Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fair price for this CPO'ed C2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Your comments read like you have some skin in the game...

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
All due respect Macster; 1) I 100% agree with you that *asking price* is merely an opinion. However 2) your opionion (not you specifically, but generally) doesn't matter either, in regards to price.

So you *think* that car X, is worth Y- but how did you arrive at that number? NADA? KBB? ........Autotrader 3rd party asking price??

How about your ***. You pulled that number out of your ***. Much like the dealer did when they set the 'orginal' asking price.

However, I'd go as far to say, cos I can- that at certain dealerships the "floor" sales people (becareful there , some of the those guys and gals are real Sales Professionals) DO know EXACTLY what they own the car for. Don't be so nieve.

And in addition, even if you *know* someone who works at a dealership, even for 10 years, or you yourself have worked there- that doesn't mean that the tactics and/or business practices are subscribed to and executed on a daily basis all around.

And to 'use' all the above (even though you're being very earnest in trying to help Mike out) is what I like to call:

Mental Masturbation. It doens't mean Jack ****.

So with that my recomendation for Mike (per our phone conversation earier today)

*do your research on finding the facts about what goes into making 'that' particular car good/great*
*find out what makes a CPO car a CPO car*
*evaluate those two differences (private vs CPO)(or 3rd- a Private car that IS a CPO car -warranty trasnferrable)
*set your sights on several cars. Make sure you touch/see/feel/drive as many as you can-remember; don't skull f*ck yourself going over board. I see too many of you go NUTS over soooo many cars. You Could go nuts over all the options, miles, colors ect ect.

Then-

*make your offer. Ask for documentation. All work performed. DME reports. Warranty Start Date. Carfax or Porsche's equiv. And if at all possible get the car checked out - even by a fellow Rennlister-whom has NO skin in the game. They can simply unbiased check out the car for you (providing they know what they hell their doing LOL)

and finally; make your choice.

Like I said earlier Mike; we're in a window. Just as it's opened. It'll close. It's only a matter of time.

Don't believe me? Why could I buy a 2007 E350 4matic with less then 20k on it at Mercedes Benz Auction 3 months ago for around 22? And now I can't buy one for 27??

I'll tell you why. Supply and Demand. New cars are taking it on the chin, so people are loving the CPO alternative.

Supply.

Demand.

Ain't rocket science folks. Peace out.
Where's I get the numbers? I was using numbers quoted by the original poster and his numbers came from the seller.

I did not research prices but did suggest the person asking about the car do so and IIRC suggested a couple of web sites.

But just today ad in SF paper by local (bay area) Porsche dealer offering $20,000 of MSRP for '08 Cabs (demos). Haven't seen this ad for a while but at one time this dealer has 20 to choose from. That's a lot of "demos".

Same dealer offering all remaining Cayman and Boxster demos at $12,000 off MSRP. Again haven't seen this ad for some weeks now but at one time this dealer had over a dozen cars so advertised. Other dealers have lots of unsold new/used stock too. I visit them once in a while. These dealer have just given up advertising in newspaper but I do get flyers in the mail about sales and reduced prices on service/repairs from Porsche dealers in my area that I've done business with in the past.

And you can be sure if the dealer's offering cars at these reduced prices you can buy the car at an even lower price.

Need I point out that with reduced prices on new or "demo" cars being sold by dealers this just kills the value for used cars. Too bad for sellers, but good news for buyers.

As for cost of cars, maybe some dealers share their actual costs with their sales people but most do not.

Car sales people jump ship too much to trust them with any knowledge of any value and exactly how much a dealer really pays for its cars is gold. You can bet a saleman leaving one dealer for another would blab all over what his previous dealer was paying for his cars.

Used car prices for some models have -- if reports are to be believed -- have experienced an up tick. Whether this "tide" will raise all used car prices we'll see. Read too where some buyers who need larger vehicles for business reasons are buying large pick ups at huge savings.

4-door Mercedes and other more ulitarian vehicles mght see some increase in their value as people search out good used vehicles instead of buying new.

Carreras and Boxsters and Caymans though are not 4-door sedans. I think prices for used Porsches will take some time to recover. (UK car mag ran article listing prices being paid at auction for used late model exotics -- with a Porsche or two in for good measure -- and prices for these cars have really really dropped. Huge depreciation numbers.)

