Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Test Drive? How common is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009 | 11:19 PM
Sub
Racer

Default Extended Test Drive? How common is this?

As you can probably infer by my post count, I'm new here and to 911's in general. I drove a 997 a couple years ago, but I was tagging along with a friend so I didn't really take the experience in on that short ride.

I'm going to drive a 997 tomorrow (actually three of them if they'll let me - a c2, c2s, c4s, but based on what I've read, the c2s is the car for me) and was thinking about asking them to take it for a longer test drive - either for a couple hours, or overnight. Is this sort of thing common? For some reason I am hesitant to ask, but I feel it may be necessary to really understand what makes a 911 a 911. I never get a good impression of cars on 4 mile test drives, especially if I am with a salesman whos blabbing on.

I'm going to need some convincing because I love my current car, a 2004 z06. I've thought about buying a 911 for a long time - I think its just one of the cars on every enthusiast's list (you know the own once before you die list), but until now I couldn't really rationalize the payment, and its only with the 997 that I think the HP is enough for me to not get bored or feel like I was taking a big step backwards.

I know to compare the z06 and 911 is hard, especially in a forum where there will be a clear bias, but I love the rawness and strength of the vette, and I wonder if I'll miss it with a 911s. I almost pulled the trigger on a M3 recently until I really drove it and realized it was just too tame and... dare I say.. German. Dont get me wrong, I love German cars, my first car was a Jetta GLI 16V and I drove the snot out of it and loved everything about it. But it was a different kind of German - the connected kind, not the stout precision kind. Am I making sense? Sorry to ramble on...

So what do you think? Will I have any luck there?
Old 02-16-2009 | 11:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Who knows in today's economy? But... were you able to get an extended test drive from a Vette dealer when you first bought your Z06?

Re Vettes vs 911s... I had both. It all depends what you are looking for. If your thing is 1/4 mile numbers, stay with your Z06. 911s are for other drivers.
Old 02-17-2009 | 01:04 AM
Sub
Racer

My z06 purchase story is kind of funny. I was driving a 350z at the time (2004) and drove into the Chevy lot to waste some time before a meeting. I was looking at a c5 convertible and a salesman comes over with keys and a plate. He hands them to me and says "Have fun!" And so I did.

The engine was nice, but the cornering was awful with scuttle shake to boot - I actually preferred my 350z. I inquired as to how the c5 could be so ****ty, being the American sports car dream. He asked if I knew about the z06. I didn't so he leaves and comes back a few minutes later with the keys. Wow, what a totally different animal that car is to a normal c5. The power, in any gear, is absolutely grin smacking and the cornering ability is amazing. I've been to many track events over the years and can attest to the racing prowess of this car (I've even done a few PCA events and wiped up pretty much everybody). Anyway, when I came back to the dealership, I told him I'd take it.. I didn't even plan on buying a car that day! My 350z was only six months old. What a great salesman!

I guess, under the right conditions, I am a bit of an impulse buyer.

I had heard something about these cheap hot 4wd cars coming out, so I thought I'd have a look. So I went over to Mitsubishi to inquire about a test drive in the newly released evo, to which they laughed at me (did I enter a Bentley dealership on accident or what?!). They said to even sit in one would require a deposit because people who buy these cars know what they can do. I left wondering how they ever sell cars, but this was a year ago and the new evo was hot back then. Hell, I was just looking for a fun winter car to replace my aging s2000. Anyway, I drove down the road a few miles and noticed a new car outside of a Subaru dealer. I didn't know anything about the STI so I inquired. It looked fun. They reluctantly handed me the keys after a bit of banter and I went for a drive. I ended up buying the car that night not realizing that it was the first '08 in the area. I was really tempted to drive back over to the Mitsubitchy dealer, beep and wave. The nerve of those guys!

I just have to add, the 2008 Subaru STI is the biggest POS I've ever owned and it has a company that doesn't back its product - please don't buy one.

I guess the moral is.. give me a chance to truly experience the car and if I love it, I'm going to buy it.
Old 02-17-2009 | 07:30 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Shouldn't be too tough to take one out overnight, but I guess it depends on the dealer. I looked at a used Boxster on Xmas eve a few years ago, and the salesman was pushing me to take it home over the holidays to see what I thought.

If you look like a serious prospect (ie drive something nice and tell them about how many cars you apparently buy yearly) I imagine they'd play ball.
Old 02-17-2009 | 11:06 AM
richc
Pro

My dealer has given me cars over the weekend, if they know I'm serious about them. I've bought a couple from them - one with no drive - they know I'll buy something.
Old 02-17-2009 | 11:21 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you have NO relationship with the dealer... DOUBTFUL
Old 02-17-2009 | 12:01 PM
Sub
Racer

I bought a Audi TT and VW GTI vr6 from them a while back, but not sure if that helps in the Porsche dept! We'll see.
Old 02-17-2009 | 01:57 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

If you're located in Washington State, RobinWA I'm sure will hook you up!

If you're in the Cleveland area and are a Rennlister- I'll take care of you.

Ps. -become a member of RL!
Old 02-17-2009 | 02:02 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
If you're located in Washington State, RobinWA I'm sure will hook you up!

If you're in the Cleveland area and are a Rennlister- I'll take care of you.

Ps. -become a member of RL!
Tanks Mang
Old 02-17-2009 | 05:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

There should be no issue with an extended drive, particularly if you hae a relationship with the dealer. I once took a USED car out for several hours,--and then bought it.

