Sponsored by:

C4S-The perfect porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,026 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Moderato
Yeah that's why I was asking, I thought the new AWD system was supposed to be a huge improvement. Even more RWD esque then the previous system but unclejosh said he found it to be numb. I wasn't expecting that?????

Just one driver's opinion. You know how subjective these things get. What feels intoxicating to one driver leaves someone else cold. As more cars with the new system meet the road some will agree with numb and others will probably say nimble or agile. Unless they really did screw something up this time.......
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 09 C4S Numbness

Hello all,

My purely qualitative statement about 09 C4S steering and feel is of course in comparison to my '07 C4S...............What surprised me initially about the 997.1 awd car/front end is how planted and connected to the road it feels - yes, that may sound odd to the lurking purists, but, seriously, the front end has excellent feel considering the awd. The car feels like it is fully locked down and gripping, IMHO.

Another comparison I like to make is Porsche to Ducati - in general very similar connection to the road and feel - you can feel the bumps and undulations and can sense the traction. I have had a Ducati 916 since 1995 - still an awesome bike that rails, and one can sense traction and what the road is doing ala Porsche.

Re. 09 C4S, I would love to have one. It is an incredibly tight and refined package, but, I would have to say the front end road feel is not as connected as the older car...

......these days, with the economy the way it is, even the most effete snob Porsche dealer will give test drives to Joe Schmoe (like me) without hesitation !
Try some zero nines........
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 996TTS and a 997C4S Cabrio. The C4S doesn't have the eyeballs in the back of your head acceleration of the 996TTS but on a daily basis less demanding to drive. More user friendly if you want. Having less power also does have some befits in bad weather and when there are just too many cops around. The car is very well balanced and pleasant to drive when you don't push it too much, yet will be rewarding to drive once you push it hard. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is not about being "planted" but about "feel". The rwd cars seem to have more of it than the awd cars. Can't comment on the new car as I didn't do a proper back-to-back when I drove them, but the front end "nods" less.

Quick Reply: C4S-The perfect porsche?