Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 997: What to pay today? Is it Black Book?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
jonezy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 997: What to pay today? Is it Black Book?

Stating the obvious, it's a buyers market.

I am looking for a 997 C2 Cab with low miles. There are almost too many really nice examples to choose from. None of them seem to be selling.

I have watched dozens of auctions on ebay; none have met reserve. Ads on autotrader and cars.com are up for weeks and weeks.

People still seem to think they can ask the KBB retail price. It looks like even Edmund's pricing is a bit optimistic.

The foregoing is a long winded preface to the following questions.

Is the Black Book worth subscribing to? Does anyone think a dealer woudl take today's wholesale blackbook on a car as an offer?

Finally, if you bought a used 997 in the past 60 days (or so) and you are willing to share what you paid here, that would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't bother subscribing to anything, just make a deal on one of the cars you like. I gathered information just like you did, and made offers to 6 dealers for their CPO 2005/6 Boxster S, and bought one for wholesale. 3 didn't have pressure to sell, so they were still priced several $k too high, and 3 were willing to go to wholesale to move inventory and raise cash. Not magic to it...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Forget any book, the books dont actually buy or sell cars, samething goes with the websites. People come in all the time and tell me what their car is worth according to this or that. The problem is this or that wont actually pay them what this or that says its worth.

We have an 06 black with beige cab in stock. If you're interested send me a pm. I'll be happy to show you all the books and websites and auction info.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
jonezy
Advanced

Default I suppose I should have also asked,

In today's market, what is the most reliable source of pricing information. Looks like Black Book has daily updates.

Thoughts? THANKS!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Again, who cares what a book says - it's irrelevant given the crazy status of the market. The rules (and books) are out the door. It comes down to finding the car you want and negotiating to buy it - that simple.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by RonCT
Again, who cares what a book says - it's irrelevant given the crazy status of the market. The rules (and books) are out the door. It comes down to finding the car you want and negotiating to buy it - that simple.
+1 ^^^^

Thats the bottom line right there.

BOoks and websites dont buy cars so they have no risk. Buyers who put their money on the line are the ones who set the price, whether they're dealers or private parties.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
autoboy70
Intermediate

I got a 2006 C2S. Picking it up today. 20K miles. Xenon, Active suspension, Bose, and a few little extras for 53K in California. Not sure if it is the best price ever, but I think it is a good deal for a VERY clean car.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Sounds like a very reasonable deal to me, but no ones opinion matters more than yours. If you're happy with your purchase then it was a good buy.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by autoboy70
I got a 2006 C2S. Picking it up today. 20K miles. Xenon, Active suspension, Bose, and a few little extras for 53K in California. Not sure if it is the best price ever, but I think it is a good deal for a VERY clean car.
Just FYI, 997S comes standard with Xenon and active suspension (PASM).
Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
tobyport
Instructor

autoboy70, did you buy the seal gray C2S with black leather in Woodside from Don? If that is the car, it looks great, well cared for. Please post pictures.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
jjtoma
AutoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCT View Post

"+1
BOoks and websites dont buy cars so they have no risk. Buyers who put their money on the line are the ones who set the price, whether they're dealers or private parties."

It depends the cash needs of the seller(private or dealer). Was looking at a 2007 C4S Cab ($116.6msrp) with 8800 miles. Car sold for $64,000 in early Jan. Buyer purchased the car used in Aug 07' for $102,000, he just needed the MONEY, what it is about in this market. Get the best deal for yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
lakerholic
4th Gear

It's definitely a buyer's market and I agree with everyone here that books, etc don't matter... find the car you like, and try to get the best deal you can. If the numbers don't work out, be patient there will be others (it took me a good, long while to convince myself of this)...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Clearly a buyers market but you get these people who want to trade their 996 or something up since the deals are so good but they're pissed when they see the price of their car. Use your noggin, if you can upgrade at great prices your down car is getting crushed too. Had a guy wanted to trade his 04 996 with 17k miles on it and was irate at the price he got for his car. Well duh if the 07 S cab with 11k miles on it is a 65k car down from 111k then your 5 year old coupe is worth bupkis.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
porch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trader220
Clearly a buyers market but you get these people who want to trade their 996 or something up since the deals are so good but they're pissed when they see the price of their car. Use your noggin, if you can upgrade at great prices your down car is getting crushed too. Had a guy wanted to trade his 04 996 with 17k miles on it and was irate at the price he got for his car. Well duh if the 07 S cab with 11k miles on it is a 65k car down from 111k then your 5 year old coupe is worth bupkis.
Yes, but if they are both depreciating at the same percentage rate, then the gap between the two is narrowing at that percentage rate so it is still a win upgrading to the higher priced car.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by autoboy70
Is it a cpo'd car off of an actual porsche dealership or a used car lot? big difference in car between the two. (or should be at least...lol)

Originally Posted by RonCT
+1

Originally Posted by Trader220
+1 ^^^^

BOoks and websites dont buy cars so they have no risk. Buyers who put their money on the line are the ones who set the price, whether they're dealers or private parties.
+1

All to often people don't realize that SALES is a two way street. Meaning; if you're talking to a dealership and found a car you'd like to take home- you can sell the sizzle to them as well- and *if* they've half a brain the recognize the buying signs and want to strike a deal on the car. But people think themselves out of some great (or potentially) great deals or cars by not putting forth enough effort. Just a 'give me your best price'.

Cash in hand, cc deposit ready to go- make an offer and it's off to the races and if things go smoothly; Viola! you've landed a Porsche in yer hands!

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Just FYI, 997S comes standard with Xenon and active suspension (PASM).
Ooops!

Quick Reply: Used 997: What to pay today? Is it Black Book?