the frunk.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I had this issue sporadically with my '09 C2 when I bought it about two years ago. It would always clear on a restart. Leith Porsche in Cary, NC claimed they'd never heard of such a thing, that there was no code thrown and they couldn't duplicate it. A cursory Google search showed that this is a fairly common problem, so it was clear that they were either retarded or full of it--most likely both.

With my car, the fault occurred rarely, but probably eight or ten times over a period of six months. My car is a daily driver so I found the idea of low voltage to be an unlikely culprit. After some time, more electrical gremlins appeared and after some good advice from posters here, I replaced the battery. The fault hasn't occurred since I replaced the battery and the other random gremlins have decreased in frequency--not stopped, just decreased.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
I had this issue sporadically with my '09 C2 when I bought it about two years ago. It would always clear on a restart. Leith Porsche in Cary, NC claimed they'd never heard of such a thing, that there was no code thrown and they couldn't duplicate it. A cursory Google search showed that this is a fairly common problem, so it was clear that they were either retarded or full of it--most likely both.

With my car, the fault occurred rarely, but probably eight or ten times over a period of six months. My car is a daily driver so I found the idea of low voltage to be an unlikely culprit. After some time, more electrical gremlins appeared and after some good advice from posters here, I replaced the battery. The fault hasn't occurred since I replaced the battery and the other random gremlins have decreased in frequency--not stopped, just decreased.
That is much the same as our situation. The car is my wifes daily driver, but she only goes about 10 miles to work and she puts the top down everywhere she goes. She always runs the engine when doing that, but between blaring the Bose Stereo, running the top up and dwn and only driving 10 miles. I think the low voltage is certainly a possibilty. The car got a new battery about 20 months ago, but it was in a car collection and didnt get driven much. 4000 miles in 4 years. Thats tough on any battery. The car has been back out on the road about 5 times now and no more alerts.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 262 Posts

These car are very electrical dependent. I was having the same problem a year ago. I changed the battery to a Walmart H7, with more cranking amps and problem solved!!! No more Emergency Transmission Run lights.....
Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Was at the track in Buttonwillow and I got the dreaded "Transmission Emergency Run" error along with the CEL light with my 2010 CS PDKicon. I thought it was because the PDK was overheating but it was only about 65 outside (I was running the car in Sport and Sport Plus mode for four 20-minute sessions before I got the light. The car shifts through every gear but when it shifts up it feels like it cuts gas and bogs down for a few seconds before the car begins to accelerates in the higher gear. I went to the grocery store and noticed that the car was shifting fine with the CEL light but then the I got the transmission emergency run light and the shifts started getting crappy again. I figure this thing has to be a software related issue. I have the car flashed with EVOMS software and I'll flash it back to the OEM flash before I take it to the dealer.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:06 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Was at the track in Buttonwillow and I got the dreaded "Transmission Emergency Run" error along with the CEL light with my 2010 CS PDKicon. I thought it was because the PDK was overheating but it was only about 65 outside (I was running the car in Sport and Sport Plus mode for four 20-minute sessions before I got the light. The car shifts through every gear but when it shifts up it feels like it cuts gas and bogs down for a few seconds before the car begins to accelerates in the higher gear. I went to the grocery store and noticed that the car was shifting fine with the CEL light but then the I got the transmission emergency run light and the shifts started getting crappy again. I figure this thing has to be a software related issue. I have the car flashed with EVOMS software and I'll flash it back to the OEM flash before I take it to the dealer.
I had my first "Emergency Run" warning at Buttonwillow in May too about 3 years ago. Actually it was in Bakersfield as I was headed out to the track in the morning. Turned car off and on and everything was fine and I ran the track the next two days without issue. Fast forward to about 1 month ago when I got the warning again; could clear it with the off/on sequence but it would return after a short drive. Read the codes and had the temp sensor issue. Replacement of temp sensor was covered by warranty (I had 2 days of warranty remaining!) and so far no errors/warnings/codes. Just back from Thunderhill and ran w/o issue. Mine is a 2010 as well. Mechanically I think the PDK is robust, but we do seem to be seeing some software and electrical issues crop up more on the ver 1 units these days but still only a small fraction of total units produced.

Additional details/comments on this thread, in addition to "Emergency Run" stuff ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...k-failure.html
Old 05-16-2019, 04:05 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Kicking life to this old thread as also reported in the PDK failure posts earlier.

