Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY clear side marker

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This job is no more than "Tickering" around. Any half witted weekend warrior is capable. Enough already. Get a screw driver and do it. I don't want to be around if you guys ever decide to change the oil.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

[QUOTE=Sadiq;6354152]clear.

Huh? Actually the lamp is orange. That's how it remains DOT legal. Shines orange at night, even though the lens is clear.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by JW911
clear.

Huh? Actually the lamp is orange. That's how it remains DOT legal. Shines orange at night, even though the lens is clear.
I don't remember if mine either a) came with clear lights or b) came with no lights. Either way, they light up clear and its not a big deal to me :-P
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkids
This job is no more than "Tickering" around. Any half witted weekend warrior is capable. Enough already. Get a screw driver and do it. I don't want to be around if you guys ever decide to change the oil.
You mean "tinkering". I think we get the picture it's easy - I've changed my exhaust, oil, etc. before, but sometimes little fiddly **** breaks VERY easily. If it's just a clip and a plug, no biggie. Get off your high horses, you ASE master mechanics...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by mstams
Mine are on the way. Should be here Monday.
Popped out. Popped in. No big deal. If I can do it...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

My dealer swapped them out for free, so I have always had the clear side markers.

Which brings the total number of things my dealer did for free to 1. And mine has an orange bulb. I think by law (in Canada at least) it has to have be orange.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

We carry the oem clear sidemarkers for the 997 (and others). They are always equipped with amber bulbs. Very straightforward removal/installation.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
We carry the oem clear sidemarkers for the 997 (and others). They are always equipped with amber bulbs. Very straightforward removal/installation.
There was a discussion about 6 months ago about breaking the yolks - equating the lens to a fried egg. The poster had replaced the standard orange bulb with one that was silver when off.

I replaced my amber bulbs with ones that had a layer of chrome put on by vapor deposition. They look irridesent blue when off but shine bright amber when on. The amber is on the inside of the bulb.

Hey, if your gonna change out the lens you might as well swap out the amber bulb as well.

Paul
Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Here are the pics

I did this mod today, took about 10 minutes.

Step one: buy clear side markers, mine came from ebay/porsche dealer. $45. Amazon was more expensive.

Step two: locate your current orange side markers on your car (this may take a while depending how much beer you drank between when you ordered the clear ones and the arrive)

Step 3: read your manual on how to do this. This can also take awhile if you read it sideways like I did.

Step 4: remove the plug in the wheel well. I did not use a screwdriver, used my finger nails. Note that this will get dirt under your nails and you will have to take time to clean them. More time...

Step 5: stick screwdriver in hole that you unplugged and depress the retaining spring

Step 6: unplug old side marker assembly by pushing down on retaining clip (too much beer, can't take picture)

Step 7: snap the new ones in

Step 8: sell/donate your amber ones. Mine available for free, PM me
Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. I did this a few months ago, used the directions in the manual. Thanks for providing pics.

I know this seems simple, but there are a lot of guys out there that have never done anything mechanical before. Having a thread like this with pics helps them out, and maybe gives them the courage to try it themselves. Then, on to more complicated jobs, and next thing you know, they'll be doing lots of DIY jobs. You just never know, so don't assume something is too simple.

I remember being a novice at one point. We've all been there. Threads like this are what makes sites like rennlist so great.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Things have gotten a lot easier in the 7+ years since this thread started....
Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather work on big things, because anything that involves a little clip or spring is potential madness, which I tend t reserve for R/C hobbies and such. So, while I'll tackle anything, it really is very nice to see a thread about some little part that doesn't go like this:

"You need the Porsche spring wedge adapter flux hex tool, which you can borrow from an Indy. You'll need a third hand and 500x magnification, because the geezuz clip (JESUS! Where did that clip go?!!) will otherwise pop out, and since the on-board computer monitors the function of all lights, if you try to start the car with the geezus clip missing, the light won't work and the engine won't crank. Also, your airbags will need to be replaced."

Old 05-22-2016, 03:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

This is my post for the silver bulbs that illuminate orange when powered.

They eliminate the "egg yoke" look.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...hes-amber.html

Quick Reply: DIY clear side marker