Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Foglight=improper equipment ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Yes you do!

Light controls, click all the way to the R right and pull OUT!

The little light on the left side of the control means your rear fog is ON.

Go to the back side of the car; and it's the bright light on the drivers side tail light.

I ALWAYS point it out b/c you never know if a cop will pull you over. Can you say potential DUI?

I learned that the hard way wayyy back when I first started with Benz. We had a sales rep who forgot to point it out; guy got a DUI b/c they pulled him over due to his rear fog being on.

Poor bastard blew .001 over the limit. They fired the sales rep.
they shouldnt fire a sales rep cuz a customer drinks and drives :-/
Old 03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why his gun was confiscated if he has a permit.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

doesn't anyone read the owner's manual anymore??
Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
doesn't anyone read the owner's manual anymore??
Was there ever a point when they did?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
wait. i have a rear fog light? and i have a rear fog light switch?? where are these things???
Page 154 in the '07 manual.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
Page 154 in the '07 manual.
I DTFC while you're RTFM
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

I DTFC while you're RTFM
Touche!

However, since I don't have one to drive, I have to read about them.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by gota911
Touche!

However, since I don't have one to drive, I have to read about them.
yea i realized later on that was low... im sorry :-P
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

yea i realized later on that was low... im sorry :-P
No, don't worry about it. I loved my 996 and someday want to get a 997. I did not take you comment as a low blow at all. Absolutely no harm done. In fact, I thought it was great. The only thing better than reading about the 997 is driving one. However, given the choice of driving my Honda or reading about Porsches, I'll take up reading, thank you!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Speed
Pro

[QUOTE=Bob Rouleau;6377754]1) Was it foggy/rainy or was he doing as too many seem to do and running with his fogs on under clear conditions? Cops have given tickets for misuse of fog lights and frankly I wish they'd do more of it.

[QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It's like driving with your brights on when the conditions don't warrant use of the rear fog light. The worst offenders in my unscientific observations are Jaguars and Range Rovers. Don't these cars have separate controls for the front and rear fogs? Don't these people read their manuals?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If a rear fog light is provided on an automobile there is a separate control between turning on the front and also selecting the rear. Quite frankly, most Jag and Rover drivers probably have absolutely no clue what a rear fog light is much less why one would use one. We, as Porsche drivers, need to ensure that we know what all this stuff is and use it appropriately. Like I wrote earlier, in all my years I only truly needed a rear fog light once and that was early one morning in Holland, dashing off to catch a flight.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to make a few assumptions here..
1. If it was clear weather when he was pulled over, then the problem is he had the rear fog on when he should not have, thus the justified ticket. Plead ignorance that you didn't know you had a rear fog, that the light toggle was pulled out and now you know, so please forgive the ticket. If your guy knew he had the fogs on, like so many today that drive with fronts and now rears on all the time, then the ticket was probably justified and your guy learned the hard way.
2. If it was foggy / rainy, then he should have no problem beating the ticket. DOT approved fog lamps used properly...
3. The firearm / permit thing is a whole other matter. If the permit was valid and the carry was proper...

I personally can't stand it when you have people oncoming with fogs on 100% of the time, and now more and more the same with the rear fog. Perhaps law enforcement is starting to teach people how to properly drive once again. In NYC they recently made it illegal to blow the horn unless in an emergency because everyone was doing it all the time and when you needed it to mean something, it didn't. Perhaps similar thing with fogs (but very different I realize)...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Guys better check your blinker fluid. It runs low- A LOT!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AngM018
Hello everyone.

I am not sure if this is off-topic, but a customer of mine is in need. He was driving with the rear fog light on, and was pulled over. The officer (back country sheriff) gave him a ticket for improper equipment b/c of it.

I did some research, and could not find where the rear fog is required by law in Europe. Has anyone here had this issue before? Any idea on a good defense? He happened to be carrying a firearm (did have concealed permit), and they confiscated it. He is of course going to fight this whole situation so he can get his gun back, and have the ticket dropped. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

- John

Fog lights are a separate lighting system that should ONLY be used when FOG is present. If the lights were not used in the right conditions, then a citation for improper equipment usage, or whatever it may be called, is absolutely proper. Rear fog lights, which are usually a single bright light on the drivers side in most of Europe, are especially a problem because they are optically irritating, distracting, and can mislead thinking about 'is the car braking?'

The rules in Germany for the use of fogs are clear, but I don't remember the exact rules. There front fogs are to be used if the visibility is under 300m or something. Rear fogs are to be used ONLY if the visibility is under 50m or something similar.. much less visibility than front fogs.

Too many vehicles drive around with front fogs on as 'driving lights', which they are not. Rear fogs are too often turned on by ignorant or irresponsible drivers just in plain clear or rainy conditions, when rear fogs are never justified. Think about how hard the rain would have to fall to get visibility to 50m? Would any car be doing 60mph in those conditions? No, I think not.. I'd expect speeds to be way down. So someone cruising at interstate speeds with front and rear fogs on is just an idiot. I don't know if that was the case here.

But if the visibility was not extremely low, the person rightly deserves a ticket for driving with rear fogs.

Rear fogs usually (all cars I have ever driven: Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi) require a distinct and separate mechanical switch movement to turn them on. Either activating a special fog/rear fog switch, or a special mode of the light switch(frequently pulling OUT the light switch when the headlight-on position is reached). The rear fog on mode is always indicated by an additional indicator light. I don't see how they could be on unintentionally short of the driver not being aware of the controls of their own car.. and as captain of the ship, so to speak, you are required to know those settings.

As others have said, lighting on automobiles, as factory installed, are the domain of the DOT. If it came into the US as a standard import, its approved. State or local laws cannot fine you for the car having the equipment. They could fine you if local laws limit the use of such devices (such as fining you for driving through a residential street with your high-beams on, for example).

For the firearm - that is a separate issue. Did the person have a valid permit from the state in question (the permits are usually state permits)? If its a permit from a different state, then its a question of 'is that permit recognized by the state in which the firearm was confiscated? If he had a permit from the state in question - was he carrying the firearm as required by the laws of the state for the permit? For a 'concealed carry permit', its frequently NOT ok to carry the firearm in a way that is not concealed - that is, if its in a holster under your jacket as you walk down the road, you are fine. If its exposed on a belt holster that is not a valid form of carry. So if the firearm was lying exposed on the passengers seat, that may well not be a legal mode of carrying the firearm, permit or not, in the state in question.

So, to give a more applicable answer to both questions (rear fogs and firearms carry) we would need to know more information than has been supplied.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I for one, turn on the rear fog lights when I'm sitting in traffic. It hopefully makes the person behind me better aware of me (especially with today's cell phone distractions), and therefore will keep their distance.

Quick Reply: Rear Foglight=improper equipment ticket?