Sponsored by:

Best combo for base 997: 18" + steel vs 18" + PASM

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best combo for base 997: 18" + steel vs 18" + PASM

Wondering which is the better combo for optimal ride/handling balance.

Is it 18" wheels with standard steel springs etc.

Or is it 18" wheels with PASM?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
gray911
Instructor

It is the 18 with standard springs. I have one and can't believe that it is so comfortable on long drives, disadvantage is that I sometimes forget it's a sports car. So refined!

Vic
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
997, esq
Racer

I also like my 18'' with simple std. springs. I would guess bumps on city streets are less pronounced with PASM on the soft setting, although I haven't done a side by side comparison.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM
am722
Drifting

I can't speak for the 997.2 base C2 because I haven't driven one. However, I just moved from a 997.1 C2 with 18" rims and std springs to a 997.2 C2S with the 19"s and the sport PASM. I'm not ashamed to admit that I miss the feel of the road that my old C2 gave me. It is somewhat duplicated in my new car with the sport setting engaged, but it's still not quite the same.
Of course, the new car is a sh_tload faster, so that makes up for it...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:04 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C2S on the DFI crack is absofreeekinlutelyfaster then you could need. (but you REEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLY want! )
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

C2 with 18" and no PASM. I have no complaints. The roads suck where i live anyway so im fine with it. PLUS cheaper replacement tires compared to the 19's. Although i love the Carerra sport rims.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

When you order PASM on the standard C2 or C4 doesn't it automatically come with 19's?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
I just moved from a 997.1 C2 with 18" rims and std springs to a 997.2 C2S with the 19"s and the sport PASM. I'm not ashamed to admit that I miss the feel of the road that my old C2 gave me.
Wow, that's a bold statement...and I don't like the sound of it. Could you elaborate? I have a 997.2 C2S with S-PASM ordered to replace my traditionally sprung 997.1 C2. If it's not a significant improvement, I'll go with a 997.2 C2...345hp is fine for me. Plus, the 997.2 has an improved standard suspension over the 997.1.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wow, that's a bold statement...and I don't like the sound of it. Could you elaborate? I have a 997.2 C2S with S-PASM ordered to replace my traditionally sprung 997.1 C2. If it's not a significant improvement, I'll go with a 997.2 C2...345hp is fine for me. Plus, the 997.2 has an improved standard suspension over the 997.1.
The C2S is an amazing car, no question, but for some reason it feels a bit soft in some areas compared to my old one. The PASM on normal really is sort of a luxury setting in my opinion, coming from the base springs in the C2 where I felt every bump, crack, and pebble on the road. That's not a complaint, but for me to get the car to feel like I think a 911 should I have to engage the sport setting every time I get in. The choice is unnecessary for me, and if I had to order all over again I probably would have just gone for the 997.2 base C2.

This is just a road use perspective, mind you, as I've put less than 200 miles on my car so far. I have no doubt that Sport PASM will prove far superior to the stock springs in a track setting.

(All that said, I love the car)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

The C2S is an amazing car, no question, but for some reason it feels a bit soft in some areas compared to my old one. The PASM on normal really is sort of a luxury setting in my opinion, coming from the base springs in the C2 where I felt every bump, crack, and pebble on the road. That's not a complaint, but for me to get the car to feel like I think a 911 should I have to engage the sport setting every time I get in. The choice is unnecessary for me, and if I had to order all over again I probably would have just gone for the 997.2 base C2.

This is just a road use perspective, mind you, as I've put less than 200 miles on my car so far. I have no doubt that Sport PASM will prove far superior to the stock springs in a track setting.

Aaron - Can a part of your experience be attributed to the incredible smoothness of the engine maybe ?? I have a pretty good amount of seat time in the new C2 & C2S (but obviously not as much as an owner like you does), and the thing that struck me (in addition to the superior quickness across the line) was how smooth/vibration-free the cars are. Excellence has stated several times about the DFI engine (including the Cayman/Boxster refreshes) that a little of the 'rawness' of the 'feel' of the prior model is lost bec/ the engine is so much smoother (they love the cars and think them better in all respects from what i have read so that is really not a criticism but more of an observation). I will see if I can locate a quote or cite later as I am at work now (but obv not working .. ) . Anything to this??
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
When you order PASM on the standard C2 or C4 doesn't it automatically come with 19's?
NO, base models C2 & C4 come with 18's whether you order the PASM or stick with std suspension.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Appreciate it

Love when an owner of a car or a feature speaks the truth.... so many posts I feel people support their model, features, etc cause that is what they have. rarely do you see someone digress and state a prior lesser option or model actually could possiby do something better etc.... apprecaite such feedback always, thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by cello
Aaron - Can a part of your experience be attributed to the incredible smoothness of the engine maybe ?? I have a pretty good amount of seat time in the new C2 & C2S (but obviously not as much as an owner like you does), and the thing that struck me (in addition to the superior quickness across the line) was how smooth/vibration-free the cars are. Excellence has stated several times about the DFI engine (including the Cayman/Boxster refreshes) that a little of the 'rawness' of the 'feel' of the prior model is lost bec/ the engine is so much smoother (they love the cars and think them better in all respects from what i have read so that is really not a criticism but more of an observation). I will see if I can locate a quote or cite later as I am at work now (but obv not working .. ) . Anything to this??
Yes, that is probably a contributing factor, but the fact that the "problem" is "fixed" when I engage the sport setting tells me that the suspension is part of it as well.

Quick Reply: Best combo for base 997: 18" + steel vs 18" + PASM