Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 2007 Carrera S, Speed Yellow, low miles, $54K

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I need to stand by the car at an intersection with a tattered old carboard sign that says "will give up Carrera for food". But seriously, I'm holding out for $54,000, or I'll keep this great car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It has been discussed here many times that cars that have a lot of options don't sell for much more than cars with a small number of options.

While I believe that is true for the most part, PCCB being one of the few exceptions, I think the higher optioned cars tend to sell more quickly than lower optioned cars. A lot of the '08 cars still left on dealers lots are cars with a lower number of options. I believe many buyers prefer more options and, in the used car market, since higher optioned cars don't cost much more than lower optioned cars, the higher optioned cars sell more quickly. In the current economy, the price difference between a high optioned car and a low optioned is smaller than it was a few years ago.

If I was looking at the OP's car and another car that had full leather and a few other options, I would be willing to pay $3K to $4K more to get an additional $8k (at MSRP) worth of options. While there is certainly nothing wrong with the OP's car, he simply is competing with more highly optioned cars that are at or near his price range.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

I agree that cars with more options are worth more but the options just carry less premium than they used to. And the older a car gets, the less the options are worth. The car's mileage, condition, chassis and mechanical features are pretty much all that matters in the future for most cars.

As for competing with other cars with more options at the same or nearly the same price, I disagree. Undoubtedly there are going to be exceptions (often for good reasons, such as a bad CarFax or car was smoked in), but from what I've seen, cars with more options at the same or a similar price are older, have more miles, or are non-S. Buyers that contacted me since I lowered my asking price have conceded it is the lowest asking price for my combination of model/year/low mileage; they just want to confirm that the car's in good condition.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

I bought my first Porsche in 2007. I looked for at least 12 months for a used car. The prices were too high. I finally found a used 996 that I didn't buy. Me and the owner were about $2000 apart. The price I was willing to pay $48k, he wanted $50k. I ended up buying new.

I would have loved to find a car like the one selling on this post.

Man, how times have changed. I sure am glad that I don't have to sell my car for financial reasons. I am not sure where the bottom is on these cars.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jplanaux

Man, how times have changed. I sure am glad that I don't have to sell my car for financial reasons. I am not sure where the bottom is on these cars.

The "bottom" is the same stock market bottom that no one has yet to define.

Mark
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

jplanaux -- I'm with you. I bought new because the used cars just weren't selling at enough of a discount in 2007.

mjsporsche - +1. But once there are some positive news stories about prices going up, a stock market rally, etc. ... I predict a flurry of buying activity from those who have been waiting in the wings, trying to time their purchase (of car, home, whatever) for the bottom of the market. Nobody knows when that will be. Just as the herd runs in fear, it charges to buy when it thinks prices are headed up. Humans are emotional creatures.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
I agree that cars with more options are worth more but the options just carry less premium than they used to. And the older a car gets, the less the options are worth. The car's mileage, condition, chassis and mechanical features are pretty much all that matters in the future for most cars.

As for competing with other cars with more options at the same or nearly the same price, I disagree. Undoubtedly there are going to be exceptions (often for good reasons, such as a bad CarFax or car was smoked in), but from what I've seen, cars with more options at the same or a similar price are older, have more miles, or are non-S. Buyers that contacted me since I lowered my asking price have conceded it is the lowest asking price for my combination of model/year/low mileage; they just want to confirm that the car's in good condition.
Doc - I hope you don't think I was saying that your car was over priced, because that was not my intent. I was just trying to figure out why it hadn't sold yet.

I agree that the price you have put on your S is an excellent price. Yes, most 2007 997's in your price range are the non-S cars. Unfortunately for sellers, there are a ton of cars out there right now and the selection available for buyers is almost overwhelming.

I wish you the best of luck with the sale.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
bave
Advanced

It is definetly a good price on the car, if it were another color I would be all over it. Just not sure I can walk out to a yellow car every day.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Nice car. I would love to see it with the wheels that "Chris in Cali" has on his C4S.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default fair price

It is a great price..... IMO
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Jim Chambers
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to sell my '06 Tip with less than 9K miles. I would lose at least $10K in 11 months! Hard to bite that bullet. However, I wonder if the prices will ever go up, even when the economy turns.

Last edited by Jim Chambers; 03-07-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Dr. Car
Racer

Jim, I've pondered this question. New or late model cars are depreciating assets. The rate of depreciation has increased for all cars, so it may very well slow down, but I can't foresee an economic recovery so robust that late model cars would go up in value. That said, if someone buys either one of our cars with the intent of owning it for just a couple years, he stands a good chance of suffering only minimal depreciation.

As bad as the depreciation seems to be on Porsches, it's probably no worse than what a was typical for a lot of luxury cars before the recession.

Last edited by Dr. Car; 03-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bave
It is definetly a good price on the car, if it were another color I would be all over it. Just not sure I can walk out to a yellow car every day.

Trust me..once you walk out to that SY beauty, you will be hooked.

Dave
Old 03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

A guy here in Jersey has a very similar car now on ebay with only 6,900 miles and for less$$$. Sorry but these aren't good times for any used car. I'm sure you know this by now.

BTW this car is a 10 out of 10. My detailer showed it to me since he detailed it for the owner. It's showroom perfect inside and out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
A guy here in Jersey has a very similar car now on ebay with only 6,900 miles and for less$$$. Sorry but these aren't good times for any used car. I'm sure you know this by now.

BTW this car is a 10 out of 10. My detailer showed it to me since he detailed it for the owner. It's showroom perfect inside and out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Two model years older though. 2005 vs. 2007

Quick Reply: FS: 2007 Carrera S, Speed Yellow, low miles, $54K