No 997 for me--problem for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I say if you can afford the discomfort, financial cost and the unavoidable public scrutiny of getting a facelift, then you certainly shouldn't flinch about buying a new Porsche.

I'd say to heck with it - go ahead and snag a big-boobed blond to go with your new visage; your co-workers will be too busy yakking to even notice the car!

Now - THAT's funny..
Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I read a lot of UK automotive publications and a frequent theme is "We got the two-finger salute" or "The local populace threw rocks at our car", etc. Maybe a light cover might be in order, Wolfgang...
Woaw, I can totally see that happening in Germany, too, particularly in my hometown of Hamburg where I will spend the first 11 days. As sad as it is, I've already made some modifications. For the first time, instead of staying at the apartment I'm still renting over there, I have arranged for a hotel just outside of Hamburg that offers a few individual (single-car) garages. And during the trip, I will mostly stay away from larger cities, where I believe anti-wealth aggression is generally stronger.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
Return to the 90s tax levels is hardly something to be concerned about. I honestly will not even notice a return to 39.6 marginal. But the economy is a serious concern. & I do notice the massive, massive impact on my sensibly invested portfolio over the last 4 mos. .
if you're so sensibly invested, omg WHAT HAPPENED to yo portfolio???? maybe yo portfolio is as sensitive to tax increases as the economy!!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Woaw, I can totally see that happening in Germany, too
Oh well... how ironic... (or psychic, for that matter)... here are two pics from today's Bild-Zeitung... two young, drunk French tourists stole a bucket of paint from a construction zone in Berlin last night and dumped it on a 911... they caught them on the spot, but still.
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That poor 993... The horror.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting to hear from other business owners who have struggled with the perception problem regarding their employees.

I've had the same argument in my head for the last 4 years. I didn't drive the Porsche to work for over a year because I was concerned about morale issues.

In the end, I realized I bought the car to drive each day and not sit in the garage waiting for the weekend.

No matter how well you pay your employees, no matter how many benefits you provide, there will still be some who feel that the owner is somehow spending money on a car that should "rightfully be theirs".

It will never occur to them that you (the owner) have sacrificed, taken risks and created jobs for them. So I finally just started driving it to work. Nothing can be done to make someone else happy. That comes from within.

Last edited by CBejbl; 11-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
welbo
Intermediate

It will never occur to them that you (the owner) have sacrificed, taken risks and created jobs for them. So I finally just started driving it to work. Nothing can be done to make someone else happy. That comes from within.
You are spot on. I work for someone and will love my boss to be driving a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo or Maserati. Even if u drive a Audi A4 or A6 to work, people will still "talk" if they are unhappy with the company.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
rmillnj
Racer

I think though that in the US it is going to be "politically correct" to avoid any shows of "conspicious consumption". And unfortunately a Porsche is considered by many to be a totally unacceptable symbol of over indulgence. In case you didn't notice, this last election was all about class warfare and class envy. And those without have the votes and will empower the politicians to shameless take what they can from those who have it and give to those who don't. A Porsche marks you as one who has it, even if you really don't.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmillnj
In case you didn't notice, this last election was all about class warfare and class envy. And those without have the votes and will empower the politicians to shameless take what they can from those who have it and give to those who don't.
Bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... I recommend you get a membership and visit the OT... that's where the political poop is discussed; you'll be very happy there. If you do a search, you'll see that a lot of people are trying very hard to keep the 997 forum free from political propaganda.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... bla... I recommend you get a membership and visit the OT... that's where the political poop is discussed; you'll be very happy there. If you do a search, you'll see that a lot of people are trying very hard to keep the 997 forum free from political propaganda.
+1

Reading about business owner employee motivation and moral was bad enough (j/k Forgive me I'm an aviator by trade)

Back on topic... Seriously tho I'm from the school of I don't care what anyone thinks, I get what I like etc.. And lastly I don't see whats the big deal. I'm mean It's just car for pete's sake.. Just an opinion
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is a 991 ? I thought the next one would be a 998
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I'm in commercial real estate. I meet a lot of clients at properties, not so many lately, my car makes me look successfull. People want to do business with people who are successfull.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 AM
pauhana
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I'm in commercial real estate. I meet a lot of clients at properties, not so many lately, my car makes me look successfull. People want to do business with people who are successfull.
-that's great & makes sense. But it doesn't work that way when you have employees... I can afford a Porsche but business is soft and bonuses next month will not be as large as prior years. The last thing I want is employees thinking I took part of their bonus to pay for my car!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by pauhana
-that's great & makes sense. But it doesn't work that way when you have employees... I can afford a Porsche but business is soft and bonuses next month will not be as large as prior years. The last thing I want is employees thinking I took part of their bonus to pay for my car!
I foresee your approach as the one that's more widely used rather then the 'drive up to a clients in a Porsche'.

Regardless- I realize the sensitivity in the matter. I for one, if I could afford it- would be hard pressed to not purchase a Porsche. I'd just keep it at a secret location where I can admire it and let her run free!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
pauhana
AutoX

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I foresee your approach as the one that's more widely used rather then the 'drive up to a clients in a Porsche'.
Regardless- I realize the sensitivity in the matter. I for one, if I could afford it- would be hard pressed to not purchase a Porsche. I'd just keep it at a secret location where I can admire it and let her run free!
Well, I already have a car parked at a secret location. I also have a 2000 Z8 I have never driven to work. In fact, I drive it rarely but with my C2s going byebye, I might use it a bit more. I am actually playing up the end of my Porsche lease up to management a bit -as a gentle reminder that I am making small sacrifices too and I'm going to expect them too as well.

Quick Reply: No 997 for me--problem for Porsche?