Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting friends drive your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to get a different answer for every person in the world to this question. The ultimate question is:

Are you comfortable with it or are you going to freak out if it isn't within your sight?

Only you are the best judge of who is worthy of driving your new toy. Personally, I think it depends (as do most).

Welcome to the P-car fold and the wonders and headaches that accompany owning such a spectacular car.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to rennlist, and thanks from all to "whoopi".

i let a few friends drive my car when i first got it and they had some fun. no big. then, i had a guy (friend of a friend) that was pretty good at tracking motorcycles take it out and he scared the bejesus out of me on an on-ramp. he was way out of bounds, driving it that hard on cold tires on a dry line after a rain. i very much got the sense that his mentality was that this was not his car so what the hell?

now, i'd let close friends take it out but i'm much more discriminating. since it's not new anymore, i haven't had any requests. a few friends refused to drive it for fear they were taking that first hit of crack. being a porsche junkie probably something to which i'd have to plead guilty. true, it is just a car but i'm a bit more careful with it than my '99 E55.

regarding my wife - the next evolution of this conversation if history repeats - she's "allowed" but won't take it out. she bumps into things with cars and after the last 'bump' in her car, told me the parktronic sensors didn't alert her that the landscaper's truck was in the driveway. we have our own version of "don't ask, don't tell" going now

brendan
Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
You're going to get a different answer for every person in the world to this question. (...) Only you are the best judge of who is worthy of driving your new toy. (...) Welcome to the P-car fold and the wonders and headaches that accompany owning such a spectacular car.
Right on. Ultimately, it's the same as with your toothbrush, your ATM card, your email account, your beach house, your dog, whatever, even your girlfriend... you can have the "it's just a __________" attitude all day long, but eventually your tolerance of when and where and how and who are borrowing it or her, will hit a threshold.

That threshold might not have anything to do with how **** you are, as previously suggested; it may actually not even be attitudinal at all, but rather of cognitive or behavioral nature. But whatever it is, different people will have different thresholds, and those thresholds will be of a different nature.

It's your car. You decide what works best for you.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Soulteacher, you are a good replacement for OCBen if there ever was. A much kinder version where we aren't told how to search but provided the links.
Hey, hey, hey. I not only show you how to search but I provide the links from said search as well.

Happy New Year everybody!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Happy New Year everybody!
Ben is back! You haven't been around here for a few weeks, buddy. Happy New Year to you, too!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good to see you online too, Wolf.

Happy New Year, buddy!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I've actually tried to get friends to drive mine, but they always say "no", citing a fear of damaging it. One guy said "I never drive something I cannot pay for". The exception is my brother BeerBurner, who drove it when the odometer was barely above 100.

I think that I would trust the car more to someone to whom I offered to drive than someone who asked me if they could drive it.

In general I share the sentiments of those who say "share the fun". I tend to associate with responsible people, anyway. Also, mine's a Targa and it is nice sitting in the passenger seat and looking up at the view every now and then!!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:47 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I've owned Porsches for quite a few years and in all those years I can actually count the number of friends who have driven any of my cars. They simply don't ask. Only a couple of my Porsche buds have driven my Porsches and mostly to compare my model with theirs or to get info on a model they're looking to buy......my SO, can always drive, my Brother? NO. Still it's just a car, and it's the people that matter most, not the car. Happy motoring
Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no rule of thumb. It's more to do with your perception of the friend's driving skills than the car.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only pre-requisite for letting friends drive my car is their ability to row a manual. It's not a faberge egg. Everybody's insured and Porsche makes thousands of them every year.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Sure, as long as I get to ____ their wife/GF.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Only my wife and brother in law, and believe me she would rather not drive it for fear of something happening to the car. Mind you she is a good driver and has always driven a manual until the last two cars, Lexus/Cayenne SUV's. My brother in law, whom I trust, who has taken the responsibility of taking care of these vehicles. Otherwise, no chance I would offer a friend to drive my cars; unless, they are offering me to drive their Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche/other exotic. In this case I would make an exception since they already own and appreciate and expensive vehicle and are already competent drivers.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:29 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just a car... I've let people I know and trust take the wheel, even on the 1st day of ownership. Of course I won't invite somebody I don't have confidence in. Honestly, I've never had anyone come right out and ask me if they can drive the car, I know who is an enthusiast and I hand them the keys and say "how about taking me for a ride". My wife, son, and daughter all drove the 964 and 07 997S when I had them, and they drive the GT3. Sharing adds so much to the whole ownership thing.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

when friends ask...just laugh at them and don't answer....they understand that their request was ridiculous

My wife can take the P whenever she wants...comes with the whole marriage thingy!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Mathemagician
Instructor

From a new owner... Sharing is probably the best part of the experience as long as you trust the person to be respectful, which most are almost to a fault. For many people driving a Porsche a once-in-a-lifetime experience and being a part of that is just plain old too much fun to pass up.

Quick Reply: Letting friends drive your car?