Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
chops
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Well, for one .... it's NEW ! And, the performance of a normally aspirated Porsche is just fantastic. Every one I get is better than the one before .... like Darwin, eh.

But, I suspected the Turbo to be very ungainly around town or at low speeds. But, that is not the case .... it's as EZ to drive slow and around town as the 997 C4S. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was not as 'clean', but it could just be me and the new car. The clutch is EZr to use than the S versions .... different hydraulics? Don't know.

I do have to say tho ... when you stomp on the GO Peddle, the car lurches forward like I can't believe. I did respect the new car and did not trash it ... but, the thing is a MONSTER ! Heck, this is a sub 4 second car !

But, all that said .... I will not be able to do these things with the SO on board. She takes a particular stance on 'driving like a maniac' .... altho, I do not think I do so. I'm a fast driver, and a safe driver .... but, I like to see what the car can do in short runs. I'm not much into seeing if the car can do 200 mph .... but, driving at 'the century mark' on the Super Slab for a while is fine with me .... traffic conditions allowing, of course.

But, back to your question ..... the car is WONDERFUL ! I'm stoked. But, I alway am stoked when I get a new vehicle. Just how we are.
Congrats on the new Turbo! Nice colour combo.

Question about the clutch; you mention that it is easier to use than the 911s clutch? I've never driven a 997 Turbo, but I did sit in one once at a dealership. The clutch felt insanely heavy; I had to use two feet. Ok, no i didn't, but you get my point....interesting that you say otherwise!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Great l@@king car! Congrats!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a Midenite blu turbo with beige interior and its a classic. THe new turbos are the most refined supercars in the world. Around town it will be like a caddy (sorry dont know what other cliche' to use)
and when youre ready to get on it it will get up and go. Believe me after driving 2 GT3s in the last 3 years the Turbo is a sweet machine for around town.
Love the story. You know we are all going to be sympathetic.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by chops
Congrats on the new Turbo! Nice colour combo.

Question about the clutch; you mention that it is easier to use than the 911s clutch? I've never driven a 997 Turbo, but I did sit in one once at a dealership. The clutch felt insanely heavy; I had to use two feet. Ok, no i didn't, but you get my point....interesting that you say otherwise!
What you're describing sounds like a GT3, not a Turbo. The 997 Turbo's clutch IS easier then a C2/C2S.

Slick like butta!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big congrats! Great car. It is probably a keeper as well, since this is probably the last Turbo with the GT1-based engine...

And your salesman is pretty smooth, good job for him.

Regards,
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice choice, they let you take it home because they knew you would buy it! The TT is awesome good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bagger, you will freakin' love the car. It is a hoot.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Very nice, Congrats on the new car. Great Story.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story and car....congrats!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

love your car buying story.

great choice, the supercar in cab version, nothing else to upgrade to for a while.

don't worry about waiting for the new model if you're buying a 6 speed anyway, the new model's selling point is PDK, everything else is about the same.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME! Way to go, so...the "Puppy dog close" works again...hee hee!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
love your car buying story.

great choice, the supercar in cab version, nothing else to upgrade to for a while.

don't worry about waiting for the new model if you're buying a 6 speed anyway, the new model's selling point is PDK, everything else is about the same.
Thanx, Tim ... I'm not much of a PDK man. Ol' school, I guess ... or just old ?

I drove the new 997.2S. The motor is enough to move from the 'old car' to the 'new car'. But, the Turbo .... well .... for git about it! It's a monster.

I think it's like everything .... waiting for the next 'upgrade' to the computer, iPod, iPhone, Botox, Turbo. If you continue to wait for the "next great thing", you miss what is presently available. Or STB before the wait is over.

I'm just a dude who likes shifiting for myself and if the power is UP .... I'm down with that.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not much of a PDK man
Dont dismiss PDK until you drive one. I have COMPLETELY changed my mind after buying an 09
AMG with the 7 speed auto with paddles and blip on downshift. GT3 guys are now really interested
in driving this new tranny on the track. I have faith in it because if Mercedes can do a auto tranny that I like then Porsche can do it better. This AMG tranny is totally fun to drive in sport mode and hitting the paddles.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dont dismiss PDK until you drive one. I have COMPLETELY changed my mind after buying an 09
AMG with the 7 speed auto with paddles and blip on downshift. GT3 guys are now really interested
in driving this new tranny on the track. I have faith in it because if Mercedes can do a auto tranny that I like then Porsche can do it better. This AMG tranny is totally fun to drive in sport mode and hitting the paddles.
Hey Paul, if you're up here drive our PDK car and it will blow your mind how well it shifts in the three different modes...

PS Saw your old car at the shop today It's coming in for more surgery next week

Quick Reply: Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long)