Sure, there's a possibility the economy will turn around and the country will be flush with cash again.

But the stock market drops every new stimuluous package announcement, every time tax cheating treasury secretary opens his mouth, and not a day goes by that another company doesn't announce big layoff numbers (and the layoffs at smaller companies do not make headlines but in my talks with small business owners I don't know one that hasn't laid off some people and some have laid off many -- neighbor's a HR guy at one local company and he tells me his company's head count down from over 250 to under 40 employees and even my own employer cut 23 from a employee head count of just under 120 and all remaining factory personel are working just 20 hours a week vs. 40) so I don't think Mike's in any danger of being trampled by cash flush Porsche buyers anytime soon while he takes some time to get his head around the market values of these cars.

I particularly like your statement:

"Like I said earlier Mike; we're in a window. Just as it's opened. It'll close. It's only a matter of time. "

And I repeat, anything a car seller says to you is intended to get you to buy the car right now and pay as much for it as possible.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have skin in the 'game'. I'm in the business. But like it or not, or like the fact I'm a porsche sales manager aka car salesman, I could care less.

What I'm saying has merit.

The only difference I see in my profession besides having a Medical Degree or Law Degree, or Series 7; is that in those professions, you MUST have either of those to practice.

Mine, you don't even need a HS diploma to be a Billionair. Regardless; all professions have many opinions.

End of the day, my role isn't to sell. But to educate, and add value to the process.

With regards to Mike, I have Zero skin in his game. Nothign to lose; nothing to gain. Just reaching out to another fellow Rennlist'er; just like you Macster.

And I'd extend that hand to you as well.

Chris
Old 02-24-2009, 01:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I do have skin in the 'game'. I'm in the business. But like it or not, or like the fact I'm a porsche sales manager aka car salesman, I could care less.

What I'm saying has merit.

The only difference I see in my profession besides having a Medical Degree or Law Degree, or Series 7; is that in those professions, you MUST have either of those to practice.

Mine, you don't even need a HS diploma to be a Billionair. Regardless; all professions have many opinions.

End of the day, my role isn't to sell. But to educate, and add value to the process.

With regards to Mike, I have Zero skin in his game. Nothign to lose; nothing to gain. Just reaching out to another fellow Rennlist'er; just like you Macster.

And I'd extend that hand to you as well.

Chris
Okay so I am thinkin of selling my 2005 Carrera with options listed in my signature. Want to ask $46k but I researched it as said/suggested but am getting a wide variety of retail prices from $42k to $55k for similar cars as mine with similar mileage (22k on the dial) . So WHO knows what a REAL price is other than the guy willing to pay it? My car is CPO'd and I've only put 10k miles on it since I got it in 2006..however its hard to nail down an asking price OR a trade price. So is/are prices regional? Or is it the same nationwide? A quick search showed 24 like cars within 200 miles of my zip..is this unusual? It just seems to me as I browse the dealerships that there's not a deluge of folks out there or patrolling the classifieds looking for 997's now or otherwise.

Stoppie I'd be interested in your take since you're the expert! LOL
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Okay so I am thinkin of selling my 2005 Carrera with options listed in my signature. Want to ask $46k but I researched it as said/suggested but am getting a wide variety of retail prices from $42k to $55k for similar cars as mine with similar mileage (22k on the dial) . So WHO knows what a REAL price is other than the guy willing to pay it? My car is CPO'd and I've only put 10k miles on it since I got it in 2006..however its hard to nail down an asking price OR a trade price. So is/are prices regional? Or is it the same nationwide? A quick search showed 24 like cars within 200 miles of my zip..is this unusual? It just seems to me as I browse the dealerships that there's not a deluge of folks out there or patrolling the classifieds looking for 997's now or otherwise.

Stoppie I'd be interested in your take since you're the expert! LOL
I'd say that your car has a clear advantage.

1) your car IS a CPO'd car; meaning the warranty is trasnferable. - That in of it's self is worth big time. IMHO
2) you're not out of reach on your car. If it's a clean example I'd say your car is preferrable b/c it's not on a dealers lot. And you've got the warranty to back you up.
3) no, it's not unusual to find cars in that distance. If you were in CA you'd find many more.

I think your thinking is correct.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Likemystoppie, pm sent

Quick Reply: What's a fair price for this CPO'ed C2?