Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Foglight=improper equipment ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, do you also drive with your brights and front fogs on Have you ever been behind somebody with their rear fog on? If they can't see your 3 illuminated brake lights, there's no hope anyway.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interesting...having a CCW is a "get out of jail", in this case a "get out of ticket"

card. When you tell a police officer you have a CCW they usually assume its for a good reason and far more often than not they will not give you a ticket. At least thats the case in CA since they are so hard to obtain.
Something is fishy if they confiscated this guys gun and he had a permit for it.
abe

Originally Posted by AngM018
Hello everyone.

I am not sure if this is off-topic, but a customer of mine is in need. He was driving with the rear fog light on, and was pulled over. The officer (back country sheriff) gave him a ticket for improper equipment b/c of it.

I did some research, and could not find where the rear fog is required by law in Europe. Has anyone here had this issue before? Any idea on a good defense? He happened to be carrying a firearm (did have concealed permit), and they confiscated it. He is of course going to fight this whole situation so he can get his gun back, and have the ticket dropped. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

- John
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so he should have driven with his foglights off, rolled down the windows, and waved the gun like a madman so the gun wasn't concealed.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
AngM018
Instructor

I too get annoyed with people using the rear fog unwarranted. Every delivery I do, I let them know not to turn this light on unless it is foggy/raining. I don't know what he was thinking when he turned it on. As for the gun, we really just think the officer was giving him a hard time. As some of you said earlier in the post, leaving these lights on is just another way for police to pull you over, and investigate. Good thing he was not drinking, or waiving the gun around in the air!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you how many tards in my area with more money then common sense drive their Mercedes or Audi's with their rear fogs on in a clear night. It provides a lot of glare to traffic behind the car. Of course, they motor on without a clue or care in the world.

What are you going to do? I just pass. As the old saying goes, you can't fix stupid. I classify this kind of thing with the driver "regulating" the traffic speed on the highway by going 55 on the passing lane when there is nothing but clear lanes to his right.

Gone are the days of courteous, thoughtful and careful drivers. Sorry, I'll get of my soapbox and have my coffee now.

/end rant.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
vanderflier
Track Day

Coming from Europe mayby I can explain the European regulations. The front Fog lights may only be used in fowl whether conditions in combination with the parking lights or the dimmed headlights. They need to be automaticly turned off when using Highbeam. The rearfog light is a different story. It may only be switched on when visibility is less than 165ft. You are only allowed to have one rear foglight located on the drivers side to avoid misunderstandings with your breaklights. This is why the right rear light unit is not wired. So bottom line Front Fog lights when vissibility is diminished (no exact figure) and rear fog light visibility less as 165ft. That's why you can switch on your fog lights seperate on the front and the rear.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I always use mine in really bad rain, snow or fog. aka; I use it when I'm supposed to. And I think it's nifty.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I always use mine in really bad rain, snow or fog. aka; I use it when I'm supposed to. And I think it's nifty.
It you can't SEE the other guys' tail lights due to weather THEN you can use the rear fog. They are essentially a substitution for the rear tail lights when they just aren't bright enough. Otherwise, they are a big distraction.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. They are a rear FOG light, not a rear 'rain' light or a rear 'snow' light. Just because precipitation is coming down, is not a reason to use a rear fog light.

As was stated, if the visibility drops by a very large amount, to something like 150ft(50m), THEN you should turn on your rear fog. If visibility is more than that, even if it is raining DO NOT use your rear fog, because your regular tail lights are plenty enough in those situations.

If you use your rear fog in non-need conditions thinking you will prevent a rear-end into you, I think you are mistaken and may be making things worse for yourself. First off, someone not paying attention due to brain death (ie on the cell phone, digging in the glove box, feeding the baby in the back seat etc) will not see you no matter how bright your car is illuminated. For every other driver, they will be so distracted by your retna burning red light that they will have in increased probability of not noticing when you apply the breaks, since the rear fog is as bright as your breaks... and may thus rear-end you.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to be behind a car (usually an european car) with their rear fog lights on, and feel like my retinas are going to burn, or been distracted by them. I usually notice them on and think, cool, what kind of car is that? and be on my merry way. How about a car coming the other way during the day and having their headlights on (low) or one with daylight headlights which have a reduced power, aren't these distracting to you? That's their whole purpose. Now if everyone has them on during the day, their effects are diminished. OTOH, the word 'should' SHOULD be removed from your vocabulary. You use it too much.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
AngM018
Instructor

I use mine all the time in foul weather only. I even drove throught a hurricane once (was on beach time, didnt watch the news), and I had a 760 follow me for 1.5 hours. I finally stopped for gas, and he came up and thanked me for using the rear fog. I then realized we were in a hurricane about an hour later. I thought it was just a bad storm...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I use my rear fog in really bad weather. It says "**** off and stay away".

if you don't like the way I use it; then I say "**** off and stay away."
Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I use my rear fog in really bad weather. It says "**** off and stay away".

if you don't like the way I use it; then I say "**** off and stay away."
Absolutely

Quick Reply: Rear Foglight=improper equipment ticket?