I don't understand this rambling:

I know to compare the z06 and 911 is hard, especially in a forum where there will be a clear bias, but I love the rawness and strength of the vette, and I wonder if I'll miss it with a 911s. I almost pulled the trigger on a M3 recently until I really drove it and realized it was just too tame and... dare I say.. German. Dont get me wrong, I love German cars, my first car was a Jetta GLI 16V and I drove the snot out of it and loved everything about it. But it was a different kind of German - the connected kind, not the stout precision kind. Am I making sense? Sorry to ramble on...

The 911 of today is much more refined than anything out of Detroit. What is a "connected" car?

You may be thinking too much. Just drive it.
Old 02-17-2009 | 06:15 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Subw00er
I'm going to need some convincing because I love my current car, a 2004 z06. I've thought about buying a 911 for a long time - I think its just one of the cars on every enthusiast's list (you know the own once before you die list), but until now I couldn't really rationalize the payment, and its only with the 997 that I think the HP is enough for me to not get bored or feel like I was taking a big step backwards.
Just ask. The worst that will happen is they say no. Then point out its the same as giving a loaner to someone having their car serviced only they may get a sale out of it.

The Z06 is a nice car. I had 3 of them behind me at the track two weeks ago.
Old 02-17-2009 | 06:54 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

My story is somewhat similar to yours. I had a 2001 and 2003 Z06 then a 2004 track model 350Z followed by a G35 Infiniti coupe. I then purchased a 2006 Cayman S before I bought my current 08 C2S.

No regrets with the Porsches. None. Without getting into the vette v.s. Porsche thing too deeply, the Vettes are raw but numb and you have to drive them fast to have fun IMHO. The Porsches satisfy and engage the driver at any speed and don't forget that the C2S is a very fast car in it's own right. Performance numbers are very close between the C2S and C5 Z06.

I say drive the Porsche, C2S (it's the closest comp to your car power/performance wise) and if you are not immediately impressed then stick with your Z06. It's cliche, but there is definetly truth when they say there is no substitute. The fit, finish and feel of the Porsche is light years ahead of the Vettes.

If you are serious you should be able to get an extended test drive but I think overnight is pushing it.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009 | 08:24 PM
Sub
Racer

Ok, well I drovethe 911 today. Actually, I drove three of them. A c4s, a c2s and a c2 cab. They were all used and the c4s had the most miles and surprisingly felt the best with the least rattles. The cab was nice but had a lot of rattles and although easier, smooth and pretty darn close to the S power-wise, the S is more my style, especially coming from the z06. That was a good drive - I ruled out the cab or non-s.

The c4s felt great, very solid, not a single rattle, and in great shape inside - you'd think it was new, but had 40K miles. The problem is that the 4s just didnt have the freedom of expression the c2s had. I've decided I also dont really like 4wd, even if is 25/75 split F/R. I found it difficult to break traction (ie have fun in a corner) and it seemed to understeer and feel numb ever so slightly. I could also feel the weight difference. So, now I know the c2s is definitely the right car.

Each car also had different seats; sport, adaptive sport and stock. The stock is comfy, but I need more support. The sport seats are nice, but too narrow at the shoulders and not comfortable for me. The adaptive seats are the best blend, so now I know I definitely need a car with those.

Overall, it was a very productive day and I'm really glad the dealer was open enough to let me try each car. My salesman had to shuffle cars around and was very patient with me and let me take the cars alone so I was really able to concentrate on the car, not the passenger. They actually offered to let me take the c2s home for a few hours, but I didn't need to.

So, now I know the exact specs I want (in order of importance):
  • 2006(ish) C2s
  • adaptive sport seats
  • heated seats
  • sport chrono
  • multifunciton wheel
  • short shifter
  • pse exhaust
  • telephone module
  • self dim mirrors

Colors (in order of preference, and not sure if first two were avail in '06?!): nordic gold, macadamia, white, dark gray, green, black

KBS911 - you went from a z06 to a 350Z? Then to a g35? That seems like a series of downgrades! Why?! To answer your question. I got out of the 911 thinking.. I could live with this. I am still going to miss the z06, and I'm not sure the 911 is a more fun car, but its a change and although i don't think its a huge upgrade, I don't think its a downgrade either. The reason I've kept my z06 for so long is that frankly I hadn't driven anything in my price range I'd rather own. With the economy and older 997's around, now the 911 makes financial sense.

pmgoodwin - were they on their way past you?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 02-17-2009 | 08:39 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

I have purchased 5 Porsches over the last 9 years and have yet to drive one first. In fact I had never even driven or ridden in one before I bought mine. I have yet to make a bad decision, and yes I have a 997. My question is why? You know it has a lot of power, relatively lightweight, brakes that would stop a freight train and handles if it were on rails. Would I let you take a new 997 overnight if it were me? Given your circumstances no. You simply don't need to. If you are not sold on the car within 10 minutes it's not for you.
Old 02-17-2009 | 08:46 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Nordic Gold and Macademia were not available in 2006 unless someone did a custom paintjob. The only green at the time was Malachite green.

If you're new to 911's and want have fun breaking traction on public roads then it would be best to get some experience first, ideally at PDE. (actually, it's probably best to not do this on public roads anyway) With the rear engine layout this car won't react the same as your Z06 in such situations.

Quick Reply: Extended Test Drive? How common is this?