Sponsored by:

Sunroof delete? C4S questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof delete? C4S questions

I currently own a MY03 996 C2. Considering a new C4S and would like your input.

Does anyone know if sunroof delete is a possibility on new 997's? (I just do not care for sunroofs). There are a few hits on the internet that reference it but nothing on the Porsche website.

If available, do you feel there would be any negatives to sunroof delete? Positives? Value later on as an unusual option?

What are your thoughts on PDK in regards to value of the car 5 years down the road. Tiptronic was a several thousand dollar option and now those used cars seem to command 3-5k less than 6-speed versions. Please ignore the performance gains of PDK when commenting on this. I am fully aware of the advantages.

Color; I know this is very subjective but my C2 is guards red and I like it more every day as I do not see any other red ones in my area. It also seems to be a timeless Porsche color. I see LOTS of silver, black, etc. which makes them a rather common and uninteresting car (again, subjective, no offense to those with said colors). Some of the new colors such as the racing green look nice in person but I could see that becoming dated very quickly, like the greens and browns from the 70's for example. Obviously some of my concern is residual value but I understand that emotion factors into a color choice as well. So what do most feel about color? Stay with the traditional or go a little crazy??

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Sunroof delete not available in US - everywhere else though.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

no. sunroof delete is not an option on a US Bound car.

PDK will hold their value better then Tiptronics of the past; but consider that there will be many more PDK's produced then Tips.

Tiptronic was about a $4k option. Not several thousand. And Tip's resale has everything to do with it's lack luster desire to performance ratio. The Manual was (with exception to the 997 Turbo Tip) wayyyy faster then it's Tip counterpart.

Not so with PDK. PDK changes gears faster then you can think. And it's silky smooth. Almost toooooo easy to go fast.

color- buy for you; not anyone else. And it's a good color for resale. No worries.

How do you plan on acquiring the car? Lease? Buy? Cash? Long/ Short Term Goals with it?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Guards Red rocks.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Guards Red has much historical significance in America for the 911. It would be a wise choice in today's environment because it remains ageless. I can't say the same for the greens and browns, etc. which will be extremely hard for someone to unload in 5-10 years. (One of my dealers used to call the green "theft-proof.") Sure, those are popular right now, but they will fade as people migrate back to America's basic color favorites of: (1) Silver, (2) Black, (3) White, and (4) Red. These have been the best colors for your ability to turn them around in short order. Then again, some of us don't follow convention...blue cars command a premium at resale time because of their rarity.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I am loving the Guards Red.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the post 1999 911's, the roof section is supported on twin rails. I have heard of the panel being replaced with a solid steel of CF unit. Of course this would require a new headliner and removal of the sunroof mechanical components. Supposed to save around 30lbs.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

GMG will do the sunroof delete conversion using a carbon skin for about $5K on a street car.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Tiptronic was about a $4k option. Not several thousand........
How do you plan on acquiring the car? Lease? Buy? Cash? Long/ Short Term Goals with it?

Just to give you a good ribbing I pulled up the definition of "several";

Adj. 1. several - (used with count nouns) of an indefinite number more than 2 or 3 but not many; "several letters came in the mail"; "several people were injured in the accident"

So, $4k would, in fact, be "several" and my original statement was correct

On a more serious note, I would be buying with cash and would be keeping this one for maybe 10 years. I would use it much as I do my 996, put as many miles on it as weather permits up here in the midwest and maybe get a little deeper into the shoulder seasons (one of the reasons for wanting an all-wheel drive version).
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sunroof delete not available in US - everywhere else though.
Can anyone expand on this? Is this just totally impossible in the US or could the proper code be forced through on a build sheet when ordering? I am finding references that it has been a $0 option in the past where available.

I cannot imagine there is any US mandated safety issue with not having a sunroof, so I assume the problem lies with Porsche. And what would be their hangup if they are offering it elsewhere?

Thanks to all for their opinions/knowledge so far. Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:09 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche must have a reason maybe marketing, the 997 RS has no sunroof.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Sunroof delete is impossible to order from the factory for a car bound for the USA. The only exception is the 997 GT3 RS, which has no sunroof.

The best "guess" for the reason that sunroof delete is not available in the US is that Porsche didn't want to crash test more cars to meet the DOT safety tests. Either that or Porsche thinks most Americans want a sunroof. Only Porsche knows the real reason behind this decision.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really think the only reason is Porsche looking down on American buyers assuming we all want a sunroof. I don't think crash test is an issue, the DOT doesn't separate a sunroof or non sunroof for safety rating, proof is the RS and GT2 don't have a sunroof, they are rated under the same 911 platform. Obviously a no-sunroof car is is not less safe than a sunroof one.

Just marketing crap...
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Can someone tell Porsche that there are buyers out there very interested in a car without the sunroof. I would trade my '05 just for this.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

The lack of sunroof delete on 997's in the US has (true or not) always been attributable to DOT crash testing. Porsche tested only the sunroof 997's because that is standard equipment.

I was very disappointed when sunroof delete disappeared as an option, because I surely would have deleted it on my Club Coupe. I have two cars (the Club Coupe and an A6) with sunroofs that have never been used.

I have never understood who decided sunroofs are a near must have on pricey cars. No attraction for me.

At least the Club Coupe doesn't seem as prone to the creaks and rattles that seemed to plague the 4 996's with sunroofs that I had before it. Thank God for small favors.

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete? C4S questions