Drove around and minded my own business when I hear a sound, which I though came from the front right side of the car. I first thought it was a small stone hitting the inside of the wheel arch or a spring being released hitting a non metal part.
Anyway, drove on as usual and a few minutes later I had to brake and the sound came back. I'd say 20-60 seconds later the warning lights came on, the yellow engine warning blinking and the red ! came on as well as the message: "Transmission Emergency Run"

Pulled into the side as the car seemed to be running rough (engine still spinning sweetly as always) and the gear shifting was extremely sluggish (I guess this is what Transmission Emergency Run is defined as as). Decided to drive home (3-4 miles) and parked the car in my basement.

So, reading through the posts here, no one mentioned anything about pre sounds from the car and/or rough driving and sluggish gear changes so maybe this is more than just a snesor or low voltage (I just changed the battery a few weeks ago so cannot be a voltage issue).

Anyone else with actual similar experiences?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:09 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't have any noises when this happened on my 2010 911 two years ago. I received several occurrences of the car going into limp-home mode Emergency Run and Visit Workshop while in the middle of a roadtrip. I was able to reset it by shutting the car down and restarting it, eventually it would take a few tries to reset it. Fortunately, I was able to complete the 600+ mile trip without running in limp-home mode. The following week the dealer identified a bad coil pack was causing a misfire that made the PDK think it had a problem. Replaced all 6 coil packs (and spark plugs). More than 6K miles later and the problem has not returned.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Yep, failing coil packs will throw a PDK fault message and the car will run way down on power and not want to shift gears much. Replace coil packs, about $45 each from online OEM Porsche parts dealers. Be sure to buy from a dealer who sells a lot of inventory because the part number of the coil packs have changed a few times since the 9A1 engines came out and you'll want the latest version.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 AM
Frank996

Thanks @MarkinMD and @okie981 for your replies. Maybe the "noise" I heard in deed was coincidental and a bad coil pack is what I'm crossing my fingers for is causing this. Maybe best to get someone to come and pick up the car and bring it to my OPC.

No Sunday driving for me this weekend and just as the mountain roads are staring to open up :-(
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,011 Likes on 719 Posts

The failure of the PDK on my -09 C4S was advertised in advance by two events with the Transmission emergency run light coming on. No funny noises and did not go into limp mode either. Just the light. Cleared itself by shutting the engine down and then restarting. Those were the first two events about a month apart as I recall it. The third time though (about a month later) the light came on and the car wouldn't move. It also didn't clear itself after 3 or 4 attempts. I lucked out since this happened backing out of my garage. Flatbed to the dealer where the verdict was full replacement.

Had another situation the day after I had the 60,000 mile PDK service done on my current GTS. The Transmission emergency run light came on and the car went into limp mode. Would not clear with a number of reset attempts. So flatbed to the dealer again. Never got a good explanation as to what the problem was. No doubt in my mind it had something to do with the service done the day before. Btw....no funny noises on this either.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Frank996

Quick Update: Called my OPC in Bern and was advised to have the car brought over on a flatbed and as a precaution not to drive the car any further. Have Porsche Assistance so 15 min they came and picked up the car and drove off to Bern.

So, as i got a paddle shifter steering wheel from #Suncoast delivered yesterday I put this in the frunk to have it fitted in the same go and decided to just quickly start up the car to check the error message again, and this time it was no longer there. The towing guy started the car and asked if we could drive it out the garage to the have it on the towing truck. No issues what so ever and drove as usual.

Now waiting for my OPC to get back with some answers on what happened. I'm glad that it seems like the PDK is OK and hopefully just a sensor (or software) malfunctioning somewhere in the process as most of you have stated in here.
Most of all the Porsche Assistant was top notch and is valid all over Europe. I was asked multiple of times if I needed a replacement car which I declined :-)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

If I lived in a warm state I would have second thoughts about buying a PDK. That seems to be where all the problems come from. heat. Of course, that may simply be the result of warm climate states having most of the Porsches. I know the shop I take my 997 to adds extra cooling to the PDK cars that are used in competition. The electronics are sensitive to high heat.

Last edited by Balr14; 05-18-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,011 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
If I lived in a warm state I would have second thoughts about buying a PDK. That seems to be where all the problems come from. heat. Of course, that may simply be the result of warm climate states having most of the Porsches. I know the shop I take my 997 to adds extra cooling to the PDK cars that are used in competition. The electronics are sensitive to high
New one, at least to me but I wouldn't argue against it having had two PDK instances requiring flatbed to the dealer, one ending up with a full PDK replacement. Both Florida cars. So now we have the cold climate bore scoring discussion and the warm climate PDK suggestion.

Quick Reply: PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"