997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wrong kind of attention? Porsche 997 owner & wife murdered in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 04:21 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Default The wrong kind of attention? Porsche 997 owner & wife murdered in Germany

I hate to ruin your post-Thanksgiving mood, my friends, but this is a very sad story from Germany. According to the Landshut police website (see link) and German newspapers (e.g., article in Bild-Zeitung), the yellow 997TT of the victim may be playing an important role in the crime. The police is seeking witnesses to establish whether he might have been followed home, or if he might have been kidnapped with the Porsche before the crime. The third theory is that a business deal might have gone wrong (the victim was a financial advisor). The crime itself: the 55-year old husband and his 52-year old wife were shot and stabbed to death, and a 32-year old female nurse of the male victim (who was in a wheelchair) was shot in the head and is in critical condition.

My best friend from Germany just emailed me that story (happened 10 days ago); she's trying to convince me that I should better not do the Porsche tourist delivery next summer because of the negative reactions that driving around in a new luxury sports car may cause in an economically depressed Europe. This is so isolated, though, I don't think I should worry. Then again, I always remember how Dan's car was keyed over there, and that was during good times.
Old 11-28-2008 | 04:25 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Unfortunately it is true. More of this is happening in Europe and in the US watch your back, especially if unemployment rises and bad Detroit economic news continues.
Old 11-28-2008 | 08:07 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

One reported case so far does not make it a watch-your-back issue, IMO. I drive my 997 in Detroit every day and have had zero problems or even hints of problems. I don't do anything that is likely to get me shot (not a drug lord, not runnin' hos). My car is insured. I think that is sufficient.
I'm sorry about this incident, but I really don't think there is anything to worry about for me.
Old 11-28-2008 | 08:26 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Wolfgang, that is a very tragic story, but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from Euro pickup. It may however be wise to find accommodations with closed garages and/or security. From the story you posted, it leads me to believe it was more likely a personal matter than vandalism gone too far.

Of course, there are places within 10 minutes of where I grew up that I'd never venture to. It really is a shame.
Old 11-28-2008 | 10:03 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

I used to live 5 minutes from Landshut. It is the quietest, sleepiest town you could imagine. Nothing ever happens. You can only view this tragic event as a one-off.

To those that fear Euro delivery because of Pirates or Robin Hood or whatever it is that people seem to think are roaming the streets of Europe.......come on!!

Next we will be having that discussion about whether or not to take your own bottled water.......
Old 11-28-2008 | 10:26 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

That certainly is a sad story Wolfgang. Frankly the odds of something like this happening are significantly higher in the US than in Germany. As Chris said, it shouldn't put you off from your Euro delivery.
Old 11-28-2008 | 11:29 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Just did a porsche driving thip thru Germany and Austria a few weeks ago and never felt like anyone ever gave me a 2nd thought.

The worst part? having to come back to drive here! LOL!
Old 11-28-2008 | 11:42 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Yes, I'm definitely not thinking about cancelling the tourist delivery. Not yet anyway. I guess my friend and I are a little bit more sensitive to stuff like this because I was the victim of a random street assault as a teen in 1983 (lots of hospital and rehab, and I have kept some minor permanent physical damage from it). But apart from this, I always knew that many Germans are suspicious of "wealth"... so for the first 10 days, I've already booked a hotel with individual garage stalls. And the remainder of the trip is outside Germany and I'm mostly avoiding larger urban areas anyway. The "in your face" perception can always become an issue, even in the best economic times.
Old 11-28-2008 | 03:41 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default If I were to worry about every little thing in life...

with crime, class envy...., I stay home and never leave or live. Use common sense, park in safe visible areas...and don't worry about it. Or else give up all you wordly possesions and live in Cuba where everyone is the same and have very little. Crime there is relatively low...nothing worth stealing. Also try not to flaunt your wealth....more of an attitude than your possessions.
imho
abe
Old 11-28-2008 | 07:51 PM
tkids
Pro

I went around the same time as Dan in 06 and had no negative experiences except being slightly harrassed by under cover police at a rest stop. Where ever we stayed we had the porsche parked in a garage, but a couple of times we didn't. This is why I went with a non descript color, just in case! Doesn't sound like you are planning on going to big cities? My rule of thumb is stay in the country! I stayed away from cities just because that is not what it is about!!! May I highly recommend the NAV, so you don't get lost!!! Random acts of violence can happen anywhere, just be smart which it sounds like you are and use your common sense! Enjoy your trip!
Old 11-28-2008 | 07:52 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

You'd think that they were giving 911s away around here considering the number. I don't think anyone even notices a 911 in Toronto. I think that's good thing but it's probably what also drives some attention seekers to drive substandard but eye-catching cars like a Vantage or Maserati instead of a Porsche.

There is something to be said, however, for not being in a flash car during hard economic times. Luckily there are a ton of really fun compact cheap cars out there like the GTi, MINI JCW and Subaru STi. No 'cheap' cars by any means (you can pay over $50K for a JCW in Canada) but definitely fly under the jealousy radar.
Old 11-29-2008 | 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Well, I think you're wrong. Reports some months ago by ....

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
One reported case so far does not make it a watch-your-back issue, IMO. I drive my 997 in Detroit every day and have had zero problems or even hints of problems. I don't do anything that is likely to get me shot (not a drug lord, not runnin' hos). My car is insured. I think that is sufficient.
I'm sorry about this incident, but I really don't think there is anything to worry about for me.
people living in wel to do areas being followed home and robbed and houses ransacked. In one or two cases, one person forced to go to bank to withdraw money from ATM while other family members held at home.

Seems these crooks scout out victims, learn their pattern of behavior and note security, etc., then strike.

I wouldn't suggest you spend much time worrying about this happening to you, but it pays to be observant. And depending upon where you drive, it pays to be watchful of someone approaching your car while your stopped at a light.

In some areas, in some cities, people have been shot for the wheels the car has fitted, so driving an attractive car ups the risk some.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: The wrong kind of attention? Porsche 997 owner & wife murdered in Germany