Sponsored by:

Just did first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just did first oil change

I just changed the oil in my 08 997S at 2040 miles now that I have completed break-in period. It would sure be easier if this thing had a dipstick. After draining the oil and replacing the filter I put in 8 quarts (5W-40 synthetic), figuring that I would check the level before adding more to make sure I don't overfill it. But now I have to wait an hour before the display will show me the oil level. I'll probably need to add some oil to top it off, then wait again before the display will show me if it is full yet. What a hassle. Why couldn't they just put a dipstick in this engine?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:12 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Dipstick, what's a dipstick? :>)
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Congrats, you just saved yourself 100's and 100's of $ at the dealership..

...just do it again at the 2 year check with proper documentation and you'll save $650-750. As long as you document with receipts/pictures your warranty is okay. Frankly, I am old school and change it 5000 miles (use to be 3000miles, but with better oils I do 5k).
abe
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, every 5K.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PITA, isn't it. I'll agree. I don't see why they could not put a dipstick in or provide an oil level system that reports back the level immediately.

7.5k (or annually with very low annual mileage and non-hard driving) is probably just fine, I'm thinking.

What about the filters - where are you sourcing them?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys what is the suggested maintenance on these cars? I am leasing mine, so while I want to adhere to the guidelines so as to not void the warranty, I am also not inclined to do more than I need to do on the car other than keeping it running in solid shape. So, other than the 1200 miles oil break in change, I then changed at 7500 again. Car now has 12K miles, and I plan to change it again at 15K miles, when the car will be 1 1/2 years old. So, any advice on what I need to do at either 20K miles or two year mark? thanks much
Old 11-04-2008, 05:41 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Minok
PITA, isn't it. I'll agree. I don't see why they could not put a dipstick in or provide an oil level system that reports back the level immediately.

7.5k (or annually with very low annual mileage and non-hard driving) is probably just fine, I'm thinking.

What about the filters - where are you sourcing them?
Yeah, from here on I'll change the oil once a year which should be about 8k miles. I just wanted to do one after break-in just to be safe. I plan to keep this car for a long time.

I bought the filter from the dealer ($23.20). I also bought a filter wrench ($35.68) and a drain plug seal ($0.55) from the dealer. The Porsche filter wrench works fine but is so tight that it is difficult to get it off the filter housing after removing the old filter. FYI, the filter wrench also requires a 28mm (or 1 1/8") socket and the drain plug requires an 8mm hex wrench.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cole328
Guys what is the suggested maintenance on these cars? I am leasing mine, so while I want to adhere to the guidelines so as to not void the warranty, I am also not inclined to do more than I need to do on the car other than keeping it running in solid shape. So, other than the 1200 miles oil break in change, I then changed at 7500 again. Car now has 12K miles, and I plan to change it again at 15K miles, when the car will be 1 1/2 years old. So, any advice on what I need to do at either 20K miles or two year mark? thanks much
As of 2008 the oil change interval recommended by Porsche is every 12,000 miles. If you are leasing then there is no benefit to you for changing it more frequently than that, all though it may benefit the next guy they sell it to after you return it when your lease is up.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

so maybe i'm dumb, but what did you do with the old oil? pour it back into the bottles - and take it to..??
Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Cope
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
so maybe i'm dumb, but what did you do with the old oil? pour it back into the bottles - and take it to..??
I take the old oil to my local Advanced Auto Parts to be recycled. I believe most chain automotive stores offer this service.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I just changed the oil in my 08 997S at 2040 miles now that I have completed break-in period. It would sure be easier if this thing had a dipstick. After draining the oil and replacing the filter I put in 8 quarts (5W-40 synthetic), figuring that I would check the level before adding more to make sure I don't overfill it. But now I have to wait an hour before the display will show me the oil level. I'll probably need to add some oil to top it off, then wait again before the display will show me if it is full yet. What a hassle. Why couldn't they just put a dipstick in this engine?
Suggest you NOT add oil based on the electronic gauge reading immediately after your oil change. You added 8 quarts, but are you sure that you drained 8 quarts?

As you say, why can't they just give us a dipstick

Also, these guys have great prices. I think their filter prices are about $12.50 http://www.sunsetimports.com/directi...p?make=Porsche

Last edited by uzj100; 11-04-2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Af Joe suggests, measure carefully what you take out and then simply replace it. I suggest doing what I have been doing for years with 911s. Take a 5 gallon paint bucket (you can get an orange one from Home Depot) and cut it down in size so that it easily fits beneath your 911 without jacking up the car. Scribe within the inside of it lines for each 2 quarts of level. Dump your crankcase into it and then look at how much is in there. (It will be about 8 quarts). Then simply put that much back in.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Strange my oil level gauge only takes about 6 minutes to reset after running the engine. Don't know why you have to wait an hour. I think if I try to turn the key immediately after running the engine it might give some long countdown but if I sit there for a minute or so and try the key again it shows 6 or so minutes.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Af Joe suggests, measure carefully what you take out and then simply replace it. I suggest doing what I have been doing for years with 911s. Take a 5 gallon paint bucket (you can get an orange one from Home Depot) and cut it down in size so that it easily fits beneath your 911 without jacking up the car. Scribe within the inside of it lines for each 2 quarts of level. Dump your crankcase into it and then look at how much is in there. (It will be about 8 quarts). Then simply put that much back in.
That's a good idea, I'm going to do that from now on. I guess I got lucky this time because when I rechecked the oil level at hour later it was right on the full mark. Before I drained the oil it was about a half quart low so that means I must have only drained about 7.5 quarts. That's probably because the back end of the car was on ramps so not quite all of the oil drained out.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW911
Strange my oil level gauge only takes about 6 minutes to reset after running the engine. Don't know why you have to wait an hour. I think if I try to turn the key immediately after running the engine it might give some long countdown but if I sit there for a minute or so and try the key again it shows 6 or so minutes.
According to page 121 of the owner's manual "The time taken for engine oil to flowback depends on the engine temperature and how long the engine has been stopped...This waiting time is counted down in the on-board computer display..."

Quick Reply: Just did first oil change