Sponsored by:

PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"

Got a new 2009 911 C2S CAB a few weeks ago and Saturday I pulled it out of the garage to wash it for the first time. I backed it out 25 feet onto the flat driveway, then went to pull forward a little, when the transmission would not engage into any gear and the message, "Transmission Fault", then "Transmission emergency run" read on the gauge screen. I turned the ignition off, then back on and it was fine, drove it 30 miles later that day, no problem. It was driven about 40 miles the day before the incident, with no problem. The car has just over 400 miles on it.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. The Porsche manual says to have the fault repaired immediately. I called the dealer and we concluded that since I turned the ignition off then back on and it worked okay, the car is fine.

Those of us with PDK's need to keep an eye on this. It would really stink to plan and take a nice top down road trip in a new 911, just to come home early in a rental car.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like the Cayenne gremlin found it's way into the new 911.

I wouln't worry about it. I have my Cayenne warn me that my emergy break was on about 3 times in 4 years. The emergy break hasn't even ever been used and wasn't on.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Got a new 2009 911 C2S CAB a few weeks ago and Saturday I pulled it out of the garage to wash it for the first time. I backed it out 25 feet onto the flat driveway, then went to pull forward a little, when the transmission would not engage into any gear and the message, "Transmission Fault", then "Transmission emergency run" read on the gauge screen. I turned the ignition off, then back on and it was fine, drove it 30 miles later that day, no problem. It was driven about 40 miles the day before the incident, with no problem. The car has just over 400 miles on it.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. The Porsche manual says to have the fault repaired immediately. I called the dealer and we concluded that since I turned the ignition off then back on and it worked okay, the car is fine.

Those of us with PDK's need to keep an eye on this. It would really stink to plan and take a nice top down road trip in a new 911, just to come home early in a rental car.

Todd- we had a few PDK cars show this this past winter. I just spoke to Ben one of our tech's as to what the issue was (after your post reminded me of the issue) he said it was "low voltage. the new cars are veryyyy sensitive to lower voltages. He just let the car run, turned it off. Started it up and it went away. Putting the car on the battery tender overnight cleared up the faults."

Hope that helps mang.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Thanks, great info for all. I have the battery tender, but since I drove it 40 miles the day before I didn't use it.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I suspect Bill Gates has something to do with this. Do a hard reboot and continue!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I suspect Bill Gates has something to do with this. Do a hard reboot and continue!
I hope not!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
amandhi
1st Gear

Default Am not impressed with faults of pdk gearbox in 2009 boxster

I just bought a 2009 boxster brand-new last week, and it broke down miserably on me last night.

With only about 100 miles on the clock, driving along and the 'emergency transmission run' light came on. Pulled over and realised the car wouldn't reverse. Called Porsche Assistance, who sent RAC - he drove it around the block a few times and it seemed fine. He then sent me off and said, don't worry, you're fine to drive it now.

I drove it 2 mins down the round, and the same light came on. And a few moments later, the gearshift completely failed - leaving me stranded in the road. Great!

Apparently, the tow-truck guy said the last boxster he picked up had gear problems as well.

If I'd known before - wouldn't have touched the new pdk, sounds like they haven't got it quite right yet.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by amandhi
I just bought a 2009 boxster brand-new last week, and it broke down miserably on me last night.

With only about 100 miles on the clock, driving along and the 'emergency transmission run' light came on. Pulled over and realised the car wouldn't reverse. Called Porsche Assistance, who sent RAC - he drove it around the block a few times and it seemed fine. He then sent me off and said, don't worry, you're fine to drive it now.

I drove it 2 mins down the round, and the same light came on. And a few moments later, the gearshift completely failed - leaving me stranded in the road. Great!

Apparently, the tow-truck guy said the last boxster he picked up had gear problems as well.

If I'd known before - wouldn't have touched the new pdk, sounds like they haven't got it quite right yet.
Mine did the same. It took the techs a few days to diagnose, but the DME control module was determined to be bad and was replaced. No issues since, but I'm keeping my eye out for HPFP issues as my car is an early build and others have been reporting problems recently. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...997-2-pdk.html
Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

I'm convinced it's a low voltage issue for most. I had the "transmissin fault" only once when I first got my new PDK car from the dealer. At the dealer the cars sit out with very little driving if any. Since using the battery tender I have not had any issues in 4 months. I would suspect it's more likely new owners are having "transmission faults" early on. After driving their cars, or using the battery tender, voltage becomes a non-issue.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I'm convinced it's a low voltage issue for most. I had the "transmissin fault" only once when I first got my new PDK car from the dealer. At the dealer the cars sit out with very little driving if any. Since using the battery tender I have not had any issues in 4 months. I would suspect it's more likely new owners are having "transmission faults" early on. After driving their cars, or using the battery tender, voltage becomes a non-issue.
But... once the engine starts, shouldn't the alternator maintain proper voltage and supply the required current?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But... once the engine starts, shouldn't the alternator maintain proper voltage and supply the required current?
I don't think so. It must take driving at speed for a while to do this. I had the same issue with my last BMW using it only for short occasional trips. Now I use one of those CTEK battery maintainers (same as Porsche just no logo and way less $$$) full time.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 AM
markvjarvis
1st Gear

Default Me too.... Emergency Transmission Run

So I have a 6 week old Boxster 500miles on the clock and this fault came on last night. I called Porsche assistance and RAC towed it away today - the guy on the tow truck said this is my 6th Boxster PDK this week...... anyone wanna buy a 2nd hand Boxster !!!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by markvjarvis
So I have a 6 week old Boxster 500miles on the clock and this fault came on last night. I called Porsche assistance and RAC towed it away today - the guy on the tow truck said this is my 6th Boxster PDK this week...... anyone wanna buy a 2nd hand Boxster !!!
How's your battery?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I had it once, Dave (Coochas) was in the car in fact. Restarted the car and it it was gone. Has not reappeared in 4,000 miles.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

i had it once, rat damage three wiring harnesses replaced works fine...

welcome to malibu rat countreee

Quick Reply: PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"