Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for this CPO'ed C2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 PM
mikesh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a fair price for this CPO'ed C2?

Hi Guys, Here's a '05 CPO'ed C2 I'm considering. I would like to get your thoughts on what you think is a fair price for both parties. It's at a Porsche dealer.

It's a CPO'ed atlas/black '05 C2 w/ 34,7xx miles.
Overall it's in clean/good condition.

435 - Sport Steering Wheel
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
405 - 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
P74 - Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
342 - Heated Front Seats
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
P15 - Power Seat Package
670 - Navigation for PCM

I have a price in mind, but would like to get your opinions on what's fair.

thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Mid 40s.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

What's the Dealer's asking price?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 PM
mikesh
Intermediate

Dealer's listed price is 48k. I was thinking low/mid 40's. Preferably low 40's.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Remember CPO adds $2K to the dealer cost. I am not totally versed on pricing as I'm still researching myself, but I'd guess mid to low $40's based on the best deals I've been seeing. Its an '05 and those miles will hurt the resale.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You might be able to get it for $44K +/- $500. I would offer $42.5 and go from there. Just be prepared for a counter offer of $46 to $46.5, which is my guess for their first counter offer. Then it just gets down to who blinks first. If you have a "max" in your mind and can't get there initially, make yourself walk. You'll find out in a day or two if they have any more wiggle room. If they do, they'll call you. If not, then you can approach them with you max and see what happens.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mikesh
Hi Guys, Here's a '05 CPO'ed C2 I'm considering. I would like to get your thoughts on what you think is a fair price for both parties. It's at a Porsche dealer.

342 - Heated Front Seats
P15 - Power Seat Package
670 - Navigation for PCM

thanks!

Mike,

I have a 2007 C2 Coupe Atlas with Black Standard

Bi Xenons
19" Carrera Classics
Bose
Heated front seats
Full Power Seats
Floor mats
Self Dim Mirrors

Best yet; she only has 1706 miles on her. One owner- (we sold it and bought it back b/c the guy wanted a Ford GT, go figure)

She was just repriced and it includes the CPO Warranty.

food for thought.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Fair's got nothing to do with car's price. Price is not fact, only an opinion...

342 - Heated Front Seats
P15 - Power Seat Package
670 - Navigation for PCM

thanks!

Were I in the market for a car now I'd visit KBB or NADA sites and fill in the blanks to spec the above car and see what trade-in value is for car.

Then if serious start you offer there or a bit higher. You can always go up.

I'd limit myself to private sale price minus some amount. Cars ain't selling now. I see new ones, used ones still sitting unmoved weeks and weeks at a tiime. (Look at brake discs to get feel for how long car has sat. Rusty discs mean no movement, no test drives even.)

If you can't make a deal you can always wait a week and go back and up offer some more.

Remember, there's always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
mikesh
Intermediate

Yeah, everything I've looked at points to dealer retail w/ cpo in the mid/mid-low 40's. They called me when they first got the car in last week. They had a price of 47 at the time. It's gone up 1k on their website since. I sort of half joked with them at 40, and they said no way. I offered 42, and they came back with 45. I'm willing to meet them halfway, but not sure if they are, especially since they raised the list by 1k. Sales guy said they were into the car about 40800. I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Who cares if they raised the price by $1000. It's only worth what they can get for it.
Go 42.5K 43K max.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default Anything sales guy says is intended to get you to buy car now ....

Yeah, everything I've looked at points to dealer retail w/ cpo in the mid/mid-low 40's. They called me when they first got the car in last week. They had a price of 47 at the time. It's gone up 1k on their website since. I sort of half joked with them at 40, and they said no way. I offered 42, and they came back with 45. I'm willing to meet them halfway, but not sure if they are, especially since they raised the list by 1k. Sales guy said they were into the car about 40800. I'll find out tomorrow.
and pay as much for the car he can get you to pay.

Floor sales people know nothing about what dealer has in car. Only sales manager, F&I and dealer's flooring bank know what a dealer has paid for car.

