Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Congratulations! The car looks wonderful.
I too was swayed from the C4S to a TT. Just an amazing beast.
Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Dont dismiss PDK until you drive one. I have COMPLETELY changed my mind after buying an 09
AMG with the 7 speed auto with paddles and blip on downshift. GT3 guys are now really interested
in driving this new tranny on the track. I have faith in it because if Mercedes can do a auto tranny that I like then Porsche can do it better. This AMG tranny is totally fun to drive in sport mode and hitting the paddles.
I had the same/same response when I was moving from my '03 M5 and thinking about the Bangleized '07 M5 with the paddles. I drove one .... I was not impressed.

Yeah, I know that MB and Porsche do it better. And, perhaps if I were into tracking the car I'd be interested. But, after shifting for myself for all these years .... well, I'll stick with that.
Doing an AMG car ... well, there is no choice. But, a totally different experience from a TT IMO.

Maybe one day when I stop saying, "A proper sports car needs a manual shifter", I'll move to the something else. Heck, they may stop making manuals! I do think that Porsche has the paddles (thumb *****?) in the wrong position. Should be under the wheel (F1 style) ... not where the thumbs are IMO.

I'm sure the PDK is wonderful ... but, I'm not interested at this time. I think that Buick will have a form of PDK by the time I need to move into The Villages.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

great story. i would love to see my wife's expression if i came home in a $150k car.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome vehicle, like you I will always choose to shift my own gears.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Bagger... Great car, I saw it at Hoffman last week on the floor... stunning!!!
As far as Ethan and Josh, I will second that they are great individuals. Josh is a terrific salesman and Ethan is the single best service advisor I have ever dealt with. It is guys like theses that keep me coming back to this dealership time and time again.... and again.... and again... well you know what I mean, they know me very well
Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

You sunuvabitch!

DAMN that is so nice. Great story too. Congrats on the TT Cab....really nice one.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
You sunuvabitch!

DAMN that is so nice. Great story too. Congrats on the TT Cab....really nice one.

Thanx, Eric ... I was going to order some 'clear markers' from you as the Porsche ones are pricey ... as we discovered with the C4S. But, the dealership is tossing in oem's at NC. Not bad.

And, they will not ream out the front bumper for a plate either. I did tell them not to, but they said that's SOP.

So, I gotta find something else to buy from you. I still have the 993 to dress up a bit, too.

Yeah ..... it's quite a car.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy Crap! Sweet deal. Nice move. Well played on the acting part. Had your eye on the turbo cab the whole time didn't ya? J/K.

Enjoy.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

The story gets a little better ....

The day after I signed the papers, I was having buyers remorse. You know .... "I don't really need a TT ... I can drive the Boxster S for a year or two. It's a lot of money in these economic times. The TT is just 'over the top'!" You know ... beating yourself up a bit.

So, I emailed Josh and wanted to rescind the deal. One sticking point was that I'd have the C4S for another month ... and the payment. Not a deal breaker, but I was ready to back out of the deal. I can always find another car .... somewhere, eh.

When I got to work the next morning, I had a phone call from Josh before I got my coat off. He said he understood my position ... and before I suggested any remedy, he said he was prepared to "eat the last months lease payment on the C4S".

I smiled and tho't this will make the deal. I know it's not a tremendous amount of money, but a very nice gesture on their part and I'm pleased with the deal.

If my driveway thaws, I'll drive the Boxster S to the dealership manana. Drive the TT home with a passenger who will then drive the C4S back to the dealership.

Now, I have to move the garage spaces around so Kris can garage her CLS550 in the main garage. Small price to pay for a new TT, eh.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
The story gets a little better ....

The day after I signed the papers, I was having buyers remorse. You know .... "I don't really need a TT ... I can drive the Boxster S for a year or two. It's a lot of money in these economic times. The TT is just 'over the top'!" You know ... beating yourself up a bit.

So, I emailed Josh and wanted to rescind the deal. One sticking point was that I'd have the C4S for another month ... and the payment. Not a deal breaker, but I was ready to back out of the deal. I can always find another car .... somewhere, eh.

When I got to work the next morning, I had a phone call from Josh before I got my coat off. He said he understood my position ... and before I suggested any remedy, he said he was prepared to "eat the last months lease payment on the C4S".

I smiled and tho't this will make the deal. I know it's not a tremendous amount of money, but a very nice gesture on their part and I'm pleased with the deal.

If my driveway thaws, I'll drive the Boxster S to the dealership manana. Drive the TT home with a passenger who will then drive the C4S back to the dealership.

Now, I have to move the garage spaces around so Kris can garage her CLS550 in the main garage. Small price to pay for a new TT, eh.
The way your good fortune is going, you should have played the lottery today!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gota911
The way your good fortune is going, you should have played the lottery today!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Two words for you:

Sa Weet!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Verde
Advanced

I've never driven a (997 series) tt either. And I'm really glad that my dealer isn't as friendly as yours. My wife even more so! Good luck with the new p-car.
My only modest counterpoint from a monogamous Porsche owner is to choose one (presumably the TT) and sell off the rest. Build an intimate driving/maintenance/detailing relationship with one and only one. You'll be a better driver, and will slowly and subtly appreciate the nuances and fine engineering of the one you choose. These cars never get old. And when you're a little tired of it, spruce it up. With coilovers, or a supercharger, or a wing or two. The affair begins all over again.
Geez, I'm all teary eyed...
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Hey Bagger (Steve) Its was nice to meet you today... best of luck with your new toy it sure looked nice all cleaned up.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpcourt
Hey Bagger (Steve) Its was nice to meet you today... best of luck with your new toy it sure looked nice all cleaned up.

Hey, Joe ...

Likewise, m'friend.

Picking up the car was really nice. Ethan even tossed a couple mounted rims on the car for me to look at. They were just OK .... OEM's back on the car. But, the entire transaction was very smooth. Great experience all the way 'round.

The Blue Car was very shiny and all sparkles when I left the showroom. But, by the time I got home, it was filthy. Hey .... that's what driving's all about, eh.

I did 150 miles on the car this afternoon after taking the SO to Target and the Vernon Diner for lunch. The car is really fun to drive. It feels sooooo familiar. It has many of the C4S's traits, just amplified. Gas consumption seems to suck when you stick the right peddle down. But, oh what fun it is.

Last edited by Baggerdude; 01-30-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Look what the dealer let me take home ... ! (a bit long)