Sponsored by:

This is going to hurt- trade in values.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?

The used car market is about as full as one could get. Saturated. Over-full. Obese.
Yup, indeed. I was going to trade my wifes very low mileage car in as part of my purchase, and with the crazy low value they would give me on the trade, its just worth keeping the car, given its near new state (2002 with only 17k miles on it). As some joker totaled my daily driver last week, this frees up the garage slot for the new 911, so no worries about 'where to park it' anymore. So rather than continuing to use the old beast as my beater, I'll be using the other car to do my 'lumber and ladders' hauling.. .just gotta get that roof rack attached.

On the plus side, maybe by the time I get around to trading it in, it will be for a new TDI-Hybrid that gets 70mpg.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a globally complex problem, but I think fundamentally, the US has hit the point where individual borrowing and federal treasury borrowing has hit the limit of what our economic engine will support. Americans owe more then ever before, both individually, and nationally as the US debt hits 11 trillion.

I think the fundamental fix is we're going to (on average) have to go on a shopping diet for a couple years relative to what we manufacture and build. If on the other end of this pipe Americans are required to put more down, and borrow less for purchasing flat screens, SUVs, and homes, we'll be better off.

Economists that propel policies to once again enable excessive lending to promote excessive purchasing (relative to one's means) are just postponing the diet we ultimately need.

But its never fun when the party ends for those that were living near their financial limits. I think prices will continue to drop, from TV's to cars to homes into 2009 as we work our way through this.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by _Nathan
When I bought my 997S six months ago I set myself an upper limit of $100K. Since then the value of my investments have dropped by about 3 times that amount. I wish now that I had bought a Turbo (or a Lambo!).
how right you are
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To all the naysayers, this thread partically proves my point about the beauty of leasing...why stress over buying a "depreciating" asset...Lease a beautiful car, drive the pants off of it, turn it back in, and get a new one...its like xmas every three years....
Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
richc
Pro

Read up on "deflation". Market is filled with product that no one can buy, prices drop. Because no on is buying product, unemployment goes up, more product sits on shelves. It's not just happening in cars. This is a very difficult cycle to get out of.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
To all the naysayers, this thread partically proves my point about the beauty of leasing...why stress over buying a "depreciating" asset...Lease a beautiful car, drive the pants off of it, turn it back in, and get a new one...its like xmas every three years....
True, but I always think the car I just bought will be my ultimate, last car forever
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

if you want to sell your car before the end of your lease, you're going to get hit by this market too, right?

if one bought the car by paying off 100% cash up front, I don't see where the stress is coming from. No monthly payment to worry about. Sure it has depreciate a lot, but nobody forces you to sell it.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
NYNick
Racer

Posts like these are what this Forum is all about...information! Awesome for you to educate us all about this stuff Stoppie...thanks!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Apparently we will begin to see the first shift back towards normality in April 09. The recovery will finally feel like we're close to being back to normal around February 10. In the meantime hang on to what you've got and enjoy it. Let the dealers bleed for scalping us with "market adjustment pricing" and let them figure out how they're going to pay for their health care insurance. Then come back and squeeze their n*ts on pricing on pricing. What goes around comes around.
Gee Whizzz Chef, thanks. LOL

Originally Posted by plz
Chris, just for clarification, in your original post are the numbers you provide for each example the retail prices at your dealership, trade in values at your dealership or some thing else?
Trade in Values. Not Retail Values.

+1 Cole. Leasing is an awesome tool to use. The 911 especially is the exception, not the rule. It's a lot safer to lease a 911 then ANYTHING else out there.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
if you want to sell your car before the end of your lease, you're going to get hit by this market too, right?

if one bought the car by paying off 100% cash up front, I don't see where the stress is coming from. No monthly payment to worry about. Sure it has depreciate a lot, but nobody forces you to sell it.
Tim- You are correct. There will be a market adjustment with the 911, but it won't be nearly as bad as other models. So if you can't get out at 2, or 2.5 years on your 48 month lease, we'll be able to get you out at 36. Still not a bad deal.

Originally Posted by NYNick
Posts like these are what this Forum is all about...information! Awesome for you to educate us all about this stuff Stoppie...thanks!

Nick- this is what I do, and despite eating Ramon Noodles at the moment, I love what I do. LOL
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I tell my wife each day the 911 is the best place our money could have set the year+. If it wasn't in the car I'd be down 40%.
I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have had a similar conversation.

After selling my NSX earlier this year I was really torn. My heart wanted another sports car but the mind told me to invest the money and sit it out. At the end of the day we decided that since we're already doing "all the right things", we should live a little and we ended up buying the Carrera S.

For a while I kept thinking "what have I done"? But each quarter I get my 401K and brokerage statements I realize that the depreciation I'm suffering on my new P car is nothing compared to the evaporation I'm seeing in the market.

Plus... I love driving the damn thing!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim

If you want (read: need? - as that wld be the only circ where negative market conditions wld apply) to sell your car before end of lease term you should not be leasing.

The theory behind leasing is that you pay for the use (cost thereof and interest on that cost) of the asset only - assuming the lease has been appropriately negotiated. To the party leasing, the end value is of no moment (except as part of the negotiation process). To the buyer, the end value is obviously always of importance (as it is what you can get out the transaction for).

Leasing is very smart in circ where the payment is deductible (and one is not using the tool to extend beyond means).

Likemystoppie? - Now, to the important question, will we finally be able to steal Porsches off lease or will the residual be non-negotiable as has been the case????
Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by cello
If you want (read: need? - as that wld be the only circ where negative market conditions wld apply) to sell your car before end of lease term you should not be leasing.

The theory behind leasing is that you pay for the use (cost thereof and interest on that cost) of the asset only - assuming the lease has been appropriately negotiated. To the party leasing, the end value is of no moment (except as part of the negotiation process). To the buyer, the end value is obviously always of importance (as it is what you can get out the transaction for).

Leasing is very smart in circ where the payment is deductible (and one is not using the tool to extend beyond means).

Likemystoppie? - Now, to the important question, will we finally be able to steal Porsches off lease or will the residual be non-negotiable as has been the case????

Cello- go check out my comments on the 997 Turbo forum; I made an example of off lease cars.

Now with regards to stealing a 997? The reality is less then 20% of ALL 911's are leased. That doesn't leave to many cars that go to auction. I'd go as far to say that less then 5% of those cars actually REACH an auction.

They're more then likely traded out and the Porsche dealer has put them into a new 911.

I've made comments on this situation as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I know, I know
Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by cello
^ I know, I know
kewl beans. cos it's bad enough i never shut up let alone having to repeat myself LOL
Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
cmoss

that's why they call it disposable income. also, I gotta say--a fool and their money are soon parted. Who buys a 2008 car, puts just a few miles on it--then wants out? Someone with more money than sense.

Quick Reply: This is going to hurt- trade in values.