I haven't priced Carreras in earnst but there are many bay area dealers with dozens of new '08s and '09s sitting around gathering dust and rust.

Do a search of similar Carreras for sale on say www.autotrader.com and see what prices are being *asked* for private sale or even dealer offered cars.

With car values dropping daily even if dealer "had" $40,800 in car it may not have been worth that then and it almost certainly isn't worth that now.

Used late model Porsches are not gaining value sitting around in this economy.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Default If you offered $42K and the dealer countered with $45K offer dealer...

$42.3K (if you're sure you want car and its worth owning). If dealer then comes back with counter offer still higher offer $42.4K.

If you want car if you think car worth owning. I'm assuming you've done due diligences.

Still if dealer *has* $40,800 in car sort of goes against my nature to start out half joking at $40K. You should have been no joking, all serious with your initial offer. Easier for dealer to say no than yes so you should have expected him to say no.

And to bump your second offer from $40K to $42K.... Why you being so generous with your money? Too late now but your limit should have been say $41K and your next offer not $42K but $40.4K. Then with after much effort and thought with minutes spent on cell phone out of ear shot talking with your financial advisor (buddy) about the car's value (latest sports stories) then gone back in with great reluctance raised your offer another couple of hundred. Be sure to mention what a fair offer for their car you're making and how anxious you are to buy right now if you get your price and how many other cars you have to choose from but you'd thought you've give this dealer first chance to sell you car, blah blah blah.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

All due respect Macster; 1) I 100% agree with you that *asking price* is merely an opinion. However 2) your opionion (not you specifically, but generally) doesn't matter either, in regards to price.

So you *think* that car X, is worth Y- but how did you arrive at that number? NADA? KBB? ........Autotrader 3rd party asking price??

How about your ***. You pulled that number out of your ***. Much like the dealer did when they set the 'orginal' asking price.

However, I'd go as far to say, cos I can- that at certain dealerships the "floor" sales people (becareful there , some of the those guys and gals are real Sales Professionals) DO know EXACTLY what they own the car for. Don't be so nieve.

And in addition, even if you *know* someone who works at a dealership, even for 10 years, or you yourself have worked there- that doesn't mean that the tactics and/or business practices are subscribed to and executed on a daily basis all around.

And to 'use' all the above (even though you're being very earnest in trying to help Mike out) is what I like to call:

Mental Masturbation. It doens't mean Jack ****.

So with that my recomendation for Mike (per our phone conversation earier today)

*do your research on finding the facts about what goes into making 'that' particular car good/great*
*find out what makes a CPO car a CPO car*
*evaluate those two differences (private vs CPO)(or 3rd- a Private car that IS a CPO car -warranty trasnferrable)
*set your sights on several cars. Make sure you touch/see/feel/drive as many as you can-remember; don't skull f*ck yourself going over board. I see too many of you go NUTS over soooo many cars. You Could go nuts over all the options, miles, colors ect ect.

Then-

*make your offer. Ask for documentation. All work performed. DME reports. Warranty Start Date. Carfax or Porsche's equiv. And if at all possible get the car checked out - even by a fellow Rennlister-whom has NO skin in the game. They can simply unbiased check out the car for you (providing they know what they hell their doing LOL)

and finally; make your choice.

Like I said earlier Mike; we're in a window. Just as it's opened. It'll close. It's only a matter of time.

Don't believe me? Why could I buy a 2007 E350 4matic with less then 20k on it at Mercedes Benz Auction 3 months ago for around 22? And now I can't buy one for 27??

I'll tell you why. Supply and Demand. New cars are taking it on the chin, so people are loving the CPO alternative.

Supply.

Demand.

Ain't rocket science folks. Peace out.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

ps. This message is brought to you by the lovely folks at Duck Horn. Make fiiiine Vino!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Wow, Likemystoppie has certainly enjoyed plenty of the happy juice today... Here is a link you need to check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yPIC-o1O3k it is by far one of the greatest drinking songs...

Quick Reply: What's a fair price for this CPO'ed C2?