Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long) (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/478943-look-what-the-dealer-let-me-take-home-a-bit-long.html)

Baggerdude 01-26-2009 07:48 PM

Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long)

I had a few errands to do today and had not had the '07 C4S out for a while because of crappy roads. So, I decided to take it out for a trot and found myself close to a Porsche dealer in the Hartford area.

I decided to stop by and talk to them about dropping my leased C4S off in a month. I'm familiar with the service manager, Ethan, who was previously at the BMW place across town. He helped me with the service with my M cars when he was there. Good guy.

Anyway, I ran the conundrum I have with the 3 Porsches: one owned (993), one leased (997) and one with a loan (987 B-car). I said I really didn't want 3 cars ... and wanted a cab for the warmer weekend months ("bonding car").

Anyway we spoke about the various options .... and I drove a new 997.2S. New car with less than 10 miles on it. Sales person, Josh, and I went out for about 30 minutes. I did not 'trash' the car, but did get a pretty fair idea about how the new 997.2 handles. He was holding on with a smile.

I liked it a lot !

The additional power is immediately obvious and welcomed, too. And, altho the car was not set up yet, it handled extremely well at near the limits on entrance and exit ramps. The new suspension was terrific and the car felt more compliant than mine, but that could be the tires with lower pressures than mine. Also, the exhaust note was deeper and more pronounced than mine .... both have the PSE deal, but I had it 'off'. I'm not a fan.

Interior was an upgrade as well. Both cars have full leather, but the console has improved with 1/2 as many buttons and a larger touch screen nav system. There are others.

I think the '09 C2S is a great car. I do like my '07 C4S as well .... but, new is always better.

But ..... while I was speaking about the 997.2S, I saw a '09 Turbo cab sitting 4 feet away. While Josh went to see what could be done with a trade in for my '05 Boxster S, Ethan let me sit in the Turbo cab .... we tossed the top ... played with the controls and he explained the car in detail. He really knows cars ... always has.

So, Josh comes back .... we start talking about the 997.2 coupe ... I said I'd really like a cab to replace the B-car .... he said, "What about the Turbo here?". Of course, I've always wanted a Turbo ... never driven one ... felt they would not be as 'nice' around town ... yada, yada.

Then Josh said, "Wait here a minute". Ethan got a jacket, opened the doors of the show room, drove out a Cayenne CTS ... and then drove the Turbo outside. They stuck a plate on the car and I went out alone for a 20 minutes. Again, new car .... 8 miles !

When I came back I was all smiles. Incredible car ! But, at nearly $150K I was gassed. And, I didn't want to come home with another car with out 'someone's' approval .... at least a token approval, eh. So, they said .... "Take the car home ... you're like 25 miles from here ... can you be back in a couple hours?". Yes, I can ............ !

Kris loved the car .... who wouldn't. Went back to the dealership and we signed the papers. I'll drop off my C4S in a month .... give them my Boxster S that they'll pay off and give me some strokes. Nothing down lease for 39 months ... longer than what I'd like, but just a tick over what I'm paying for my C4S lease. Plus, I'll be a few hundred ahead with the B-car gone.

Yes, I know .... this is all just emotional choices and expensive crap. Been there many times. But, I never tho't I'd own a Turbo (lease a Turbo) ... and the car is pretty exceptional performance-wise and in most respects.

Take a look ... here's the car when I got it home for Kris to look at .... Midnight Blue, blue top, natural leather and this stuff:
541 - Seat Ventilation
870 - Universal Audio Interface
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
CXB - Door Entry Grds Stl Steel Illu
XME - Rear Ctr Cons Painted Extr Clr
693 - 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer
686 - XM Radio
342 - Heated Front Seats
CUV - Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
998 - Leather Interior Natural Lthr
810 - Floor Mats in Interior Color
640 - Sport Chrono Package Turbo
619 - Bluetooth Phone Interface
XPA - Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather
They'll hook up my V1, add a clear bra, clear markers, tint at NC. Nice.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...1/IMG_0324.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...1/IMG_0323.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...1/IMG_0326.jpg

Jerry Fisher 01-26-2009 08:15 PM

awesome...congrats..

gray911 01-26-2009 08:16 PM

Nice car. I don't have the guts to decide that fast when buying a car this expensive!
Isn't it that the 2010 Turbo will be out soon?;)

Vic

THPorsche 01-26-2009 08:17 PM

wow, congrats!

