Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New: SoCal sales agent/dealer recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM
jrb15
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New: SoCal sales agent/dealer recommendations?

I've been monitoring the board for the last couple of years or so in anticipation of a possible C2S purchase. Now that I'm about to add the next car to the house, I'm hoping some of you might steer me to a sales rep and dealership in Southern California (San Diego to Santa Barbara's ok) that could make the experience as painless as possible. I've checked through the search function, and only came up with a couple of recs that might well be out of date.

I'm a long time BMW M owner (various models,) and my inclination is to purchase an M3 (I like this model much more than the previous E46,) and know that this might be the more rational choice (less money, satisfyingly quick and comfortable car.) But I loved the Porsche when I test drove a 2008 C2S last year. And the added hp of the 2009 pretty much erases the only quibbles I had with the car.

However, like a lot of non-Porsche folks, for me the piecemeal pricing of Porsches is daunting, and not particularly appetizing. I just don't want to have to go through the experience of putting one together with a sales rep that isn't working for me as well for him or herself. (I've a great BMW rep I've worked with for eleven years.)

So, I'd really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks-

jrb
Old 02-21-2009, 06:44 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I've heard good things about Hoen Porsche in Carlsbad, and Circle in Long Beach. Not too many good things have been said about the Newport Beach dealer. Try 6speedonline website too, as there are sales people that chime in there that might be willing to assist in the first steps. I agree with the daunting comment re all the options, particularly when you are relatively new to the car. Good luck and hope you have fun with it.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<-----------------------

We ship cars to California all the time.

Not only do I sell Porsches, I'm an owner as well. ( Was that too much like the hair club commercial? )
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Send me a PM with your email / phone number and I can help you. (I am not a salesperson and have nothing personal at stake.)
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Talk to Walt Branscombe at Santa Barbara Auto Group. 805 682-2000

Always fair to me!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Kevin Hite at McKenna has been very well respected in the BMW community for years at Crevier. Now that he is at McKenna he can help with Porsches as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 AM
Mark618
Intermediate

Circle in Long Beach
Old 02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking for a good deal or great service and want to stay local. If you want a good deal don't hesitate looking out of state. No one in Los Angeles (back in 07) was willing to cut a good deal..less than $1k off of MSRP. I bought the car from N.Olmsted Porsche in Ohio with Chris (Like my Stoppee) and got a great deal and great service. I did have to pay for shipping but the net cost was still almost $6k better than what I was offered in Los Angeles. Maybe times have changed now I don't know.

One thing..if you are worried about resale keep the options to a minimum..they don't bring much back upon resale. People want the car, not so much the options.

Dave
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
YseanY
Instructor

ask for keni huang at downtown la porsche, great guy and easy to deal with!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2008 997S from Chris Strole at Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad about this time last year. To be honest, I am certain that I could have saved a little more money if I was really focused on saving every last penny but I got a very, very good deal (judging by what others were paying) and had the best car buying experience I've ever had.

The dealership was undergoing a total facelift when I last stopped by a few months ago so I'm willing to bet that they're trying to move product even more now.

Good luck. I have nothing bad to say about the BMW because the M3 is a fantastic car but honestly, IMO, the Porsche really is a completely different animal. And other than the backseat, it's better in every single way.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris Neumeyer at Hoehn Porsche (760) 494-5105. Purchased a '06 CS from him. Would have purchased my 997S from him but found a CPO'd 997S elsewhere. If you don't mind going out of state I would also recommend Chris at N. Olmstead (like my stopee).

Brian

Last edited by Bgoldey; 02-22-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: content
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Reiner @ Circle in Long Beach is a longtime Porsche guy and a pleasure to deal with. Newport Beach could not be more of a pain in the $@$. I would never buy from them again.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
jrb15
7th Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who've responded. And I'd be pleased to hear more, of course. It seems possible all of a sudden to confront the ordering process. I don't know yet if a Porsche will be the outcome; but the issue of practicality is really the final hurdle. (I haul my son to a lot of golf tournaments, and often take my clubs along with his: I suspect this isn't even possible in a Porsche. If not, then I have to decide if I'm ok not being able to drive the new car where we go.) In any event, I'll head on to the next step and try to let the Porsche seduce me when I visit the dealer.

Thanks particularly to Jim. I'll be sending a PM.

jrb
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pioneer Porsche - Hands Down BEST workshop for after the sales work - the sales people seem pretty good too but I've purchased my three back in the DC area...

Quick Reply: New: SoCal sales agent/dealer recommendations?