Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I offer for this car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What should I offer for this car?

2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Guards Red / Black interior
11K miles
Manual

P77 - Leather Sport Seats
431 - 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
XRR - 19" Carrera Sport Wheel
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
XCZ - Sport Shifter
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
267 - Self Dimming Mirrors
670 - Navigation for PCM
666 - Module for Telephone PCM
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
342 - Heated Front Seats
680 - Bose High End Sound Package

They have it listed for $70K. What is the real value of this car? Its at a dealer.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Options add little value if any. These days in particular, price is based on model year, miles and condition. That car should not sell for much above $50k, including PCNA's extended warranty - CPO.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
linklaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$52500
Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Sub
Racer

Wow thats amazing! Why dont options matter?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

You guys are quoting wholesale pricing, come on 50k retail for an 06 S with that mileage? I would guess that car has a retail value assuming you're getting CPO warranty for upper 50's or 60k. If you can buy it for 50~52 buy it without question. There is a car on Rennlist an 06 C4S for 63k and that's pretty cheap. Subwooer, what region do you live in, pricing is also dependent on the local market

Last edited by Bob in NY; 02-14-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There's really nothing that unique about that car other than, perhaps, the color. You don't see that many red 997s. Good luck. This is typical of 2-3 year old Porsches that were purchased by someone who "HAD" to get a 911 and then never found the time to drive it. It's not even broken in. Offer them $55k.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

57K tops
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
GHills
Instructor

Coochas C4S in the thread above has a buy it now price of 61.8, plus the dealer is pleading for bids. Way more options on Coochas ride. I'd say 53-54
Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

A quick check of ebay indicates a tremendous buyers market, maybe low 50's is the value, wow what a deal!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Sub
Racer

Bob, it snows here, so there is definitely a seasonal adjustment in effect.

Is it fair to compare pricing to the c4s? Maybe the c4 is a closer comparison to the s? The numbers above are fairly varied... it seems like the consensus is around $54K?

I'm interested in this car not for the color (I actually hate red) but I like the exhaust option, short shifter and the PASM. I guess sport chrono is easy to find, but I haven't seen many with the shifter and exhaust installed - two "must haves" for me. I guess I can install the exhaust and shifter aftermarket, but it will cost more in the end. I also hate black and silver and thats unfortunate due to the plethora of them out there.

So, while I have your attention, can I ask a few more questions..
  1. When I went to look at this car, the clutch felt very heavy/stiff - almost rough. Is this normal for 11K mile 911s? I didn't drive it because it was blocked in an near closing, but I started the car to hear the exhaust (which was really nice, I love the valve concept) and noticed the clutch was quite stiff. Is it perhaps the cold weather?!
  2. What should I look out for when test driving a used 911s? I read on here to watch out for rough gear changes and oil drips. I dont know anything about these cars from a mechanical perspective and I dont normally buy used cars, so this is new to me.
  3. Is there a concise reference for 997 options/info? I found this GREAT link, but its for the cayman: http://www.caymanclub.net/faq.php?faq=optionsindex I also wanted to know if there were there any changes from '05 to '06 for the 911s? Maybe I should be looking at a less expensive '05 and just install the exhaust and shifter?
  4. What is the best way to search for used dealer cars (and is it possible to search for specific packages, i.e. XLF - Sport Exhaust)? I've just been going to dealer websites and searching and its quite tedious!
  5. Does being a PCA member hold any advantage when buying a used car? I think I joined whilst attending a few track events in the past with my z06.

Thanks everyone..
Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

In response to your questions, here is my opinion:
1) the clutch should be smooth and effortless
2) The car should drive smoothly, responsive, drive straight, etc. Even though it's used it should drive as new
3) must have options: sport chrono, heated seats, self dimming mirrors, power seats, Bose system.
4) the 05 and 06 should be identical
5) go to www.porsche.com and do a search on the preowned section, you can look at every used c2s at every Porsche dealer in America. I'm not sure the pca can help you or not.

Feel free to send me an im or email if you need any help. I've owned several P cars including 3 997's all bought pre-owned.

Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

No way I would buy a color I hate just to get a couple DIY bolt on options.

If you do a search on PSE you'll see that many disable the valve anyway-just do a FisterD conversion or even better Tubi exhaust. Many write up the SSK as something they love but also complain that when the car isn't warmed up yet the 2-1 shift can be quite difficult.

Given the "buyers market" I'd be all over looking for a PCCB car if you don't intend to track that much.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Subw00er,

Price - A C4S was about $10K more than a C2S, and while it may not be fair to compare the two, it does give a "relative" price point. I agree with the others that $54K +/- is a good number for this car.

Color - If you hate red, then continue your search. You will have to look at the car every day and, in this case, since "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" she (the car) may turn ugly in your eyes a few weeks or months down the road.

Options - Yes, PSE is sweet and the short shifter is nice, but you can add those yourself relatively inexpensively after you get the car. There was a set of PSE mufflers on ebay a week ago for $1,500. However, as MLindgren stated above ^ you can opt for a mod to the stock mufflers that will give you 90% of the sound of PSE at 10% of the cost. I did this on my '04 996. The short shifter is an easy mod and would take 1.5 hours of your time and $200 for a B&M SSK (short shifter kit) or $360 for an OEM SSK. If you can turn a screwdriver and a socket wrench, you can do the DIY install, trust me, I have done two of them.

Your other questions:
  1. Clutch should be smooth and not heavy feeling. It could be that the cold weather and the car not warmed up had something to do with the heavy feel. Try the clutch in other 997s to compare.
  2. Test drive a couple of them so you get a feel for what they feel like. They all should drive true and straight with minimal or no interior rattles.
  3. Go to the Porsche web site and click on Build Your Porsche. That will offer you the ability to see most of the available options. Just be aware that the HP numbers changed in '09 versus the 997.1 cars.
    • '05 - '08 C2 = 325 HP vs. '09 = 345 HP
    • '05 - '08 C2S = 355 HP vs. '09 = 385 HP

There are some new options for the '09 cars that were not available on the '05 - '08 cars, which are:
    • PASM Sport
    • PDK transmission
    • Heated steering wheel
    • Ventilated seats
    • Bluetooth, UBS port
    • and maybe a couple of other monor options I can't recall

Spend an hour looking at the list and you will have a much better feel of what is/was available on the '05 - '08 cars. Then you can refine your "must have" options list even more. BTW - there were very few changes, if any, between '05 and '06.
  4. There is not good way to search for specific options either via Autotrader.com, or Cars.com or the Porsche web site pre-owned search.. The bust thing you can do is start with the color(s) you want and go from there. Yes, it can get a little tedious, but remember "the chase is half the fun!"
  5. I don't think being a PCA member offers any additional benefits when buying a car.
I hope this helps a little.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Sub
Racer

Tim, Bob, and others, thanks a lot for the replies. Very informative!

Based on the ease of adding the shifter/exhaust later, I will open my search up a bit (BTW, what does the sport exhaust cost from Porsche, and can I install it myself if I jack the car up? I am fairly mechanically inclined and have installed shifters/pads in my other cars, so I should be fine. I never installed an exhaust though, and I'm wondering how you tap it into the brain in the car so it activates when the sport button is pushed.).

I also have to nail down what changed from 05-06 but it looks like it may be worth looking into it. 05's with 20K miles are in the low $40's and that would really make it easy for me to get into the car. I noticed in some of the pics that it looked like the dash changed. I much prefer the '06 dash and steering wheels (although I still think it could be a lot more inviting/interesting).

So I need to look for a car with these options then:
-05-06 Carerra s
-manual
-Any color considered, except silver (I've had too many silver cars). The brown color Porsche sells is REALLY nice I think.
-Sport Chrono
-PASM
-Heated sports seats

Rear wiper and steering wheel controls is a plus..!

Wish me luck and let me know if any of you see said car.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Sub
Racer

duplicate post , sorry. please erase.

Last edited by Sub; 02-15-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: What should I offer for this car?