Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MMmmm Z8....I like that car!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think it's always wise to live your life worrying about what someone else thinks! I don't have any guilt about how or what I have earned or about how I spend it, life is too short ro waste a millisecond worrying if someone disapproves of my lifestyle!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 AM
pauhana
AutoX

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Yeah, I think it's always wise to live your life worrying about what someone else thinks! I don't have any guilt about how or what I have earned or about how I spend it, life is too short ro waste a millisecond worrying if someone disapproves of my lifestyle!
When the 'what someone else thinks" matters is when those people are involved in helping you create your lifestyle. Those people are supporting my lifestyle and I would like them to continue doing so!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
I fixed that, I don't work.
Me neither. I decided that being a productive member of society was highly overrated. So I retired this year (at age 51) and bought a 911. Now I sleep late, polish my car a lot, and waste time on car forums.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Went for it anyway

My company too is going through layoffs. And I considered the perception of driving in with a new car (even though it's used). But life is too short, 'specially when you've reached 60. I just started DE with my '05 Boxster S in Aug. I know it's all in how you make the turns, but there are times when you need horses in the straights. So i traded in the Boxster for an '06 C2S. Sure, some people at work won't be happy. But I decided to make the best of the DE years ahead of me.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Deansdream
My company too is going through layoffs. And I considered the perception of driving in with a new car (even though it's used). But life is too short, 'specially when you've reached 60. I just started DE with my '05 Boxster S in Aug. I know it's all in how you make the turns, but there are times when you need horses in the straights. So i traded in the Boxster for an '06 C2S. Sure, some people at work won't be happy. But I decided to make the best of the DE years ahead of me.
Yes life is short. up until a year an a half ago I was flying an acrobatic airplane and loving it (44 years of flying does that to you) Well that suddenly came to an end. I was upside down and my balance just didn't seem right so I got my glasses checked. The glasses were fine but they discovered Macular degeneration in both eyes. I choose to ground myself, but I'm not sitting still. I've gone from loops and rolls to apexing a corner in my '83 Sc and or the '09 C2S that should arrive tomorrow. By the way statistics are that 10% of Americans will get Macular degeneration after 75, they discovered mine a month before my 65 birthday. There is no warranty. See the movie "Bucket List" and live every day to the fullest.... I'm doing that and my bride of 41 years totally approves.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM
ATL-Porsche
Advanced

+1 you can't worry about what other people think. Be humble and be modest and just don't make a big deal out of it. It's not like you're going to hide that you're taking your wife on a nice vacation to the Costa Rica, or act like you're eating at Wendy's all the time.

As long as you're not doing burnouts in the parking lot and showing off to everyone at work I don't think it matters. Some people may find you inspiring and work harder to achieve the same one day.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I have chosen not to acknowledge the recession we are in......
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Moderato
Racer

The economy is definitely the reason I haven't bought a 997 yet. The other reason is the 997.2. There's no way I should buy a new 997.2 and since that's the one I want I'm not sure if I should bother buying a 997 now or just wait for a nice CPO 997.2. Right now I'm driving an E92 335i, so I suppose I "could" wait. My past cars were an E46 M3, 330i, & and STI. Like others have mentioned, I don't want to deal with jealousy issues in this bad economy either. If someone has something I don't, instead of getting mad about it like so many people will, I just figure out a way to get one too.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

I have to admit I to feel some shame when driving my 997S to work sometimes. Things have actually been tough for me as I am in Real Estate so I can actually sympathize what people are going through right now. Things are looking up for me but I still have that feeling that this just isn't right. Then I get in my 07 Ford Focus and half way to work I say %^&* that ****T I'm driving the Porshce next time
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I have to admit I to feel some shame when driving my 997S to work sometimes. Things have actually been tough for me as I am in Real Estate so I can actually sympathize what people are going through right now. Things are looking up for me but I still have that feeling that this just isn't right. Then I get in my 07 Ford Focus and half way to work I say %^&* that ****T I'm driving the Porshce next time
Me too, except my car is a POS Honda and there is not a P-car in the garage.

On the bright side, because I am currently unemployed, I don't have to drive my Honda every day!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
I just bought an extended warranty. The new car will come later.

Looks like that's where I'm headed too. Who wrote your extended warranty and how much was it if you don't mind? I asked my dealer about buying my car and selling it back to me CPO'ed and was told.......nope, not any more. Sales tax issues and flak from PCNA were given as excuses.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I paid $1.980 to have mine Porsche Certified
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that I'm in the 50 plus age group, it seems the obits get my attention more and more.
Like the old saying better enjoy it while you can!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
hidalgo
Advanced

I have to chime in here. I ordered a highly optioned Turbo Coupe (from Stoppie) last year and I must say that the recent economic situation really had me thinking. In the end like a lot of people I decided what the hell life is short and I was paying cash so i am going to go ahead and keep it.

I own a business and while we have not had any layoffs as such there has been an elimination of overtime and significant expense reduction imposed on our managers and employees so I was concerned about the new turbo. I was resigned to not driving it to work and even having it delivered from Ohio to another location, a 18 wheeler will never make it to my residence. Then I have a customer who also owns a turbo who I talk cars with a lot and he tells one of my salesman about the Porsche I have coming! I guess the cat is out of the bag.

Quick Reply: No 997 for me--problem for Porsche?