Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Game Wardens able to cite you for a traffic violation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:07 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Game Wardens able to cite you for a traffic violation?

Returning from the track with my Cayenne T pulling the trailer with my 997 and I get a ticket for passing three cars in a no pass zone. Would you know it, the middle vehicle is a pick up truck (Game Warden), I get pulled over. I started my pass in a passing zone but by the time I was able to pass these slow folks I had entered a no pass zone.
The posted speed limit was 60 and I passed at 70 mph. These guys were traveling at 50 mph. I find it funny, can a game warden cite you for a traffic violation? The ticket states the offense but not the penalty. What's up?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Aren't the double lines merely a reccommendation?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a ticket that an experienced para legal could beat in court. An experienced attorney would certainly have a field day.

BTW, I did not know that a game warden could do that.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Sounds like a ticket that an experienced para legal could beat in court. An experienced attorney would certainly have a field day.

BTW, I did not know that a game warden could do that.
My sentiments exactly, and he did write me a ticket.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Aren't the double lines merely a reccommendation?
It depends on what state you are in. In Vermont they are "suggestions" but in many other states it is illegal to pass on a double yellow.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
gt2r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in an area where the City police, County Sheriffs, Highway Patrol, National Park Rangers and Game Wardens patrol all roads in our county. They can all write tickets but the Park Rangers and game wardens don't usually write up people outside their specific areas. You found a real Pri**.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Idaho ANYONE can give you a ticket. It's a very bad system.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

This is obviously a state-by-state issue.

However, here in Texas they changed the laws a few years back and now any peace officer, commissioned anywhere in the state can issue a traffic citation. It used to be only the DPS (and game wardens and park rangers) that had state-wide license to write up tickets. Now it's any cop, off duty or not, away from the jurisdiction that commissioned him or not, that can write you a ticket. They probably won't because it's a hassle to find a court and judge 800 miles from home, but the law says they can.

And no, I'm not a lawyer but I did look some of this stuff up a while back. Standard disclaimers apply as with any advice you find on the Internet.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Returning from the track with my Cayenne T pulling the trailer with my 997 and I get a ticket for passing three cars in a no pass zone. Would you know it, the middle vehicle is a pick up truck (Game Warden), I get pulled over. I started my pass in a passing zone but by the time I was able to pass these slow folks I had entered a no pass zone.
The posted speed limit was 60 and I passed at 70 mph. These guys were traveling at 50 mph. I find it funny, can a game warden cite you for a traffic violation? The ticket states the offense but not the penalty. What's up?
Well, by your description you are clearly guilty of the following:
1) Passing in a no passing zone (if you are still passing when the double-yellow lines come back, you are breaking the law in the states I've lived in - and no, its not a recommendation, its the law)
2) Speeding. Doing 70mph in a 60mph zone to complete a pass is speeding. I know. I got ticketed for it and thats pretty much what the judge told me.. no matter the reason, even if it was to save your own life (speeding up to complete the pass quicker as it was dark and headlights showed up over a rise coming at me)... its still speeding and you are guilty.

Not sure what a game warden's range is.. but if the road is in a park or forest over which they have jurisdiction, I don't see why not... unless their law enforcement abilities are restricted.

Quick Reply: Game Wardens able to cite you for a traffic violation?