Sponsored by:

Just did first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Af Joe suggests, measure carefully what you take out and then simply replace it. I suggest doing what I have been doing for years with 911s. Take a 5 gallon paint bucket (you can get an orange one from Home Depot) and cut it down in size so that it easily fits beneath your 911 without jacking up the car. Scribe within the inside of it lines for each 2 quarts of level. Dump your crankcase into it and then look at how much is in there. (It will be about 8 quarts). Then simply put that much back in.
Thats a great suggestion with two caveats:

1) If your oil was low, that would not be accounted for
2) Oil thats left in the filter you also changed would not be accounted for

So I'd say, start with the amount you drained out, and expect to have to add a bit more after that.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize the oil change was >500 clams; I suppose I'll do my own as well.

Would one of you experienced guys tell me if it requires draining 2 areas, the pan and the reservoir? I had a Boxster and the oil change it was like any other car, but I thought the 997 required draining 2 places.

Any pics would be helpful.

If no one can post pics, I have a lift and maybe I will post pics to help the next guy when I do mine..

Do you re-set the maintenance reminder?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ImaReallyCheapGuy
Would one of you experienced guys tell me if it requires draining 2 areas, the pan and the reservoir? I had a Boxster and the oil change it was like any other car, but I thought the 997 required draining 2 places.
There is no oil pan on a boxer engine.

See here for instructions:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...62&postcount=1
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM
ImaReallyCheapGuy
Advanced

^^^^ Perfect! Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you have a regular 997 (Carrera or Carrera S) and not a Turbo, GT3 or GT3 RS or GT2 then it drains from one spot,--immediately beneath the engine. If you have those others,--you will drain from two places,--the engine case, and the oil reservoir.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Thats a great suggestion with two caveats:

1) If your oil was low, that would not be accounted for
2) Oil thats left in the filter you also changed would not be accounted for

So I'd say, start with the amount you drained out, and expect to have to add a bit more after that.
There is never any oil "left in the oil filter" with the newer oil cartridges. They are merely paper and can't hide any oil in them.

When I do an oil change that includes the filter, I simply maneuver my oil catcher to cover both the main drain and the area immediately beneath the filter cannister area. You don't spill any oil and you get a good reading on how much oil you removed.

If you measure your oil before you do an oil change you should know roughly how much is in the system before you get started. I routinely do my oil changes when I'm down a quart so I'm not wasting a fresh quart of oil that I'm going to dump out in a week.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a helpful hint when doing your first oil change.

Slowly back out the drain plug a few turns to regulate the flow of oil draining from the motor.

If you're overzealous and remove the plug completely (w/ a full load of oil) it flows like gusher. 8 or 9 quarts of oil trying to pass through a 3/4" hole creates a bit of back pressure.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
MartyB
Racer

I'm just about due for an oil change on my '08 C2S, so I called a local independent guy that came very highly recommended and he quoted $225 for Mobile 1, Porsche filter, etc. I've never changed the oil in a P car myself - for $225, is it worth the effort to go buy the stuff, do it myself and then find a place to recycle the oil? I would definitely do it myself at $600. Whaddayou guys think?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
I'm just about due for an oil change on my '08 C2S, so I called a local independent guy that came very highly recommended and he quoted $225 for Mobile 1, Porsche filter, etc. I've never changed the oil in a P car myself - for $225, is it worth the effort to go buy the stuff, do it myself and then find a place to recycle the oil? I would definitely do it myself at $600. Whaddayou guys think?
Yes, it is worth it to make this a DIY job. I had never personally changed the oil on any of my previous cars, but did so in my 996. It is very easy and my last oil change was something like $92 for the oil (Wal-Mart), the filter and a new crush ring (Porsche dealer).

I got a 10 quart oil pan which had a screw off top at Autozone. See link below.

Oil Drain Pan

After oil ihas drained screw the top back on, put the container in a plastic bag (just in case...) and take the oil to Autozone. They will dispose of it for free.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
Total cost to do it myself was $89 for the oil (Castrol synthetic) and Porsche filter plus another $35 for the Porsche filter wrench. Changing the oil in my 08 C2S was no more difficult than any of the many other cars I have owned. The most difficult was my 05 MINI Cooper because the filter was hard to reach back behind the engine, and impossible to remove without making a mess.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

I got a 10 quart oil pan which had a screw off top at Autozone. See link below.

Oil Drain Pan
The "oil drain pan" links to a brake caliper for me...

Quick Reply: Just did first oil change