Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys must be having bad luck. I drove cross-country to CA with no issues other than a CEL for evaporative loss (loose gas cap). PDK worked like a champ - mostly normal auto on the highway, but sport manual everywhere else. I even used Sport Plus manual on the track at Laguna Seca. Good luck guys - thank you for putting out this info. I just hope it doesn't happen to my PDK!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
mrwplay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I borrowed a Porsche Cayman 2.9 2009 model with PDK last weekend. Sunday morning I started it up and drove about 200 yards at about 20 miles an hour and noticed the "Transmission Emergency Run" error message on dash. The engine seemed to have little power. I had to pull over and turn off engine. Restarting cleared the message immediately and car seemed perfectly normal thereafter. I mentioned to the Porsche dealer who admitted he had heard of the message on one of the Sales Manager's cars. He said they had run diagnostics but hadn't found anything wrong. I was thinking of getting a Cayman with PDK but am a bit nervous that PDK might have some bugs - has anyone else seen this sort of thing ?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrwplay
I was thinking of getting a Cayman with PDK but am a bit nervous that PDK might have some bugs - has anyone else seen this sort of thing ?
No, no we have not...hence the lack of ten thousand "My PDK Sucks" posts.

PDK is the best transmission in the world. Buy the car. Enjoy. Be happy. No need for panic...

This thread is old, and tired. Let it go back to sleep. sleep. sleep .
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Threads like this are reposted on other forums as 'examples' that PDK and DFI are defective. That's how public opinion is formed in the Internet age.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
No, no we have not...hence the lack of ten thousand "My PDK Sucks" posts.

PDK is the best transmission in the world. Buy the car. Enjoy. Be happy. No need for panic...

This thread is old, and tired. Let it go back to sleep. sleep. sleep .
lol. Agree completely.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2009 cS and have had 2 emergency run warnings. one as described above where the car had to be restarted to get in gear,ran fine after, and one at startup (restart resolved it). i called the dealer where i bought it and they claimed low voltage since the car sat on the lot for three months rec. battery tender. i called dealer and got appt for tuesday but the anxiety is killing me. car has 22000 miles so i am hoping the previous owner didnt do something to void the warranty (record of 5 services). havent seen any current posts with this problem. any words of wisdom for 1st time buyer besides should have bought CPO?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
cuttysark
7th Gear

Default Transmission Emergency Run

We just picked up a beautiful 2009 C2S PDK - CPO - from the dealer in Long Beach and drove it home to Houston, TX. It was a fantastic 3 day drive, but we picked up some dirt and dust along the way. The day after we got home my wife backed the car out of the garage so we could wash it. The "Transmission Emergency Run" light came on and the car would not come out of reverse. We shut off the engine and on re-start, the light was gone and the car went into gear normally. After washing, the light came on again and the car wouldn't drive. Turn off and back on, and it works normally. I called the road service number and was told not to drive the car. Porsche sent a truck and picked up the car to deliver it to my dealer of choice. The dealer says all the codes are low voltage. I am thinking that three 8 hour days of driving should charge the battery. No sign of low voltage from the instrument on the dash and the car started normally. After review with Porsche in Atlanta, they have decided to upgrade the software on the PDK.
Can't wait to get it back. Will report on how it responds.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Originally Posted by cuttysark
We just picked up a beautiful 2009 C2S PDK - CPO - from the dealer in Long Beach and drove it home to Houston, TX. It was a fantastic 3 day drive, but we picked up some dirt and dust along the way. The day after we got home my wife backed the car out of the garage so we could wash it. The "Transmission Emergency Run" light came on and the car would not come out of reverse. We shut off the engine and on re-start, the light was gone and the car went into gear normally. After washing, the light came on again and the car wouldn't drive. Turn off and back on, and it works normally. I called the road service number and was told not to drive the car. Porsche sent a truck and picked up the car to deliver it to my dealer of choice. The dealer says all the codes are low voltage. I am thinking that three 8 hour days of driving should charge the battery. No sign of low voltage from the instrument on the dash and the car started normally. After review with Porsche in Atlanta, they have decided to upgrade the software on the PDK.
Can't wait to get it back. Will report on how it responds.
My 09 PDK did the exact same thing right down to backing" out of the garage to wash" when the fault came on, and I drove back from GA. A trip to the dealer and a Battery tender and I have not seen it since. The car sat on the dealers lot for approx. 3 months prior to purchase. I cant believe these cars dont stay charged while for sale considerinng the importance of maintaining an electrical connection. i.e. dont disconnect your battery for the winter but instead find a storage location (if thats how you roll) with an outlet or a light bulb. Please dont forget to report back.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
cuttysark
7th Gear

Talking

The Dealer updated the software for the PDK and did "extensive testing" as required with the upgrade. The car had no problem for a couple of days driving. We let it sit for two days with no external charger. It had no problem on start up and no problem during another week of daily driving. So far it looks like the upgrade has eliminated the low voltage issue. It has at least eliminated the dreaded "Transmission Emergency Run" error message - so life is good.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:15 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

The Dealer updated the software for the PDK and did "extensive testing" as required with the upgrade. The car had no problem for a couple of days driving. We let it sit for two days with no external charger. It had no problem on start up and no problem during another week of daily driving. So far it looks like the upgrade has eliminated the low voltage issue. It has at least eliminated the dreaded "Transmission Emergency Run" error message - so life is good.
Thanks for sharing. I asked my dealer the other day if there's such a thing as a software update for the PDK since I'm having a minor nuisance issue with it. The answer was no.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by todd.
Got a new 2009 911 C2S CAB a few weeks ago and Saturday I pulled it out of the garage to wash it for the first time. I backed it out 25 feet onto the flat driveway, then went to pull forward a little, when the transmission would not engage into any gear and the message, "Transmission Fault", then "Transmission emergency run" read on the gauge screen. I turned the ignition off, then back on and it was fine, drove it 30 miles later that day, no problem. It was driven about 40 miles the day before the incident, with no problem. The car has just over 400 miles on it.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. The Porsche manual says to have the fault repaired immediately. I called the dealer and we concluded that since I turned the ignition off then back on and it worked okay, the car is fine.

Those of us with PDK's need to keep an eye on this. It would really stink to plan and take a nice top down road trip in a new 911, just to come home early in a rental car.
Yes. Just had it a few weeks ago. Dont ignore it. It comes back and it will continue to re-occur ever so often. Its something to do with a fault code. They had it hookced up to computers and fixed it somehow. I tried to ignore but at times, the car almost didnt start. The dealer will know the issue.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Thanks for updating.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:10 PM
mipblue
1st Gear

Does anyone know the approximate cost for the dealer to do the "PDK software upgrade"?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

It was no charge for me but was at the time of the annual service
Old 08-04-2014, 04:15 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Default Just experienced emergency run transmission light

We just bought a Aqua Marine Blue early 2009 CS 997.2 Cab with 4000 miles on it. We are up to 6500 miles and my wife backed out of garage and got the error code this morning. I sent her on to work in my Cayenne and came in and read the Rennlist blogs. I went out in the garage, disconnected the battery and put a charge on it. Dumb *** me, shut the frunk with no battery in the car! Now I am an expert on opening the frunk with jumper cables. I got the battery re hooked up and fired up the car. I took the car out and drove it like I stole it for 30 minutes with no error codes. Hopefully that cured it.
We are planning to add the Sport Mode software and buttons real soon at the dealer so we will ask for all available software updates then.
Thanks to everyone for all the useful information! Glad I bought that extended warranty! Id be a nervious wreck right now if I hadnt.

Quick Reply: PDK "Transmission Fault" "Transmission emergency run"