Sponsored by:

Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I agree with that, let my next car be totally user set. This is not beyond our technology. I want to set the diff, I want to set the gear ratios and I need to set the awd and awe sensors and I want to pogram what rpm the car shifts at and be able to select the program that I've saved and it will run when I feel like it.
Unfortunately I think Subaru will come out with something like I want before any German car manufacturer does.
Seriously, isn't that what a six-speed manual can already do?

I am not advocating that everyone needs or should want a PDK. I an just saying that the PDK works well for me more frequently than my six-speed manual on my 07 C2S did given my driving situations most frequently encountered.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Seriously, isn't that what a six-speed manual can already do?
yes some of it. but its still is not total control.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I'm not getting PDK at all.

And I'm not getting a new car either.

And why would the performance of a PDK car be locked up, unavailable to anyone who shells out the $4k for it - as if that wasn't enough already for an automatic - unless they also shell out a little more for the stopwatch on the dash?

It sounds like Porsche has a huge warehouse full of these stopwatches that they've been trying to unload for the past 4 yrs and they haven't yet put a dent in the stockpile, so they're forcing everyone who buys a PDK - damnit - to also buy one of their fine watches, or else they'll make the car run like a POS.
Just don't start believing your own BS.

When you get around to considering your next car, by any measure of objectivity, you will thoroughly investigate the PDK option.

I love the PDK and I am a hard core manual guy. I even dislike the Ferrari F1 transmission.

The choice is not as "automatic" as it used to be.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I'm not getting PDK at all.

And I'm not getting a new car either.

And why would the performance of a PDK car be locked up, unavailable to anyone who shells out the $4k for it - as if that wasn't enough already for an automatic - unless they also shell out a little more for the stopwatch on the dash?

It sounds like Porsche has a huge warehouse full of these stopwatches that they've been trying to unload for the past 4 yrs and they haven't yet put a dent in the stockpile, so they're forcing everyone who buys a PDK - damnit - to also buy one of their fine watches, or else they'll make the car run like a POS.
OCBen I am just telling you the fact. I like the performance of the PDK. It is a godsend and perfect for me for those that know me know why I say this.

On the other hand I do not go around and talk bad about the 6speed manual. There are customers that will buy both and they have very good reasons for there selection of transmission.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes some of it. but its still is not total control.

If total control is what you want then stick your feet through a hole in the floor board and pedal your way home.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

ooh, here comes the infantry. lucky for us we have many of you stupid ....s.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:07 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Just don't start believing your own BS.
What part you calling BS?

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
When you get around to considering your next car, by any measure of objectivity, you will thoroughly investigate the PDK option.
Sounds like you're doing a drive-by post here and not bothering to read my previous posts in this thread. Makes you look worse than your avatar.

I said I took one for a test drive, considered it for my next 911, and confirmed that I would never get it on my next 911, as I only drive my Porsche on weekends just for the fun of driving. With three cars to drive, I average about 1500 miles per year on my 911. And when I drive my 911 so infrequently I look forward to shifting that crisp-shifting short shifter. I don't see that ever changing.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
If total control is what you want then stick your feet through a hole in the floor board and pedal your way home.
Hey Boo, long time no see.

That's some funny stuff there, the Flintstones take.

That's one way of going total green.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:31 AM
boolala
Race Car

Hi, Ben, we've (I've) missed you. I know that you've been in and out of RL lately.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

I agree with that, let my next car be totally user set. This is not beyond our technology. I want to set the diff, I want to set the gear ratios and I need to set the awd and awe sensors and I want to pogram what rpm the car shifts at and be able to select the program that I've saved and it will run when I feel like it.
Unfortunately I think Subaru will come out with something like I want before any German car manufacturer does.
While having complete control of every parameter at your fingertips sounds good, the problem is the way that these things work together.

It takes serious set up engineering to get all these systems to work togeher to make a good setup.

Most people woud just make a dog's breakfast of mismatched tweaks.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MikeBat
While having complete control of every parameter at your fingertips sounds good, the problem is the way that these things work together.

It takes serious set up engineering to get all these systems to work togeher to make a good setup.

Most people woud just make a dog's breakfast of mismatched tweaks.
That is why you would get your car pre-configured with default setups. The ones we run now that are hard coded we can't modify. Being able to switch and reset back to the default is something that is easy to program. Also setting limitiations on the amount of ability that each setting parameter has is also a way of preventing issues that could cause the setup to be unsafe.

It's like the sport button, except you have many saved setups to select. Default setups or user saved ones.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
I think a number of these posts have summed up the issue we are wrestling with....PDK seems to be the best "technical" solution and is the easiest for city driving, but is it as much fun? I guess we need to define what "fun" really means and how we (I mean my wife) want to enjoy the car. If speed and absolute performance are "fun," then the PDK wins. If feeling more "connected with the car" is more important, maybe the 6 speed is the answer. In any event, it does appear either way we go will be a good decision.

I appreciate all the comments/insight--but I am not sure it has made our decision any easier. Thankfully, if choose to go with the PDK, the 993 6 speed will still be in the garage
i have a 993 6 speed
my wife had a Cayman S tip, now she has a Carrera S PDK.

PDK, definately not as "fun" or involving, but much better choice for daily drudgery commute and is pretty amazing when you are hammering
BUT
PDK kinda sucks just as you are noodling and are slowing down to a stop as tranny shifts to 1st.
Often times there are banging, clunking noises / vibrations going on that should not be.
Local dealer says there is no software rev as of yet to correct this and i'm pretty sure it IS SW, not HW.

cheers

Craig
Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Often times there are banging, clunking noises / vibrations going on that should not be.
What? I don't have any issues like that, my PDK runs perfectly, just wish I had Sport Chrono Package to liven things up in A.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Added appeal for PDK is when Porsche does away with (they have to....) the awkward push buttons on the steering wheel...not very involving, and just plain weird in 2009.
man
i don't see what all the fuss is over the PDK wheel "buttons".
Their use is very instinctive / natural to me.
push to a "higher" gear.
pull to a "lower" gear.
and they are easy to reach, comfortable to use.

one drawback = they do rotate with the wheel amking shifts during turns challenging, but then you always have the console stick too.

Who says everyone has to follow the italian "standard" for paddle lever methodology?
who wants to remember which paddle to pull to go up or down ?

cheers

Craig
Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove a Maserati a few yrs ago which had the Ferrari paddle shifter. Was very intuitive and not complicated to drive.

I drove the PDK today for the first time. In auto it was smooth and surprisingly good.

In manual I had to think every time "push or pull" whether I was usingthe stick or the rather silly buttons.

Personally I would prefer paddles. But I could live with the buttons ifit was pull for "up" and push for "down" just like one would expect in a sequential shifter. At least to me, on the track as you are braking hard with the momentum going forwards, if you have to be pulling or pushing things, its better to "push" and vice versa.

In manual mode it seemed to have a delay in shifting gears and was odd. Almost as if I had to predict where it would actually shift. Maybe this is lack of familiarity, or maybe I needed sport plus on, I dont know. OTOH inmanual, if I lifted as I changed gears if felt more normal.

Originally Posted by cgfen
man
i don't see what all the fuss is over the PDK wheel "buttons".
Their use is very instinctive / natural to me.
push to a "higher" gear.
pull to a "lower" gear.
and they are easy to reach, comfortable to use.

one drawback = they do rotate with the wheel amking shifts during turns challenging, but then you always have the console stick too.

Who says everyone has to follow the italian "standard" for paddle lever methodology?
who wants to remember which paddle to pull to go up or down ?

cheers

Craig

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?