Sponsored by:

Boxster Spare on a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for RPMert:
Can you provide the 986 wheel part number and the tire size? Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought a collapsable spare from LA Dismantlers for $350 including jack & tools, they say it's from a C4S, the tire date is 2001.
The rim is 16" and the tire says 16" but after I blow it up it is about the same diameter as the 17"
on my 997 C2. Fits front & back, clears the brakes and wheel wells and collapses down to 21". 6" wide. Vredenstein tire.
A little peace of mind although I wouldn't want to drive very far on it.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPMert
Yes, will fit 997 brakes and will even fit over 997S front brakes with two or three millimeters to spare. Will not fit over PCCB. Problem: Won't fit in trunk without being slanted and rests extremely close (1/8 inch?!) to closed hood. Here is a 986 spare on a 997S
I ordered one on Monday of this week from a California outfit... They say that they are the largest used Porsche parts shop in the country????
Anyway, they say that they sell several each week for the 997S cars..
I hope it works out... It's a tight fit but everything clears and it has the jack and handle with it... All I need is a small lug wrench and the special socket that came with the car...
I'll let you know if it works....
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by sullivas
Bought a collapsable spare from LA Dismantlers for $350 including jack & tools, they say it's from a C4S, the tire date is 2001.
The rim is 16" and the tire says 16" but after I blow it up it is about the same diameter as the 17"
on my 997 C2. Fits front & back, clears the brakes and wheel wells and collapses down to 21". 6" wide. Vredenstein tire.
A little peace of mind although I wouldn't want to drive very far on it.
I think I would rather have done it your way..... Anyway, it's a nice alternative if the inflated Boxster diesn't fit...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by RPMert
Sounds like a plan.

Here's how the spare is officially configured by Porsche in countries which require spares if you want to sell cars there. I think that's a 986 style (fully inflated) spare
What is the solution of what to do with the flat tire? Does Porsche illustrate on how to transport the holed tire in countries whee they're required????
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
What is the solution of what to do with the flat tire? Does Porsche illustrate on how to transport the holed tire in countries whee they're required????
Slides into in the back seat area with a mere quarter inch clearance to spare.

Also, somebody said you can call the flat bed truck to "tow" only the flat tire to Porsche under their Roadside Assistance plan.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by mglobe
I can't speak directly to the question of a Boxster spare, but I carry a 996 spare tire in my 997S. I've used it on the car, and it works just fine.
How did you deal with the damaged tire? 18 or 19"
Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

With all the talk here I decided to buy a spare. I'm in the car abouT 80-90% by myself on the daily commute so a spare could save me a big headache and I can fit a front or back tire in the passenger seat or maybe even the rear.
I bought a Boxster spare from eBay, then found a "spacesaver" spare on Craigslist and bought that, too planning to try both the inflated and inflatable type to see which I liked better. After committing to buy the second one, I found that it was the same type as the first one!!
So - two things:
1) it seems to be a great solution!! The inflated 17" Continental spare fits very well in the trunk of a C2. I have a nice leather-like bag for it, plus the foam thing with the jack. I think i could still use a simple lug wrench and have the torque wrench in there for now. Also, I want to confirm that the standard lug bolts will work. Otherwise, I think I'm all set. It sucks to give up the storage space, but at least I have peace of mind. (also, I already have two guide bolts but I need to find them and put them with the kit)

2) I have a second tire and oem cover to sell to someone. I have $150 into that tire and the cover, bought on separate eBay auctions, so i want to get that out of it. Let me know if anyone is interested. If I don't here anything from this post, I'll list in the classifieds here and maybe elsewhere, then maybe eBay. Both tires/wheels are in like-new shape and I can provide pics to anyone interested. I don't have the foam insert or the Jack for the set I'm selling, but I might have an old Jack laying around from the 944

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0wanzSCfs8
Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, got this to show collapsible spare and extra room.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
equ
Racer

Jack, that's exactly what I do carrying a 986/996 spare in my cayman S front (which I believe is identical to the 997 front). Probably won't work for the AWD variants... I did not think of removing that DVD area plastic cover, and yes, after a few years with the spare weight on it, it is bent in a bit (and rubbed). But no damage to the hood, even over bad roads, I think the spare stays put well and still leaves room for a bit of groceries. Cute vid!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
mmmazing
Intermediate

I dont think any of these solutions work on rear of c2S or 4S
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmmazing
I dont think any of these solutions work on rear of c2S or 4S
Yes, they will, but the older manuals, when spares came with the cars, suggest moving a front tire to the rear, and using the spare on the front regardless. For A C4, the collapsible tire is probably the only thing that fits in the trunk - Coochas has photos of the setup you can search for. If the "S" brakes are enough larger than my brakes, a spacer may be needed up front for the 987 spare - not sure about the collapsible - easy enough to test - people have done it. For PCCBs, neither tire fits.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spare on a 997?