Sponsored by:

Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I owned 6 speed Vettes and Boxster S before. The only reason I could see someone buying a 6 speed over the PDK is:
* you still want to work on heel and toe technique
* you are into the nostalgia of a manual tranny
* you can not afford the $4000 PDK option
* not an early adopter of new, complex technology
* find manual more involving (may be classified under nostalgia or not)

I liked the PDK on my test drive, but I did find that it made it a bit 'remote' for me.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PDK is definitely awesome; however, not as involved as the manual transmission and thus, to me, not as enjoyable.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey MDRUMS

would you get the pdk if you still could drive the 6 speed? i will get a pdk someday as my DD..but wont give up the 6 speed for fun at the track...even if pdk is faster (i drove one and liked it) IMHO there is a more fun factor in shifting, even on the road..but that is why they make both, we all like what we like....+1 to the 2 above comments...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you read the 2009 Carrera article in Excellence? The highest percentage of space was dedicated to the PDK transmission - which is saying a lot because there's a bunch of new stuff in the car (DFI engine, Gen 2 PASM, ABS, PSM, etc., the new Sport PASM suspension, etc.). And in the very end they found that while the PDK is an excellent transmission and can be quicker than the manual, they would still buy the car with the "old school" manual.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I am also in the market for a new Carrera and have been looking at PDK exclusively. I have had Tiptronics before, manuals, and currently drive a manual Vette.

The performance advantage of the PDK really does not sway my decision. I am not doing hot laps and, if I was going to resume that part of my life, the second or two difference is not that important. The reasons why PDK is of interest to me is dealing with traffic in the Metro NY area and wanting my wife to enjoy the fun of these great cars. She refuses to recognize more than two pedals.

After testing a few PDKs, I took our 3 Series BMW with paddle shifters for a spin and used the paddles for the 1st time. I know the Steptronic system is not the dual clutch..yada yada system, but it works nicely and then I thought if I need a PDK since we have the Bimmer.

I agree with the OP, this decision is not easy to go PDK. I think I will miss rowing and I am still on the fence. I might just keep the Vette and buy a PDK.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Having driven stick for 50 years and always stick in sports cars, I really festered over getting PDK in my '09 Carrera S. I had driven a Tiptronic Cayman S several years ago and did not like it, the transmission was boring. My dealer convinced me to order the PDK ( I had test driven several briefly) Well after 2000 miles (YEA the break-in is over) and two months I am sold. It is everything they say and more. Comfortable in city driving, very economical on the highway and in the manual mode no matter if you shift via the paddles or bump shift the shift lever WOW. All the control you want and much faster than a manual. If I had it to do over, would I pick the six speed over the PDK NO WAY. That said, it is only fair to say that I autocross and about to DE my '83 SC with the 915 transmission so I still know how to and enjoy rowing. PDK is the future enjoy it.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Recent Car & Driver views on PDK vs Manual

Reading the recent Roundel magazine which makes reference to the February issue of Car & Driver. Forget the ratings and that the M3 was rated higher than the PDK Carrera which are interesting but not relevent. The magazine's conclusion regarding the M3 with DCT (PDK equiv) was as follows: "It may even be the world's second-best car - after the M3 manual."
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I drove around my wife's tiptronic for a few days. I found it a chore to use it in manual mode and basically now I press the psm off button and I let it do the shifting.

With the 6 speed you have no choice but to shift the car, it's no chore and I love being able to downshift and rev match.
With PDK you have the choice of Manual or Auto and when it comes down to it, is it as engaging as manual? Do you feel as connected to the car as with the 6 speed? Do most PDK owners drive in M or A mode? and did you first start out in manual then slowly slip into letting it take control?
I would try to run it in manual every time that I drive it but I think once it wears off, out of ease and laziness I would end up giving up the control and would end up thinking it was more of a chore to drive it in manual.

While driving the tiptronic it was like I was totally not connected. If I wanted to drop 2 gears, the computer was like a slow nitwit and would take to long and more ofter then not either drop 3 gears or only 1 gear and then I would have to correct it. 5 seconds later you might be in the right gear.

I know PDK is not like it's slow nit witted predecessor but if it's easier to just let the computer shift for then what really is the use of having a sports car that your to lazy to command.

I am left still wondering PDK or 6 Speed?? Very tough decision.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I am left still wondering PDK or 6 Speed?? Very tough decision.
Agree, very tough decision.

I had a tip 993 before and I mainly drive it using the thumb control.

With the Cayenne I never shift myself as it is not a sport car, and the press button at the steering wheel is not ideal position for my thumb.

In an ideal world there will be a both 6 speed manual and a PDK 911 in the garage. I'm waiting to add a PDK GT3 to my collection.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
jackolo
Advanced

I love the PDK itself. It's so wonderfully easy to use whether doing some spirited driving or just casual day to day travels... but if I wasn't sharing my vehicle, I would certainly go back to 6speed. I didn't miss a traditional manual transmission at first but after getting a chance to drive a few of my friend's cars, the nostalgia came back and I knew I would be happier with the old technology instead.

But yeah... I'd only go back to 6speed as a fun factor. I can very well live with my PDK.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
... In an ideal world there will be a both 6 speed manual and a PDK 911 in the garage. I'm waiting to add a PDK GT3 to my collection.
I miss the logic. You have doubts about a 2-pedal solution... and if ordering a GT3 (of all 911 models) you would order it w/ PDK?

The choice here is a 2-pedal solution vs a 3-pedal solution. Do you want to use a clutch and rev match or not? Other than that the PDK wins, because it will shift better than any human can manually.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a number of these posts have summed up the issue we are wrestling with....PDK seems to be the best "technical" solution and is the easiest for city driving, but is it as much fun? I guess we need to define what "fun" really means and how we (I mean my wife) want to enjoy the car. If speed and absolute performance are "fun," then the PDK wins. If feeling more "connected with the car" is more important, maybe the 6 speed is the answer. In any event, it does appear either way we go will be a good decision.

I appreciate all the comments/insight--but I am not sure it has made our decision any easier. Thankfully, if choose to go with the PDK, the 993 6 speed will still be in the garage
Old 03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
...Thankfully, if choose to go with the PDK, the 993 6 speed will still be in the garage
There you go lucky guy... you have it both ways.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I have high praises also for the PDK based on my test-drive experiences, but I can only see it as the transmission of choice in a second P-car -- for me. The ideal solution is to have one of each, and that's the only way I'd go. If faced with having only one P-car, I'd always prefer the old-fashioned manual.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
hey MDRUMS

would you get the pdk if you still could drive the 6 speed? i will get a pdk someday as my DD..but wont give up the 6 speed for fun at the track...even if pdk is faster (i drove one and liked it) IMHO there is a more fun factor in shifting, even on the road..but that is why they make both, we all like what we like....+1 to the 2 above comments...
Mike, that is a good question. Having owned manuals before my ordeal I might still go with PDK especially after living with PDK now for 6 months. It is bthe best of both worlds. However I would still consider the 6 speed manual because I might want to still work on hell and toe and I might want to spend the $4k on something else.
It is a hard decesion for those physically able to shift a manual...like I said earlier either you like to adopt to the leastest technology or you are into nostaliga...again hard decesion.

see you April 18th...take you for a ride and let you check out PDK.

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?