Crazy Canuck 01-26-2009 08:19 PM

very nice.

enjoy.

fjpdds 01-26-2009 08:24 PM

I love this story. Great car too!
I have never driven a turbo either. How is it?

Baggerdude 01-26-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by gray911 (Post 6220054)
Nice car. I don't have the guts to decide that fast when buying a car this expensive!
Isn't it that the 2010 Turbo will be out soon?;)

Vic

Decisions are made when they are made. Depends on if I can afford the decision and presently I can.

I'm not sure about the 'new Turbo' or when it will pop. But, it will not be any more fun then this one. I'm sure the new car will be just freaking awesome, too.

But, this is the one I got. :cheers:

Baggerdude 01-26-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by fjpdds (Post 6220088)
I love this story. Great car too!
I have never driven a turbo either. How is it?

Well, for one .... it's NEW ! And, the performance of a normally aspirated Porsche is just fantastic. Every one I get is better than the one before .... like Darwin, eh.

But, I suspected the Turbo to be very ungainly around town or at low speeds. But, that is not the case .... it's as EZ to drive slow and around town as the 997 C4S. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was not as 'clean', but it could just be me and the new car. The clutch is EZr to use than the S versions .... different hydraulics? Don't know.

I do have to say tho ... when you stomp on the GO Peddle, the car lurches forward like I can't believe. I did respect the new car and did not trash it ... but, the thing is a MONSTER ! Heck, this is a sub 4 second car !

But, all that said .... I will not be able to do these things with the SO on board. She takes a particular stance on 'driving like a maniac' .... altho, I do not think I do so. I'm a fast driver, and a safe driver .... but, I like to see what the car can do in short runs. I'm not much into seeing if the car can do 200 mph .... but, driving at 'the century mark' on the Super Slab for a while is fine with me .... traffic conditions allowing, of course.

But, back to your question ..... the car is WONDERFUL ! I'm stoked. But, I alway am stoked when I get a new vehicle. Just how we are.

Likemystoppie? 01-26-2009 08:56 PM

HA HA!!

I KNEW IT!!! Congrat's ya bastid!!!

See that?! It's ALL about the right car!! :D

Enjoy it in great health!!

equ 01-26-2009 10:45 PM

Congrats! Seems sensible to "merge" the c4s and the boxsterS, they're just not that different, what's the point of having two sporty porsches? And with the turbo, the extra oomph will entertain for some time to come...

I'm at a bit of a decision point myself - though not quite as swank. I've had a cayman S for 2.5 years, and while I've loved it, I'm beginning to get turned on to 997S's. And then there are 08 vs. 09 decision etc. etc.

BC 01-26-2009 10:55 PM

A nice dealership. Sounds like a winner.

yemenmocha 01-26-2009 10:57 PM

Congratulations on your new car! I think your Midnight Blue with beige will be stunning when the top is down in warmer weather. Enjoy that torque!

sharkster 01-26-2009 11:29 PM

Great story and love the ending;) Enjoy!

Nicolaasdb 01-26-2009 11:38 PM

I know that there will be a new turbo out in 2013 and I think in 2015 as well!!! You made the right choice.....with you heart!! and you will be enjoying a SUPER car for over 3 years.....lucky you!!! and keep on posting images~

Baggerdude 01-26-2009 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb (Post 6220896)
I know that there will be a new turbo out in 2013 and I think in 2015 as well!!! You made the right choice.....with you heart!! and you will be enjoying a SUPER car for over 3 years.....lucky you!!! and keep on posting images~

Thanx for the kind works, Nicolaas .... I'll try to post some more when I get the car home. :burnout: